|This article or section may require cleanup. The spelling, grammar, or formatting may need attention. The content may be out of place, overwritten, and/or contradictory. You can help the Critical Role wiki by reviewing this article and cleaning it up.
Sections needing work: - Episode-by-episode
- 1 Description
- 2 Biography
- 2.1 Background
- 2.2 "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18)
- 2.3 "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19)
- 2.4 "Crimson Diplomacy" (1x25)
- 2.5 "Return to Vasselheim" (1x43)
- 2.6 "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44)
- 2.7 "Those Who Walk Away" (1x45)
- 2.8 "A Cycle of Vengeance" (1x58)
- 2.9 "Trust" (1x70)
- 2.10 "The Siege of Emon" (1x78)
- 2.11 "What Lies Beneath the Surface" (1x81)
- 2.12 "Vecna, the Ascended" (1x114)
- 2.13 "The Chapter Closes" (1x115)
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Character Information
- 5 Quotations
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Zahra is a red tiefling with long curved horns, white hair, and pale eyes. She fights with an iron staff featuring four dragons carved at the end holding a moonstone planet in their mouths. When asked about the staff, Zahra mentioned that she made it herself.
Over time she began to warm to Vox Machina and became much less distant, eventually becoming both an ally and a friend. Zahra is very sure-footed, passionate and quick-witted. She is easily moved by tragedy and holds empathy for those trapped or imprisoned.
Zahra came from a dark, mountainous area far away from Vasselheim. She lived in a castle with her father, a dark wizard who kept her in a cage. Her father was eventually killed and Zahra was left alone in the woods.
Her first time being outside after her father died was at night and when she looked up at the moon it sang to her and saved her life, which she was in awe of. This was presumably her patron, who's heavily linked to the moon.
"Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18)
Zahra was assigned to work with half of Vox Machina: Scanlan, Percy, Grog, Vex, and Trinket. Lyra, a human woman already in the guild, was assigned to be the group leader. Together, they were required to find and slay an adult white dragon in order to gain entrance to the Slayer's Take, a hunting guild in Vasselheim.
Zahra was initially met with distrust by many members of the group, especially Vex'ahlia. Vex was extremely anxious and unhappy about being separated from her twin brother. When the party set up shifts for guarding their camp, Vex firmly insisted that she take the same watch as Zahra, not wanting the party to be left vulnerable. This led to a conversation where the two bonded over lost parents and hardships in their childhoods.
"Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19)
"Crimson Diplomacy" (1x25)
Zahra sent her cousin Lillith to Vox Machina in order to seek refuge and help.
"Return to Vasselheim" (1x43)
Zahra was reunited with Vox Machina alongside fellow guild member Kashaw when the party traveled to the holy city of Vasselheim to find allies to aid them against the Chroma Conclave. She agrees to aid Vox Machina in their fight against the dragons and convinces Kashaw to aid as well.
Later on, at the Bellow's Respite Inn, she tells Grog Strongjaw that she made a hammer with a full moon crest on it in honor of his victory at the Crucible. She mentions that she likes to forge in her spare time, and promises to give it to him before they leave Vasselheim. She is the only one to clap for Grog when a bartender announces him as the champion of the Crucible.
"The Sunken Tomb" (1x44)
Kashaw and Zahra helped Vox Machina recover one of the Vestiges of the Divergence from the sunken tomb of Purvan Suul. Zahra was the one to land the final blow on the beholder. When Vex'ahlia died from a trap in the tomb, Zahra administered a healing potion, but it had no effect. During Kashaw's ritual to resurrect her, Zahra aided by calling on her patron.
"Those Who Walk Away" (1x45)
"A Cycle of Vengeance" (1x58)
In the aftermath of the surprise rakshasa attack, Vox Machina was relieved to find Zahra safe and undisturbed.
Vex visited Zahra in her room only to find her asleep at her desk, face buried in books. Zahra revealed that she'd been helping Allura in researching the Ziggurat beneath Whitestone, and the Siphon within it, but that it was all a little tiring. She had, however, managed to find time to create one Arrow of Dragon Slaying, though Vex wasn't entirely pleased with the discounted price of 12,000 gold.
"The Siege of Emon" (1x78)
With the final battle fast approaching, Vex'ahlia went to Zahra's room in Whitestone Castle to ask for her help. The two briefly reconnected and joked about getting matching tattoos for having both killed white dragons, Rimefang for Zahra and more recently Vorugal for Vex. In the end, Zahra agreed to come with them regardless of the danger.
Before setting off to meet their allies for the upcoming fight, Zahra pulled Vex aside to express her concerns about Raishan, revealing that she'd been keeping an eye on the disguised dragon during her stay in Whitestone but couldn't glean much, saying "I found out that I knew nothing about her. And she knows everything about me."
Later during the planning of the siege, she telepathically warned Kashaw to be wary of Raishan too, and afterward reminded Vex again that "If it comes to it, I’ll go down taking her out." In the sewers beneath Emon, Zahra used her Beast Speech invocation to reassure Trinket, telling him how much Vex loves him.
At the entrance to the Cloudtop District, Zahra proposed she and Kash distract the fire giant guards and buy Vox Machina time to get to Thordak. After a brief goodbye and wishing the group good luck, Zahra cast Evard's Black Tentacles and ensnared the two giants, screaming for the group to go while Kash and herself "had some fun".
"What Lies Beneath the Surface" (1x81)
After their battle with Thordak and Raishan, Vox Machina was pleased to find that Zahra and Kash had survived to fend off reinforcements. While everyone took a rest to recover from their respective fights, the group noticed that Zahra had already been healed to full, likely by Kash who only had 'a little bit' of healing left in him. Zahra was among those who returned to Whitestone with Vox Machina and numerous allies.
"Vecna, the Ascended" (1x114)
Zahra and Kashaw, riding a pair of wyverns, arrived at Entropis during Vox Machina's battle against Vecna. The duo managed to help out a bit, with Zahra attacking the newly risen deity and Kashaw healing the wounded members of Vox Machina. However, Zahra, Kashaw, and their wyverns were soon targeted by one of Vecna's Hold Monster spells, paralyzing all four of them. They were last seen falling past the tower, down into the mist below and out of sight.
"The Chapter Closes" (1x115)
Kash and Zahra were revealed to have survived the fall and made a brief appearance in the final episode of Campaign 1. It was here that Kashaw revealed that he and Zahra were expecting. Zahra was convinced that it would be twins since twins were unusually common in her family.
By the time of Vecna's attack on Vasselheim, the two had already been romantically involved for over a year. As of 812 PD they were expecting their first child together—or possibly children, as twins run in Zahra's family.
- Eldritch Invocations (6)
- Mystic Arcanum
- Otherwordly Patron (The Great Old One)
- Awakened Mind
- Entropic Ward
- Thought Shield
- Pact Boon (Pact of the Tome)
- Pact Magic (Charisma-based spellcasting)
- Beast Speech
- Sculptor of Flesh
- Eyes of the Rune Keeper
- Fiendish Vigor
- Mask of Many Faces
- Agonizing Blast
- Evard's Black Tentacles
- Hold Monster
- Mass Suggestion
- Finger of Death
- Cloak of the Bat: In dim light or darkness, allows the wearer to fly and, once per day, polymorph oneself. Used in "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) for both purposes.
- Dark Staff
Moonhammer: Crafted by Zahra. Gifted to Grog in "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44). Arrow of Dragon-Slaying: Crafted by Zahra for Vex after their fight with Rimefang. Given to Vex in "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44).
- Zahra/Mary: "Welcome to hentai!" (Upon successfully grappling two fire giants with Evard's Black Tentacles)
- Zahra has the highest charisma score of any guest player character.
- Zahra is the first guest player character (the next four being Kerrek, Tova, Shakaste, and Twiggy) to have achieved a How do you want to do this?.
- In the Critical Role Major Arcana Tarot Card Set, she represents XVIII - The Moon.
- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn said in a Q&A that Zahra feels attractiveness goes beyond the physical, that there was an "attraction to someone's soul".
- Zahra stated in a conversation with Vex'ahlia that she came from the land of Feren. See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) from 1:18:46 through 1:20:40.
- See "Talks Machina #5: 'The Siege of Emon'" (TMx05) at 9:11.
- See "The Chapter Closes" (1x115) at 00:43:40.
- See "The Chapter Closes" (1x115) at 37:49.
- Zahra's stat card was shown onscreen. Her spell DC was calculated from the D&D Player's Handbook, 5th ed., p. 107, and does not account for potential DC-modifying items or blessings. See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) at 0:25:33.
- Zahra's level 13 stats were shown onscreen. See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78) at 2:28:07.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 1:18:47.
- See "Critical Role Q&A and Battle Royale!" (Sx08) at 52:39.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) from 3:23:26 through 3:26:23.
- See "Crimson Diplomacy" (1x25) at 2:20:00.
- See "Return to Vasselheim" (1x43) at 12:59.
- See "Return to Vasselheim" (1x43) at 40:03.
- See "Return to Vasselheim" (1x43) from 49:05 through 49:43.
- See "Return to Vasselheim" (1x43) at 1:25:18.
- See "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) at 4:15:48.
- See "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) at 4:25:22.
- See "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) at 4:29:19.
- See "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) at 04:45:23.
- See "The Chapter Closes" (1x115) at 00:43:40.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) at 30:10.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 2:20:22. Zahra used her Beast Speech ability.
- See "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) at 0:55:36. Zahra used her Sculptor of Flesh ability.
- See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78) at 3:05:44.
- See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78) at 3:57:55. Zahra used her Agonizing Blast ability.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 1:58:12. Zahra casts Eldritch Blast.
- See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78) at 3:02:29. Zahra casts Light.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 0:38:04. Zahra casts Mending.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 2:01:32. Zahra casts Thaumaturgy.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) at 3:23:00. Zahra casts Hellish Rebuke.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 1:58:02. Zahra casts Hex.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) at 2:12:46. Zahra casts Witch Bolt.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 1" (1x18) at 1:03:58. Zahra casts Suggestion.
- See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78) at 3:45:52. Zahra casts Evard's Black Tentacles.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 2" (1x19) at 0:30:27. Zahra casts Mass Suggestion.
- See "Vecna, the Ascended" (1x114) at 2:46:35. Zahra casts Finger of Death.
- See "Critical Role Q&A and Battle Royale!" (Sx08) at 3:06:23.
- See "The Sunken Tomb" (1x44) at 4:43:18.
- See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78) at 3:53:02.
- See "Critical Role Q&A and Battle Royale!" (Sx08) at 1:32:18.
- Fan art of Zahra with her player's likeness, by Jet (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Zahra casting Hellish Rebuke, by Brandon Chang (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Zahra entangling two fire giants, by Brandon Chang (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Zahra and Kashaw, by Violet Trevino (source). Used with permission.