Yussa Errenis is a powerful elven mage who is the owner of the Open Quay district in Nicodranas. He resides in the Tidepeak, a magical tower in the Open Quay. As an NPC, Yussa Errenis is played by Matthew Mercer.
- 1 Description
- 2 Biography
- 2.1 Background
- 2.2 "Homeward Bound" (2x48)
- 2.3 "Family Gathering" (2x71)
- 2.4 "A Tangled Web" (2x77)
- 2.5 "The Folding Halls" (2x80)
- 2.6 "Dark Bargains" (2x83)
- 2.7 "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84)
- 2.8 "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97)
- 2.9 "Traveler Con" (2x108)
- 2.10 "New Homes and Old Friends" (2x111)
- 2.11 "The Neverending Day" (2x125)
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Character Information
- 5 Quotations
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Yussa is an aged male elf with light brown skin. He has chiseled features, though there are some crow's feet wrinkles that are creeping in to show his age. He has short, stark white hair that curls up into a wave swipe. Yussa is shorter than an average elf, standing roughly at 5 feet or a little under. He wears a long robe woven of threads that mimic the shimmer of gold.
Yussa is incredibly shy and secretive, rarely venturing outside of his tower in the Open Quay. He primarily relies on his personal assistant, Wensforth, to take care of his business, and very rarely grants audiences to ordinary people. He has a great love for drinking tea.
Yussa appears not to care about the morality of his actions, and believes that the means are always justified if the end is to preserve balance and peace. He assured Caleb that he should have no qualms about using other people to achieve his goals, a statement which made Caleb clearly uncomfortable.
Yussa is a transgender man.
Of Gwardan descent, Yussa told the Mighty Nein that he has been practicing the arcane arts in seclusion for over two hundred years. According to Marion Lavorre, he is at odds with the Clovis Concord.
"Homeward Bound" (2x48)
The Mighty Nein visited Tidepeak in the evening and attempted to make an appointment with Yussa by way of his assistant, Wensforth. Wensforth suggested that if there truly was an emergency as they claimed, they should return in the morning and try again to meet with Yussa.
The following morning, the Mighty Nein returned to the tower. At first, only Caduceus Clay and Beauregard were granted admission to Tidepeak to talk with Yussa. After showing him both the Happy Fun Ball of Tricks and the dodecahedron, and a tense discussion about their loyalties, Beauregard indicated that they "all know that corruption runs rampant in both the Empire and the Clovis Concord," and that she wanted nothing to do with that. This seemed to resonate enough with Yussa to allow the rest of the Mighty Nein entrance to Tidepeak.
Yussa told the party that the Happy Fun Ball of Tricks was dangerous, and that he would keep it to study, allowing them to come look at it in his presence. In return, he allowed Caleb to memorize a teleportation circle on one of the the upper floors of his tower, giving the party an anchor on the Menagerie Coast. Yussa was concerned by the dodecahedron, which he identified as blending elements of arcane and divine magic in a way totally unknown to him. He warned them to remove it from Jester's haversack only when absolutely necessary and for short periods of time.
"Family Gathering" (2x71)
Caleb used Teleportation Circle to return the Mighty Nein to Tidepeak unannounced. Wensforth escorted them to the sitting room where Yussa met with them and requested information on their activities. They told him about the Laughing Hand, and although he didn't recognize the name, he agreed to research it. Yussa told them the war was not going well for the Empire, and although he pressed to know where they had come from, Caleb avoided answering. Yussa asked to see the dodecahedron, and the party said they were keeping it in a hidden spot, as it was too dangerous to carry around. When the party told him about finding devices opening up portals to the Abyss, Yussa shared that there had recently been at least two demonic incursions in the Empire, at Zadash and Pride's Call.
"A Tangled Web" (2x77)
"The Folding Halls" (2x80)
When the Mighty Nein teleported back to Tidepeak after their failed attempt to stop Obann, Yasha and The Laughing Hand at the Wraithroot Tree, they were informed by Wensforth that Yussa had been in the Heirloom Sphere for about three weeks. The Mighty Nein decide to go after Yussa and try to find him.
"Dark Bargains" (2x83)
The Mighty Nein find and retrieve Yussa from the Prison of Soot in the Folding Halls of Halas and return to Tidepeak, bringing Halas's body and soul gem. Allura Vysoren performs a ritual and they learn that the Angel of Irons is actually Tharizdun.
"Titles and Tattoos" (2x84)
Yussa suggests that they enlist the aid of Oremid Hass, whom he believes is one of the least corrupt members of the Cerberus Assembly. He gives them a letter of introduction, their share of the gold he's recovered from the Archmage's Bane, and a Revivify diamond. Yussa challenges Caleb to complete the body transformation spell that Halas was working on, and Caleb promises Nott he'll try. Yussa then locks the soul gem in a pocket dimension. The Nein leave Willi with him for repairs when they depart.
"The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97)
"Traveler Con" (2x108)
After teleporting from Rumblecusp, the Mighty Nein spoke briefly with Yussa about the Eyes of Nine. Yussa couldn't recall anything but said that he would do some research for them.
"New Homes and Old Friends" (2x111)
"The Neverending Day" (2x125)
The Mighty Nein spoke further to Yussa about the Somnovem. He retrieved the gem containing the soul of Halas Lutagran from its pocket dimension and Caleb had a conversation with him. Yussa gave them two healing potions and loaned them a Blast Scepter, then used Teleportation Circle to transport the party to Allura's Ivory Tower in Emon.
- Mage Hand
- Leomund's Secret Chest
- Globe of Invulnerability
- Astral Projection
- Heirloom Sphere (given to him by the Mighty Nein)
- A ruby containing the soul of Halas (given to him by the Mighty Nein and currently locked in a pocket dimension)
- "At a certain level of arcane practitioning, morality becomes a bit ambiguous." 
- Yussa: "I am willing to share knowledge based on the development of our friendship and proven loyalty."
Nott: "How do we prove our loyalty?"
Yussa: "By not fucking me over."
- "I am generally uncomfortable making deals regarding passing glances at world shattering artifacts, if that be the case; but you have blessed me with fine tea this day."(to Caduceus) 
- Cadeceus: "Obviously you are so much more powerful than we are that it would behoove us to be a little careful."
Jester: "Yeah, he could probably kill us all right now if he wanted to or something."
Caduceus: "I mean really, he probably could."
Yussa: "You are not incorrect."
- "I do not say I am on the side of good and right. I am on the side of maintaining a balance in which society can exist."
- "I followed them...into sometimes...stupid and unnecessary circumstances. Many of them died helping me. Many of them I outlived. But I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't at least trust in the power of others."(advice to Caleb, based on Yussa's past companions)
- "Use who you need to; but know everyone can be useful if you mete out their skills."(Yussa's parting advice to Caleb)
- "We have similar but different paths. We both wish to avoid choosing. The difference is you wade in the flames while I prefer to stay far away."
- Jester Lavorre giving him a hand made figure of and pamphlet about The Traveler was one of the only moments that visibly confused Yussa during his meeting with the Mighty Nein in "Homeward Bound" (2x48).
- Yussa may not be who he appears to be; he states that he cannot go to the Hall of Erudition, as their ability to dispel glamours would prevent him from "free entry and wandering", though he does not clarify what this means.
- A portion of the fanbase has theorized that Yussa might be a gold dragon in disguise based on his color scheme, eye color, and love for formal magical training. He also kept a scroll of Plane Shift in a small chamber in his tower written in Draconic.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 0:39:48.
- See "Cat and Mouse" (2x128) at 3:04:08.
- See "Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) at 3:01:09.
- See "Cat and Mouse" (2x128) from 2:56:05 through 2:58:30. Yussa is seen under the effects of Astral Projection, a 9th level spell, which would indicate he's at least a 17th-level wizard. However, he wasn't seen casting the spell, so it's possible the effects were created by an item or other source. Thus his level can't be fully confirmed.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:25:38.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:04:02.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 1:42:59 through 1:44:16.
- Matt Mercer confirmed Yussa's transgender status in a tweet.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 1:36:51.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:14:58.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:04:07.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 50:28.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:00:37.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:21:05.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 2:15:46 through 2:17:54.
- See "Family Gathering" (2x71) from 1:22:01 through 1:33:26.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 0:35:51. Yussa casts Mage Hand.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:13:36. Yussa casts Identify.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 51:21. Yussa makes a spectral chest appear out of thin air, consistent with the spell Leomund's Secret Chest.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) from 48:58 through 49:27. Yussa casts a spell that is similar to Immolation to get rid of the body of Halas. This was later retconned not to have happened in "A Walk to Warmer Welcomes" (2x124) at 3:11:30.
- See "The Neverending Day" (2x125) at 1:15:50. Yussa draws a circle in order to teleport the Mighty Nein to the tower of Allura Vysoren
- See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 2:29:11. Since Yussa allowed Caleb to copy the spell from him, it must have been known by him.
- See "Cat and Mouse" (2x128) from 2:56:05 through 2:58:30. Yussa was described to be exploring the Astral Plane by Wensforth and appeared in a trance, consistent with the description of Astral Projection. However, as he isn't seen casting the spell, the effects could've been created by an item or other source.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 2:04:02 through 2:07:51.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 0:51:21.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:08:13.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:08:58.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:12:43.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:10:41.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:18:19.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:25:08.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 2:25:38.
- See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 1:25:54.
- See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 2:18:31 through 2:19:08. Jester leaves a figure of The Traveler and a pamphlet for Yussa
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 0:32:27. "There are means within the Hall to disable such glamours [. . .] best not to cause a stir."
- See "Cat and Mouse" (2x128) at 3:09:41.