Whitestone is a city-state in the Alabaster Sierras mountain range on the northeastern edge of Tal'Dorei's continent. It is ruled from Whitestone Castle, the home of the de Rolo family after it was reclaimed from the Briarwoods.
Whitestone now serves as the home and base of operations for several of the members of Vox Machina.
- 1 City Description
- 2 Map
- 3 Society
- 4 History
- 5 References
Whitestone is nestled in the valley of the Alabaster Sierras. The walls of Whitestone are closely surrounded by trees of the Parchwood Timberlands. Whitestone maintains a small amount of farmland connected by trails to the south and west of the city. On a hill to the north of the city sits Whitestone Castle. The city is roughly split into four districts.
Points of Interest
- Whitestone Castle: The seat of government in Whitestone and the home of the De Rolo family.
- The Zenith: A temple of Pelor, located within the Greyfield.
- The Lady's Chamber: A temple dedicated to Erathis, located across from the Sun Tree in Dawnfather Square.
- Illusory Barrier: Hastily constructed during the Chroma Crisis to hide the city from spies and roving wyverns of the Chroma Conclave, surrounding the city and Whitestone Castle are five obelisks carved from whitestone. When each obelisk is charged by a spellcaster, an illusion is cast over the city to make it appear as uninhabited Timberland, as well as mask any sounds created from within the city.
- Slayer's Cake: A bakery owned and partially operated by several members of Vox Machina.
- Lord Trinkets Public Park
- Galdric's Gate
- The Heart of Whitestone
The Square surrounds a small hill and was the central district of Whitestone in 812 PD.
- The Sun Tree: A tree sacred to Pelor It was created by Pelor at the intersection of powerful ley lines. Although it was almost killed by the unholy desecration of the Briarwoods, the Sun Tree was recovering by the time Vox Machina returned to Whitestone. After it recovered, the Sun Tree grew leaves and small white flowers at its crown.
- House of the Lawbearer:
- Estate of the Mistress of the Grey Hunt:
The Southern Ward was build between 812 and 835 PD
- Hearth of the Everlight
The Parchwood Timberlands
→ Main article: Parchwood Timberlands
The timberlands surrounds Whitestone. The forest is dense, thick and looming and completely encompassing the exterior of the city walls. To wards the south the forest is cleared for farmlands.
- The Greyfield: The city's graveyard, located to the east just outside of the city's walls.
- Altar of the Raven
- Temple of the Dawn
- Snowdrop Memorial Trail
- Eastern Ruins
Whitestone is a small city with about 4,230 inhabitants as of 812 PD. Most of the citizens are human (83%) with the rest of the population being made up of halflings (7%), dwarves (6%), and other races (4%).
Since not all surnames are known, the following table is sorted by first name.
|Cassandra de Rolo||NPC||Guardian of Woven Stone, head of the Chamber of Whitestone, sister of Percival de Rolo.|
|Jarett Howarth||NPC||An officer in (commander of?) The Pale Guard|
|JB Trickfoot||NPC||The cousin of Pike Trickfoot, currently assigned to the castle library.|
|Kynan Leore||NPC||Captain of the Whitestone Riflemen|
|Trisha||NPC||A member of the Whitestone city guard following the town's liberation.|
|Vouk Strono||NPC||Master Vouk: A collaborator of the Briarwoods who served Sir Kerrion Stonefell.|
|Yennen||NPC||Keeper Yennen: Head priest of Erathis and a leader of the Whitestone Rebellion. Later appointed as Keeper of Divine Virtue in the Chamber of Whitestone.|
Prior to the Briarwoods, Whitestone was ruled by the de Rolo family.
During the Briarwood years, Sylas Briarwood and Delilah Briarwood installed themselves as Lord and Lady. They granted land and titles to several of their subordinates, particularly Countess Jazna Graben, Sir Kerrion Stonefell, Duke Goran Vedmeyer, and Count Tylieri.
After the liberation of Whitestone, and on Percy's recommendation, the city adopted a council-based form of government rather than returning to de Rolo family rule. His initial thought was to compose the council from a notable member of each of the farming, economic, religious, trade, and citizen communities, as well as a noble from the de Rolo family. Together, the council would make decisions by vote, and any tied votes would be resolved by the noble. Cassandra de Rolo agreed to serve on the council, as did Keeper Yennen, if the the people of Whitestone consented to this new government. This ruling council is called the Chamber of Whitestone and currently includes seven members, among whom are Percival de Rolo and Vex'ahlia.
Acting on his own without consulting the council, Percy later granted Vex'ahlia a title: Lady Vex'ahlia, Baroness of the Third House of Whitestone and Grand Mistress of the Grey Hunt. Percy did not at that time mention the duties, privileges, and relationship to Whitestone's ruling council that this title might include, if any at all, nor whether the council must officially approve the granting of such titles; however, the title seems to have been supported.
Due to the fear of magical espionage, the council began meeting within the anti-magic field underneath Whitestone around the Ziggurat.
The Pale Guard
The Pale Guard is a combat unit in Whitestone, meant more for local law enforcement than as a standing army. Nevertheless, the Pale Guard remains important to the defense of Whitestone. With the fall of Emon to the Chroma Conclave and the withdrawal of Syngorn into the Feywild, Whitestone became one of the last military powers in Tal'Dorei capable of conventionally fighting the dragons. Jarett Howarth became an officer in this unit during the Chroma Crisis.
The Whitestone Riflemen
- → Main article: Whitestone Riflemen.
After the defeat of the Chroma Conclave, Lord Percival de Rolo decided to improve Whitestone's defenses by creating a special guard unit: the Whitestone Riflemen. Upon its founding in 811 PD, it was placed under the command of Kynan Leore who seems to have greatly appreciated the opportunity for redemption that being given such a responsible post implies.
The Grey Hunt
- → Main article: The Grey Hunt.
The Grey Hunt is a cadre of hunters led by the Grand Mistress. The Grand Mistress, along with rest of the hunt, is tasked with protecting Whitestone from threats emanating from the surrounding Parchwood. The unit had become disorganized during the years when there was no holder of the office, but Lady Vex'ahlia has had a couple of decades to rebuild it.
The city gets its name from the this rock quarried in the nearby Alabaster Sierras. The rock can be refined to a green, glass-like substance called residuum. Although not inherently magical, this substance is particularly receptive to arcane energies and therefore may be used to create objects that retain more powerful enchantments, perhaps for longer periods of time.
The Crest of Whitestone is divided into three parts: top, middle, and bottom.
The top part has the sun on a field of blue. This represents the daytime sky and Whitestone's patron god, Pelor, who watches the city from above. The middle part has a tree -- specifically, the Sun Tree -- on a field of white. This represents Whitestone itself: life amidst the cold snow of the Alabaster Sierras. The bottom part has five stars on a field of purple, representing each Champion of Pelor that has served Whitestone.
|"De Rolo family
Crest" (Taliesin's sketch)
|"Chamber of Whitestone"
Symbol (as pictured in the CG)
(with 6th Star)
After Delilah Briarwood had created an anti-magic field below Whitestone Castle, Percy began to worry about what a magical blackout could do to the city. As a precaution, he began modernizing Whitestone with non-magical technology. His first major project was a subterranean network of steam pipes underneath all of Whitestone's roads. The result would be heated roads that never needed to be cleared of snow or ice.
It is Percy's dream that Whitestone become "a shining beacon on the hill of what mankind's future could be."
Prior to the Briarwoods, the people of Whitestone celebrated Winter's Crest with an annual festival, like other cities in Tal'Dorei. When Vox Machina liberated the city, the heroes joined the citizens in celebrating Whitestone's first Winter's Crest Festival in years.
Beneath Whitestone lies an ancient underground ziggurat, a temple to the goddess Ioun. During the Calamity, Ioun baited the rampaging Tharizdun to her central temple there, but Tharizdun badly wounded her and nearly consumed her, causing her temple to sink underground in her sorrow. Pelor then defeated Tharizdun in a climactic battle that transformed the nearby region in its violence, and after chasing and banishing Tharizdun elsewhere, Pelor returned to the site of Ioun's wounding and blessed the land with his own Sun Tree directly over the site of her sunken temple. The land has been under his protection ever since.
The city of Whitestone was founded around the year 612 PD, when a shipwrecked expedition from Port Damali, led by the de Rolo family, stumbled across Pelor's divine tree and decided to build their home around it. Though the city was geographically isolated from most of Tal'Dorei, it managed to flourish on exports of whitestone ore.
Invasion of Whitestone
- → Main article: Invasion of Whitestone.
Whitestone was overtaken by the evil Lord and Lady Briarwood. The members of its ruling family, the de Rolos, were expelled, killed, or enthralled.
Occupation of Whitestone
- → Main article: Occupation of Whitestone.
Due to the city's remoteness and isolation, the citizens of Whitestone suffered without external aid for six years under the oppression and necromantic horrors of the Briarwoods.
- → Main article: Whitestone Rebellion.
After Vox Machina encountered the Briarwoods in Emon, Percival de Rolo spearheaded a return to his home city. On their arrival in the city, Vox Machina instigated a rebellion and fatally deposed the Briarwoods, beginning a slow return to prosperity for the city.
- → Main article: Chroma Crisis.
Shortly after the rebellion's conclusion, the Chroma Conclave attacked and devastated many cities around the Republic of Tal'Dorei. Whitestone was spared and became a haven for refugees fleeing the ruins of Emon and other ruined cities. The refugees—ranging from peasants and farmers to merchants and nobles—bolstered the city's population and workforce, both of which had been decimated throughout the Briarwoods' reign. Whitestone became the base of resistance against the Conclave, as Vox Machina gathered allies and brought them to the city.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 48.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 33.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 51.
- See "The Sun Tree" (1x28) from 2:06:20 through 2:06:46.
- See "Winter's Crest in Whitestone" (1x36) from 2:22:00 through 2:27:00.
- See "Heredity and Hats" (1x60) at 0:54:40.
- See "Heredity and Hats" (1x60) at 1:01:10.
- See "The Frigid Doom" (1x64) from 1:23:11 through 1:23:53.
- See "One Year Later..." (1x95) at 48:52.
- See "Gunpowder Plot" (1x31), part 2, from 0:07:06 through 0:07:55.
- See "Elysium" (1x104) at 2:50:00.
- See "One Year Later..." (1x95) at 49:31.
- See "Winter's Crest in Whitestone" (1x36) at 57:25.
- See "Elysium" (1x104) at 2:52:05.
- See "Elysium" (1x104) at 2:24:40.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 49.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 32.
- See "Dangerous Dealings" (1x42) from 0:43:42 through 0:56:04.
- See "The Sun Tree" (1x28) at 2:34:09.
- Fan art of Whitestone (cropped from a larger image), by Kent Davis (source). Used with permission.
- Map of Whitestone in 835 PD, by Andy Law. (source).
- Map of Whitestone in 812 PD, by Andy Law. (source).
- Fan art of Jarett Howarth in uniform, by Joma Cueto (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of a Whitestone Rifleman, by Joma Cueto (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of a Member of the Grey Hunt, by Joma Cueto (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of the Whitestone crest, by Joma Cueto (source). Based on descriptions by Matthew Mercer and Taliesin Jaffe. Used with permission.