Vox Machina was a legendary band of adventurers based in Tal'Dorei, primarily active between 809 and 812 PD, and the protagonists of the First Campaign of Critical Role. They are world renowned heroes, most notable for rescuing the Tal'Dorei Royal Family from demonic possession, overthrowing the Briarwoods' rule of Whitestone, slaying the dragons of the Chroma Conclave, and banishing the newly deified Vecna beyond the Divine Gate.
- 1 Founding
- 2 Adventures
- 3 Name
- 4 Members
- 5 Allies and Friends
- 6 Enemies
- 7 Official Art
- 8 References
Grog Strongjaw, Keyleth, Scanlan Shorthalt, Tiberius Stormwind, Vax'ildan, and Vex'ahlia met when they helped out an individual within Stilben. Afterwards, when the members each individually or in their respective groups looked at a bulletin post for jobs and saw one, they decided to form a group out of necessity and band together. Their first mission involved a conspiracy within the town.
|This article or section may require cleanup. The spelling, grammar, or formatting may need attention. The content may be out of place, overwritten, and/or contradictory. You can help the Critical Role wiki by reviewing this article and cleaning it up.
Needs rewrite of pre-stream events and summary for each chapter.
One of the first major encounters the party had with a creature was a lich that had just reanimated and was in a weakened state.
Vox Machina's first major assignment was investigating the disappearance of children. After gathering information, they learned that, a week before the kids vanished, they were seen playing with a child with long black hair and golden eyes. After saving the city of Emon from a demon insurrection for the throne, they noticed the described child talking to the son of Sovereign Uriel Tal'Dorei III, and pursued the child. They ended up in the dimension of the Dread Emperor, where they discovered that he was responsible for the abduction of the children. They ultimately defeated him, but not without casualties.
Greyskull Keep was built in their honor for saving Emon. However, they were unable to savor this testament to their valor, as they were quickly sent on a quest to rescue someone called Lady Kima of Vord by Lady Allura Vysoren.
The original name of the group was the Super High-Intensity Team, but the players decided to abandon the name once they began to gain renown because of the acronym that it spelled out, although they still occasionally refer to themselves as "the S.H.I.T.s". The group debated calling themselves the Order of the Brotherhood of the Sisterhood, but chose the name Vox Machina. Vox Machina is latin for "voice machine", a nod to the cast of voice actors.
At the beginning of Campaign One, Vox Machina was a group of eight adventurers plus Vex'ahlia's companion, Trinket. Tiberius parted from the group amicably in "A Musician's Nostalgia" (1x37). Scanlan left the group after a very emotional confrontation in "A Bard's Lament" (1x85), but returned in "Masquerade" (1x99). Taryon joined Vox Machina in Scanlan's absence. After defeating Vecna, the party retired from adventuring.
|Grog Strongjaw||Barbarian / Fighter||Alive||Living with Pike and Scanlan in Westruun|
|Keyleth||Druid||Alive||Headmaster of the Air Ashari in Zephrah|
|Percival de Rolo||Fighter||Alive||Sovereign of Whitestone|
|Pike Trickfoot||Cleric||Alive||Living with Grog and Scanlan in Westruun|
|Scanlan Shorthalt||Bard||Alive||Living with Pike and Grog in Westruun|
|Taryon Darrington||Artificer||Alive||Grand Commander of the Darrington Brigade in Deastok|
|Tiberius Stormwind||Sorcerer||Deceased||Fell while defending Draconia from Vorugal|
|Vax'ildan||Rogue / Paladin / Druid||Deceased||Abandonned his mortal form to become Champion of the Raven Queen after defeating Vecna|
|Vex'ahlia||Ranger / Rogue||Alive||Baroness of the First House of Whitestone|
|Doty||Construct||Alive||Assistant to Taryon in Deastok|
|Lockheed||Pseudodragon||Unknown||Released in the wild around Whitestone|
|Trinket||Bear||Alive||Living with Vex'ahlia in Whitestone|
Originally, the alignments of Vox Machina were as follows: Keyleth, Percy, and Vex were neutral good, Pike, Scanlan, Tiberius, and Vax were chaotic good, and Grog was chaotic neutral. After "Crimson Diplomacy" (1x25), there was an unspecified alignment change to a character, which was likely either Percy or Tiberius due to their actions during said episode. It was confirmed at Wizard World that Tiberius's alignment had changed. After "Cindergrove Revisited" (1x46), Vex's alignment changed to chaotic neutral due to many behaviors and actions culminating in the theft of Gern Blanston's flying broom and then lying about it. During "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75), Vex's alignment changed to chaotic good due to a series of decisions, including her outspoken concern for two young enslaved aasimar.
Vax is one of the main damage dealers in the group, partly because he tends to be the one scouting ahead, though he is sometimes accompanied by his sister Vex'ahlia. Grog carries the group's Bag of Holding and is another of the main damage dealers, serving as a tank and protecting the less armored party members. Scanlan is occasionally used for infiltration and subterfuge, and Keyleth has been known to do aerial reconnaissance and transportation. Pike is the group's main healer, though Keyleth, Vex, and Scanlan also have healing abilities, albeit to a more limited extent.
Keyleth often tries to act as the conscience of the group. Though others may agree with her, she is often the most vocal about advocating for doing the right thing or worrying about a person's well-being, against more eloquent members who don't share her concerns.
Vex'ahlia is the group's treasurer. She keeps track of the party's funds and distributes any earnings among them. She is also a skilled haggler and tends to handle most of Vox Machina's business transactions.
Relationships Within the Group
Allies and Friends
See also: Category:Allies
Guest Player Characters
- Bertrand Bell
- Gern Blanston
- Kashaw Vesh
- Lieve'tel Toluse
- Lillith Daturai
- Thorbir Falbek
- Zahra Hydris
- Council of Tal'Dorei
- Lady Allura Vysoren
- Cassandra de Rolo
- Shaun Gilmore
- Jarett Howarth
- Lady Kima of Vord
- Osysa, Kamaljiori, and the Slayer's Take
- Earthbreaker Groon
- The Ashari
- J'mon Sa Ord
- Tooma and the Ravenites
- Captain Damon and the crew of The Deera
- Drake Thunderbrand
- Mikael Daxio
Vox Machina has defeated many foes over the years. There are also a few groups of people/adversaries that would probably oppose them when the time comes.
- The Clasp: Vox Machina made enemies of them when not agreeing to their terms when seeking their assistance during the Chroma Conclave attack on Emon. The Clasp named them their enemies and would later be paid by Hotis to send assassins after them.
- Master Vouk: A collaborator with the Briarwoods in Whitestone, Vouk's forehead was branded and had his tongue ripped out by Vox Machina before fleeing, his status following this is unknown.
- Goran Vedmeyer: After serving as a duke under the Briarwoods, he was allowed to live in Whitestone to serve the community as penance for his crimes against the people.
- Orthax: A shadow demon who has made vengeance pacts with both Percival de Rolo and Anna Ripley.
- Craven Edge: Grog's sentient sword that upon being satisfied by feeding upon Grog's kills sucked out Grog's soul. The damage was undone by Pike and Craven Edge was banished by Keyleth via Plane Shift far from the material plane where it can do harm.
- Ghurrix: Ghurrix was slain by Vox Machina; his essence is reforming in the Nine Hells, but he has been demoted and tortured for his supposed assassination attempt, a lie put about by Scanlan.
- Kraken: An intelligent creature that Keyleth's mother failed to avoid in her final Aramente trial. It toyed with Vox Machina until enough damage was done that it began to fight them seriously, killing Vax. It is trapped in the Elemental Plane of Water and is aggressively territorial.
- Arkhan: Stole the Hand of Vecna and attached it to himself, claiming just before he Teleported away: "I'm sorry, it was just business. Until we meet again."
- Vecna: Not actually dead, but banished and sealed away nonetheless.
- Fendril Vas
- Stonejaw Strongjaw
- Drath Mephruhn
- Dread Emperor
- King Murghol and Queen Ulara
- Clarota: Initially an ally, Clarota was killed after he was reconnected to the hive mind of the elder brain and turned on Vox Machina.
- The Broker
- Associates of the Briarwoods:
- Kevdak: Grog's uncle.
- Mystic Iotha
- Anna Ripley
- Gatekeeper Xanthus
- The Chroma Conclave
- Thordak: Ancient red dragon, leader of the Chroma Conclave.
- Brimscythe: Adult blue dragon; had disguised himself as General Krieg and infiltrated the Tal'Dorei Council.
- Raishan: Ancient green dragon; temporarily allied with Vox Machina against Thordak and Vorugal.
- Umbrasyl: Ancient black dragon.
- Vorugal: Ancient white dragon.
- Hotis: Slain on two separate occasions by Vax'ildan and Pike Trickfoot, finally killed permanently in the Nine Hells by Grog.
- Delilah Briarwood: Initially executed at Whitestone by Cassandra, resurrected by Vecna prior to "Unfinished Business" (1x100), killed again in "Race to the Tower" (1x102) by Percy, quickly resurrected by Vecna again, and slain one last time by Vex in "The Final Ascent" (1x113).
- Sylas Briarwood: Initially killed by Keyleth and Pike in "Race to the Ziggurat" (1x34), resurrected by Vecna the Ascended prior to "The Final Ascent" (1x113). Finally vanquished for good in "Dalen's Closet" (Sx47) by Vex'ahlia.
- Matt estimates off the top of his head that, as of "Clash at Daxio" (1x77) in 811 PD, Vax and Keyleth have been traveling together for a little over two years, maybe pushing two-and-a-half. If it's closer to two-and-a-half, they met toward the end of 808 PD. See "Talks Machina #4: 'Clash at Daxio'" (TMx04) at 1:04:58.
- See "The Story of Vox Machina" (Sx06) at 6:12.
- The history of the party name was discussed in a Q&A. See "Attack on the Duergar Warcamp" (1x04) at 4:04:31.
- On 2015 October 28th, at 6:40pm PST, it was announced live on the Geek and Sundry Twitch channel that due to a mutual parting of ways, Orion Acaba would no longer appear on Critical Role. Matthew Mercer repeated the announcement at the beginning of "Stoke the Flames" (1x30).
- Q&A at the end of K'Varn Revealed. See "K'Varn Revealed" (1x10) at 3:29:09. Sam wasn't sure what Scanlan's alignment was.
- Matthew Mercer confirmed on Twitter that a character's alignment had shifted.
- See "Wizard World Gaming Portland Panel" (Sx07).
- Matthew Mercer confirmed on Reddit that Vex'ahlia had officially shifted alignment to chaotic neutral.
- See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) from 3:13:21 through 3:14:29.
- See "Denouement" (1x35), part 2, from 39:15 through 44:35.
- See "Vecna, the Ascended" (1x114) at 5:27:30.
- Clarota was reconnected to the hive mind of the elder brain and turned against Vox Machina. See "Escape from the Underdark" (1x13) at 0:31:34.
- See "Gunpowder Plot" (1x31), part 1, at 1:32:10.
- See "Denouement" (1x35), part 2, from 39:15 through 44:35.
- Vox Machina raises hands to ally themselves with Raishan. See "Trust" (1x70) at 58:11.
- See "Trial of the Take: Part 4" (1x21) from 3:46:05 through 3:47:45.
- See "A Cycle of Vengeance" (1x58) from 1:34:22 through 1:36:18.
- See "Bats Out of Hell" (1x93) from 4:07:04 through 4:08:33.
- See "Dalen's Closet" (Sx47) at 3:39:15.
- Fan made timeline of the adventures of Vox Machina, by Lalou (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of the Vox Machina Crest, by BlackSalander (source). Used with permission.
- Official campaign art of Vox Machina, by Kit Buss (source). This file is a copyrighted work. Its use in this article is asserted to qualify as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.
- Official comic book art of Vox Machina, by Olivia Samson from Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins. Used with permission.
- Official character designs for The Legend of Vox Machina, by Phil Bourassa (source). This file is a copyrighted work. Its use in this article is asserted to qualify as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.