- 1 Description
- 2 Biography
- 2.1 Background
- 2.2 "Whispers of War" (2x18)
- 2.3 "Homeward Bound" (2x48)
- 2.4 "In Love and War" (2x57)
- 2.5 "A Tangled Web" (2x77)
- 2.6 "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97)
- 2.7 "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99)
- 2.8 "Traveler Con" (2x108)
- 2.9 "Frigid Propositions" (2x109)
- 2.10 "The Chase Begins" (2x112)
- 2.11 "A Heart Grown Cold" (2x113)
- 2.12 "An Open Window" (2x114)
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Character Information
- 5 Quotations
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Lady Vess DeRogna is an half-elven woman with short, medium-brown hair. She is not young for an elf, but not as old as Ludinus Da'leth. She wears clothes of green and black, deep green with black designs across and around the edges of the billowing sleeves, and a number of rings and necklaces, each containing some sort of circular gem that dangles from them like a little collection of colors.
Yeza Brenatto described her as forceful, persuasive, and a terrible boss, often putting serious pressure on him to finish his project to extract the essence of dunamancy from the dodecahedron, in response to Ludinus Da'leth pressuing her.
A public recluse for most of her life, Vess was always a brilliant mage and dedicated historian. She was an instructor at the Soltryce Academy for over two decades where she unraveled a number of historical mysteries and pre-Calamity riddles - and hoarded some of the spoils for herself. She eventually assumed the position of Archmage of Antiquity after replacing her criminal predecessor, Lady Delilah Briarwood.
"Whispers of War" (2x18)
Lady Vess DeRogna was mentioned to be the Archmage of Antiquity.
"Homeward Bound" (2x48)
Vess DeRogna was present in Felderwin when the Mighty Nein arrived, and was seen meeting Ludinus Da'leth when he Teleported in. They were talking together as they walked towards the ruins of the Brenatto Apothecary.
"In Love and War" (2x57)
While in his cell, Yeza Brenatto described how "Lady DeRogna" would bring the Beacon from a secured place to his basement for experiments. She also threatened Luc's safety if Yeza ever shared his knowledge of their experiments with anyone.
"A Tangled Web" (2x77)
DeRogna was one of the many options that the Mighty Nein considered Scrying upon. Caleb cast Seeming on the party, making them look like various members of the Cerberus Assembly with Nott looking like DeRogna, in order for Jester to potentially be able to scry upon one of them. DeRogna was the eventually chosen target but she succeeded on the saving throw; thus, Jester's Scry failed.
"The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97)
Essek Thelyss confessed to having conspired with Ludinus and Trent Ikithon in the theft of the Beacons that sparked the war, and noted that while he never met DeRogna, he knew she helmed a period of experimentation with the Luxon Beacon. These were the only people he believed to have knowledge of the arrangement.
"High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99)
While the armada was sailing to the peace talks, the Ball-Eater was attacked by forces of Uk'otoa. In the immediate aftermath, Lady DeRogna used Dimension Door to reach the ship to intervene. The party lied and said it seemed like a random attack. Lady DeRogna accepted this, and invited the party to talk to her about work possibilities in the north once all of this was over. A few days later, Caleb and Beau flew to the Cerberus Assembly ship, the Wind of Aeons, to inspect the Luxon Beacon being carried to the parley. Ludinus Da'leth seemed genuinely surprised to learn the party had met Lady DeRogna, and that she had offered them work. Her purpose for being at the talks was to keep an eye on the perimeter and to hopefully discuss arcane projects between the Empire and the Dynasty if the peace talks were to go well.
"Traveler Con" (2x108)
"Frigid Propositions" (2x109)
The Mighty Nein met with Vess DeRogna in her tower to discuss their mission in Eiselcross.
"The Chase Begins" (2x112)
The Mighty Nein met with Vess at her tower following the discovery that Mollymauk Tealeaf's body had been resurrected, and asked questions about the Tombtakers, whom she had previously employed. When the Nein told her the mission had become more urgent, Vess ran Pumat Sol ragged to complete an enchantment for Caduceus Clay so that they could get the mission started sooner. Vess and the Nein teleported to Palebank Village and started sailing to Balenpost.
"A Heart Grown Cold" (2x113)
After defeating Avantika, Caduceus went below decks and briefly talked with Vess DeRogna about the attack on the ship. She seemed thoroughly impressed by their skills to handle the situation without her help, saying it's why she hired them to help her in the first place.
"An Open Window" (2x114)
After eating dinner in the fort inside of Balenpost, Jester scryed on Lucien and saw that he had gained access to DeRogna's book. The next morning, the Mighty Nein found her bloodied corpse lying on her bed. Using Speak with Dead allowed the group to learn more about the ritual done on Lucien two years ago, and her underlying connections to the Tombtakers.
Vess DeRogna recommended to the Mighty Nein that they should not trust the Martinet's intentions, for he will do anything to keep himself in a position of power in the Dwendalian Empire.
While Vess DeRogna did not say how she felt about Ikithon, most of the members of the Assembly agree that he is somewhat creepy, but has a purpose for being in their ranks.
Vess DeRogna employed the Tombtakers in the past as part of her excavation operation in Eiselcross. She confirmed that Lucien (Mollymauk) was part of the group at that time. She mentioned that their collaboration ended as she didn't appreciate their attitude, as they would ask for more payment mid-contract.
Vess DeRogna employed Yeza to conduct alchemical research and development to extract some form of liquid essence out of one of the Luxons.
Based on Lady DeRogna casting Teleport twice in one day, she has at least one 7th and one 8th level spell slot, so she is at least a 15th-level spellcaster.
- Unseen Servant
- Hold Person
- Dimension Door
- Caduceus Clay: "What is it to be a Nonagon?"
Vess DeRogna: "The Nonagon is a vessel. It is the key to Cognouza. It is the one to free the Somnovem."
- Although the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount spells it "de Rogna" (p. 43), the previously confirmed spelling and the one used by CRTranscripts is "deRogna".
- See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) at 0:21:46.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 43.
- See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) at 0:27:21.
- See "The Chase Begins" (2x112) from 2:05:16 through 2:12:10. Vess apparently casts Teleport twice in one day, which indicates she has at least one 7th- and one 8th-level spell slot, making her at least a 15th level wizard.
- See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) at 0:21:46. Although Matt referred to her as "elven" in "A Game of Names" (2x49), here he states she is half-elven.
- See "A Game of Names" (2x49) from 12:19 through 13:00.
- See "An Open Window" (2x114) from 2:28:28 through 2:29:47.
- See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 1:07:57.
- See "The Chase Begins" (2x112) from 1:45:29 through 1:48:18.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 43.
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 03:41:17.
- See "In Love and War" (2x57) at 1:43:23.
- See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 4:06:57.
- See "The Chase Begins" (2x112) from 2:05:16 through 2:12:10.
- See "Frigid Propositions" (2x109) from 3:16:06 through 3:16:23. Fjord notices DeRogna's Unseen Servants.
- See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) at 0:20:32. Lady DeRogna casts a spell consistent with Hold Person.
- See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) at 0:20:23. Lady DeRogna arrives on the Ball-Eater via Dimension Door.
- See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) at 1:57:27. Lady DeRogna casts a spell on the tea set consistent with Telekinesis.
- See "The Chase Begins" (2x112) at 2:05:16. DeRogna Teleports back to Rexxentrum, then at 2:12:10 to Palebank Village.
- Caduceus cast Speak with Dead and asked Vess about the Nonagon. See "An Open Window" (2x114) at 3:07:40.