|This article is a stub. Please help the Critical Role wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, or improving existing text.
Vandren recruited Avantika as an ally to help him release Uk'otoa. He showed her a ritual after which Uk'otoa began to communicate with her through dreams. Avantika's journal describes them traveling together for a few years with Vandren guiding her to signs from Uk'otoa. When Vandren was the only one to have a Cloven Crystal, he and Avantika planned to go to Urukaxl, but they never made it. They discovered another Cloven Crystal was being auctioned off in Port Damali. Avantika and Vandren stalked the collector who bought it to an unknown island, killed him, and took the crystal.
At some point during their travels, Vandren decided to abandon the quest. Avantika wrote of him getting cold feet and beginning to mistrust the dreams. She attempted to gift Vandren as a sacrifice to Uk'otoa. He got away, taking a Cloven Crystal with him. Vandren successfully hid from her for a number of months before she gave up the search.
Vandren captained a merchant ship called the Tide's Breath for a number of years, during which time he grew close to Fjord. If Fjord's vision of Vandren absorbing a Cloven Crystal was accurate, it means Vandren found a way to get the Cloven Crystal out of his body.
Vandren was presumed dead after Sabian sabotaged the Tide's Breath and it exploded.
"Lost Treasures" (2x22) Edit
When Fjord pushed the yellow eyelike orb into his chest, he was transported into a vision where he was Vandren. In the vision, Vandren pushed the same orb into his chest while standing over the body of its previous owner. He summoned the same falchion Fjord wields.
When questioned afterwards, Fjord described the vision and mentioned Vandren as his mentor who he had not seen since sabotage sank the ship they were on. Fjord had never seen Vandren with an orb like this or his falchion, yet Vandren had both in the vision. Fjord realized Vandren in the vision looked younger than Fjord remembers him, implying his vision may have been of the past.
"Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) Edit
Captain Avantika told Fjord that the one who introduced her to Uk'otoa was Vandren, and that he had wielded a sword that was just like Fjord's. She also said Vandren had an amber stone just like the one she and Fjord carried within them. Vandren referred to his falchion as the "Sword of Fathoms".
Fjord attempted to lie to Avantika, claiming he did not have a connection to Vandren. She was able to see right through his deception, leading Fjord to point her to the location where Vandren's ship sank.
"A Hole In the Plan" (2x42)Edit
"In Hot Water" (2x43) Edit
During the trial held by the Plank King, Avantika invoked Vandren's name, which many of the surrounding pirates recognized. She attempted to claim that Fjord had blown up the Tide's Breath to murder Vandren, though Fjord had not told her of the explosion on the ship.
"The Second Seal" (2x47) Edit
Avantika wrote in her journal of Vandren guiding her towards being closer to Uk'otoa, giving her the ritual that started her dreams of a great eye. It is unclear if their relationship was romantic or platonic. Avantika considered him leaving the quest cowardly and a betrayal.
Fjord has described Vandren at various times as a "mentor" and "father figure". Fjord thought he had known Vandren very well during the years working for him. The revelations that Avantika and other pirates on Darktow Isle knew Vandren seemed to take him by surprise. Seeing that someone looted Vandren's quarters after the Tide's Breath wrecked seemed to make Fjord angry. It is unclear how Fjord feels about Vandren now.
Vandren hired Sabian along with Fjord as crew of the Tide's Breath. It is unknown if Sabian intended to hurt or kill Vandren specifically by sabotaging the ship or if he had other reasons.
It is unknown how Vandren first came into contact with Uk'otoa. At one point, he was very committed to releasing it. He changed his mind for unknown reasons, but still kept a Cloven Crystal and the Sword of Fathoms.
Avantika accused Fjord of using the memory of Vandren against her during her trial, implying Wyatt should recognize his name. Several of the crowd watching the trial recognized Vandren's name as well, implying he is a former member of The Revelry.
Character Information Edit
- Pact Boon (Pact of the Blade)
Notable Items Edit
Cloven Crystal(acquired from the body of an unknown man, kept in captain's quarters of the Tide's Breath, taken by Dashilla from the Tide's Breath wreck)
Sword of Fathoms(lost when the Tide's Breath sank, recovered by Fjord)
- If Fjord's vision in "Lost Treasures" (2x22) is accurate, Vandren had at least three warlock levels at the time he absorbed a Cloven Crystal.
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22).
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) at 3:12:20. Fjord has a vision of Vandren summoning a pact weapon, confirming he is a warlock
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) at 2:59:26. Avantika names Vandren as a Chosen of Uk'otoa
- ↑ See "In Hot Water" (2x43) at 2:59:19. Jester knows Fjord has been copying Vandren's accent.
- ↑ See "A Hole In the Plan" (2x42) at 3:25:19. Avantika's journal
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) from 3:01:29 through 3:02:44.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 37:01. Jester finds a box that used to hold a Cloven Crystal
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) from 3:10:52 through 3:14:06.
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) from 3:15:25 through 3:20:23.
- ↑ See "In Hot Water" (2x43) from 2:24:16 through 2:25:11. Avantika's statement contradicting the Mighty Nein's charges against her
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40).
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) at 3:15:37.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 35:55.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 36:54. Jester finds a empty box that seemed to have held a Cloven Crystal in Vandren's former quarters
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) at 3:12:20. Fjord has a vision of Vandren summoning the same falchion he now wields
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) from 3:11:05 through 3:14:15. Fjord has a vision of Vandren absorbing a Cloven Crystal after killing its previous owner
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 3:53:48. Fjord finds the Cloven Crystal in Dashilla's lair
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05).
- ↑ See D&D: Player's Handbook, 5th ed., p. 107, available online at D&D Beyond.