Legend says that Uk'otoa is a large serpent-like creature with three eyes in its head and many eyes along its body. On the altar above Captain Avantika's door aboard the Squall-Eater, it's represented by an ouroboros with nine eyes.
Uk'otoa is an emotionally manipulative deity with the driving goal of having the three seals holding him captive unlocked. He has succeeded in having Avantika and Fjord each break one seal by giving them magical powers and promising more.
The Ki'Nau of the Swavain Islands were granted the blessings of Uk'otoa. Captain Avantika expressed that, with this blessing, "nothing and no one could stand before them." However, the surviving worshipers of the Cloaked Serpent grew jealous, sealing Uk'otoa beneath the depths of the Lucidian Ocean and defacing the temples built in his name.
"The Open Road" (2x05)Edit
Fjord's patron contacted him for the first time through a dream. He found himself underwater, facing an enormous yellow eye. He tried to speak to it, but it responded only in single words: "Watching. Potential. Learn. Grow. Provoke. Consume. Reward. Patience." He woke with a start, coughing up seawater, and found that his falchion was missing from its sheath, but could now be summoned by him. Fjord discovered he had bonded with the sword as his warlock pact weapon.
"A Favor in Kind" (2x16)Edit
As Fjord fell asleep, he faded into a dream of himself standing in total darkness; in his hand was the Waste Hunter Blade. A large yellow eye appeared in front of him. A voice said "Consume". Fjord opened his mouth and pushed the sword into it. He felt pain but also a strong hunger and continued to push the sword further. After he had swallowed the sword, the voice said "Good". The eye closed. Fjord realized he was underwater and started trying to swim against the current. After a few seconds of struggling, he woke up suddenly. The Waste Hunter Blade was gone. Fjord wiped his mouth and found a little bit of blood. He summoned his pact weapon. Instead of the Waste Hunter Blade, his weapon took the form of his falchion again, but it had a more curved appearance similar to the Waste Hunter Blade.
"Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21)Edit
"Lost Treasures" (2x22)Edit
After the Mighty Nein defeated the merrow in the merrow lair, Fjord touched a yellow orb found in the chamber. He immdiately had a vision of himself in a different place wearing different clothes in a human body holding the orb in his hand and standing over the body of its previous owner. His right hand in the vision summoned the same falchion Fjord now has. He heard a voice in his head say "Potential". He felt uncontrollably hungry, then pushed the orb into his stomach. It went into him painlessly as a voice said "Consume". The hunger went away. Suddenly feeling exhausted, he fell to his knees. Fjord looked into a nearby pool, and saw Vandran's reflection instead of his own. The voice said "Reward". Fjord came back to his own body looking into the pool where the orb was found, but it was gone. The next time Fjord summoned the falchion it had a yellow eye in the center of the hilt.
"Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37)Edit
The Mighty Nein met Avantika and discovered she was also a follower of Fjord's patron. She told them its identity: Uk'otoa, the Great Leviathan. That night, Fjord had a dream of being under the ocean.
"A Pirate's Life for Me" (2x41)Edit
Fjord received another dream from Uk'otoa, in which he saw three glowing lights going towards a tilted tower underneath an archipelago of three islands.
"The Diver's Grave" (2x44)Edit
In the lair of Dashilla, the party found the third Cloven Crystal. As Fjord touched it to his chest, his vision went black. He saw the same dark ocean and three yellow eyes he had seen in dreams before. An endless row of teeth smiling at him appeared and the vision was gone.
"The Second Seal" (2x47)Edit
Uk'otoa appeared yet again to Fjord in a dream, this time angrily repeating the word Punish and causing the Half-Orc Warlock to feel the sensation of drowning. When Fjord awoke, he found that Uk'otoa had temporarily taken away his powers. His magic returned later during the day.
"Chases and Trees" (2x65)Edit
Fjord had a dream in which he was surrounded by dark and cold waters and Uk'otoa once again appeared, saying loudly, "Return" and "Release". The yellow eye of Uk'otoa began to tear open as snaking vines pushed out of the center, but The Wildmother called out to him to come to her temporarily-offered sanctuary at the Arbor Exemplar.
"Family Gathering" (2x71)Edit
The Mighty Nein teleported to Nicodranas from Rosohna and spent one day there. As Fjord stepped into the Teleportation Circle to return to Rosohna, he felt a cold sensation shoot through his head and heard Uk'otoa's voice say "Return".
"Clay and Dust" (2x72)Edit
Fjord dreamed of waking on a beach, and saw above him the moon turn into the eye of Uk'otoa. Tendrils reached out and restrained him, and the familiar voice said, "Don’t. Run. Find. Take. Consume." As the tendrils drew him through a huge mouth, the voice said, "Return. Or consume", and he was crushed within the mouth. He woke up suddenly, and his powers were again gone. He found the falchion and went stealthily to the lava pool, where he held the falchion against his chest, saying, "You need me more than I need you. Give it back." Nothing happened, and he gradually pushed the sword into his chest until he was suffering serious damage. With no response, he pulled the sword out and threw it into the pool, where it sank into the molten rock.
"Dark Waters" (2x98)Edit
Fjord had a dream of being in a forest. As he was walking around, the forest seemed to expand on endlessly. He decided to summon his sword and try to listen for the Wildmother. Instead of summoning the Star Razor, the Sword of Fathoms appeared in his hand. The dream ended when an assassin stabbed him in the chest, trying to retrieve the Cloven Crystal.
Uk'otoa communicated with Avantika through dreams as well. It is implied she had less contact with Uk'otoa than Fjord, saying in "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) that it had been a few years since her last dream. Avantika had a yellow eye similar to the eye on Fjord's falchion in the palm of her right hand. She claimed the eye appeared after she killed the previous owner of the Cloven Crystal.
Uk'otoa communicated with Fjord mostly through dreams. Fjord never had had these dreams or the ability to use magic before finding his falchion.. In his dreams, Fjord was often underwater and would see a giant yellow eye. Fjord's attempts to speak to the entity resulted in single word responses or no response at all, hearing the words: "Watching, Potential, Learn, Grow, Provoke, Consume, Reward, Patience, Good, Release, Wander, Punish", and "Return" in various dreams. Some of these dreams had physical side effects when Fjord woke up. Avantika, Sabian, and Vandran have appeared in Fjord's dreams.
Fjord has felt Uk'otoa's presence outside of dreams when a Cloven Crystal was nearby, when he placed a Cloven Crystal in the sunken temple to unlock Uk'otoa, and when teleporting away from Nicodranas after being near the sea for the first time in over a month.
Vandran was described by Avantika as being another of the "Chosen" of Uk'otoa. She told Fjord Vandran had a sword similar to Fjord's Sword of Fathoms before the shipwreck caused by Sabian. She also claimed Vandran showed her a ritual to get in contact with Uk'otoa. This implies Vandran had contact with Uk'otoa through dreams as well.
According to one of Fjord's dreams, Vandran absorbed a Cloven Crystal in the same way Fjord did. This implies Vandran was, and possibly still is, a warlock of Uk'otoa. At some point in the past, Vandran was working with Avantika to release Uk'otoa. He changed his mind for unknown reasons, and took his Cloven Crystal with him when he left her. The Mighty Nein discovered Vandran had a Cloven Crystal hidden in his quarters on the Tide's Breath at the time it sank.
In the Yuan-Ti temple on Urukayxl, the Mighty Nein saw three murals - depicting a giant purple bird with fire-like wings and three eyes of onyx, a gigantic sea serpent emerging from the water, with many small eyes of amber and three large eyes, and a worm-like creature with three eyes of ivory inside its mouth, plowing through the earth.
Character Information Edit
- Uk'otoa is able to communicate with his followers by gifting them dreams and visions.
- As a entity of notable power Uk'otoa is able to gift his followers with the ability to Control Water. He is said to have done this in the past with the Ki'Nau, and more recently has done so to Avantika and Fjord as a reward for using their Cloven Crystals to unlock two of the binds holding him captive. 
Notable Items Edit
- Cloven Crystals - Three orbs that are used as keys to release Uk'otoa. They are to be used in three temples scattered about. Two have currently been deposited in their respective temples located at Urukayxl and the Gravid Archipelago; the third and final one remained in Fjord's possession. After the attack on the Ball-Eater while sailing near Urukayxl on the way to the peace talks, a Greater Restoration spell allowed Fjord to vomit out the remaining crystal, and it was placed in Caleb's Vault of Amber for safekeeping.
- "Watching. Potential. Learn. Grow. Provoke. Consume. Reward. Patience." - Fjord hears the voice of Uk'otoa in his head during a dream.
- "Watching. Adapt. Reward. Release." Said to Fjord within a vision after he inserts the key into the second temple.
- "Watching. Return. Reward. Wander. Punish." Said to Fjord in a dream after Fjord ignored Uk'otoa's third temple.
- "Punish." Said to Fjord before stripping him of his power, after weeks of Fjord ignoring him.
- A recurring gag is the players habit of repeating Uk'otoa's name in hushed whispers when a character speaks it out loud.
- Uk'otoa's name bears close resemblance to the race of degenerate fishmen, the kuo-toa. Despite the similarity it is currently unknown whether Uk'otoa or its creator the Cloaked Serpent has any connection to these creatures.
- Matt confirmed in "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) that the reward for putting a Cloven Crystal in place to unseal Uk'otoa is a free Eldritch Invocation. This invocation, nicknamed "Dank Water Powers", gives the power to cast Control Water once per day without expending a spell slot.
- Matt confirmed in "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) that the three entities pictured in the yuan-ti temple, including Uk'otoa, were creations of the gods that became "pseudo-gods" after being left behind by their creators.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 31.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:15:16.
- ↑ See "Temple of the False Serpent" (2x39) at 1:46:34.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 33.
- ↑ Matthew Mercer confirms the spelling of Uk'otoa's name. See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:15:07.
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) at 25:23. Mural of Uk'otoa in the temple on Urukayxl
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) from 1:27:59 through 1:28:23.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) from 1:16:06 through 1:16:34.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) from 1:16:34 through 1:17:21.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) from 48:40 through 54:54.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) from 2:00:20 through 2:04:55.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) from 2:05:02 through 2:05:54.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 3:51:37. Fjord hears Uk'otoa's voice in the merrow lair
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) from 2:57:01 through 2:59:47. Fjord has a vision and absorbs a Cloven Crystal into his body
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) at 3:23:08.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) from 3:34:52 through 3:35:56. Fjord has a vision of Uk'otoa smiling and absorbs the Cloven Crystal found in Dashilla's lair
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) from 1:58:58 through 2:03:31.
- ↑ See "Cornered" (2x53) from 0:13:40 through 0:15:50.
- ↑ See "Agreements" (2x61) at 1:35:51.
- ↑ See "Agreements" (2x61) at 2:58:19.
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 3:06:00.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 0:59:47.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 0:55:44. Fjord coughs up salt water when he wakes up
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 2:04:56. Fjord wipes blood away from his mouth after waking up from a dream where he swallowed a sword
- ↑ See "Cornered" (2x53) from 0:13:40 through 0:15:50. Fjord wakes up vomiting salt water and brine after a dream where Uk'otoa squeezes him to death.
- ↑ See "A Pirate's Life for Me" (2x41).
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 2:38:04. Fjord sees a stone statue of Sabian in a dream
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) from 3:11:05 through 3:14:15. Fjord has a vision of Vandran absorbing a Cloven Crystal and simultaneously absorbs the Cloven Crystal found in the Gentleman's safe house
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 2:38:55. Fjord sees a stone statue of Vandran in a dream
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) from 3:53:48 through 3:54:54. Fjord has a vision of Uk'otoa smiling and absorbs the Cloven Crystal found in Dashilla's lair
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47).
- ↑ See "A Hole In the Plan" (2x42) at 3:08:55.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 37:01. Jester finds a box that used to hold a Cloven Crystal
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) from 22:40 through 29:00. Murals in the temple of the Uk'otoa on Urukayxl
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) at 21:00. Matt's explanation of "Dank Water Powers" Eldritch Invocation
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) at 2:07:03. Avantika casts Control Water
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) at 43:39. Avantika unlocks the seal on Urukayxl
- ↑ See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) from 3:11:05 through 3:14:15. Fjord has a vision and absorbs a Cloven Crystal into his body
- ↑ See "High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) from 0:58:54 through 1:00:35.
- ↑ See "Agreements" (2x61) at 1:37:25.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) at 21:00.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) at 37:16. Matt refers to the three entities pictured in the temple as "pseudo-gods"