- This page is about the actor. For the character from a one-shot campaign, see Travis Willingham (character).
Travis Willingham (@willingblam) is a voice actor who plays the character Fjord on Critical Role. He played the character Grog Strongjaw in the first campaign. He was also the Dungeon Master for "Critical Role: Grog's One-Shot" (Sx26). Travis is the CEO of Critical Role Productions LLC.
Pre-Stream[edit | edit source]
Matthew Mercer's Pathfinder campaign, which evolved into Critical Role, was Travis's first time playing a pen-and-paper RPG. Travis chose to be a goliath barbarian because he wanted to be a big character that liked to drink and fight a lot.
Laura Bailey, who played Vex'ahlia in the first campaign, is married to Travis in real life. During a campaign session, the party encountered a room full of traps. Travis, as Grog, slapped Trinket's behind, sending Vex's beloved companion charging through the traps and suffering significant damage. Travis didn't realize how upset Laura would be or how attached she was to her imaginary bear, and she allegedly made Travis sleep on the couch that night when they went home.
Critical Role[edit | edit source]
Travis's frequent, sometimes-calm and sometimes-dramatic, use of the phrase "I would like to rage" became an early and long-standing catchphrase for Grog and for all of Critical Role. It inspired multiple works of fan-made art and apparel. Other notable quotes include "I have an intelligence of 6; I know what I'm doing."
When asked if he could be any character besides Grog, Travis jokingly said he would be Trinket.
Travis's Player Characters[edit | edit source]
Main Storyline[edit | edit source]
- Grog Strongjaw, goliath barbarian/fighter (The Campaign of Vox Machina)
- Fjord, half-orc warlock/paladin (Campaign 2)
One-Shots and Special Episodes[edit | edit source]
- Sydney Hopkins Trivelpiece, rakshasa ("Deadlands One-Shot" (Sx11))
- Travis Willingham (character), human fighter ("Liam's Quest!" (Sx12) and "Liam's Quest: Full Circle" (Sx16))
- Tarvis, half-orc rogue ("The Screw Job" (Sx15))
- Skak Scar-Artist, goblin ("Shadow of War One-Shot: Part 1" (Sx22) and "Part 2" (Sx23))
- Travis Willingham (vampire), vampire ("Thursday by Night: Part 1" (Sx24) and "Part 2" (Sx25))
- Lokhor Windfallow, paladin ("Kobolds, Catacombs and Dragons (Oh My!)" (Sx29))
- Goober, raccoon ("Crash Pandas: Too Trashed, Too Curious" (Sx37))
- Bunder, human sorcerer ("Critical Role and the Club of Misfits" (Sx38))
- Chutney Chocolatecane, Christmas elf rogue ("The Night Before Critmas" (Sx41))
- Bertrand Bell, human fighter ("The Search for Grog" (Sx42) and "The Search For Bob" (Sx45))
- Captain Bentley Badger, butler and ex-british cavalry ("Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Crystal Palace" (Sx46))
- Reverend Mason, ("UnDeadwood")
- Macaroni Samsonite, halfling cleric ("The Adventures of the Darrington Brigade" (Sx49))
Episodes DMed by Travis[edit | edit source]
- "Critical Role: Grog's One-Shot" (Sx26)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On Talks Machina, the host Brian Wayne Foster likes to "#ThankMyGuests" with names that are either mispronounced or wordplay that sounds close to their names. Here are the names for Travis Willingham so far:
- Hours before the livestream of "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08), Laura tweeted a D&D character sheet for "Baby Willingham", announcing her and Travis's pregnancy.
- On June 28 2018, 4 hours before the livestream of "Divergent Paths" (2x25), Laura gave birth to her and Travis's son, Ronin.
- Travis' chosen drink for his Between the Sheets interview was an old fashioned.
- Every Halloween, the cast of Critical Role dresses up in costume for one episode. Travis has dressed up as Helga, the angry tavern wench (2015), Sylas Briarwood (2016), Joel Miller (2017), Bargain Bin Cowboy (2018), Two-Face (2019), and Orly Skiffback (2020).
- Travis is known for his fear of horror and other spooky things. One of the rewards for The Legend of Vox Machina kickstarter involved him walking through a haunted house, with a camera filming all of his reactions.
- To help him roleplay Fjord's sailor backstory, Travis filled a binder with information like ship terminology, types of knots and sailing terms separated by alphabetical dividers. The binder is labelled "Idiot's Guide to Sailing".
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Critical Role's Travis Willingham: I'm gonna rearrange your fa–ooh shiny! (October 8, 2015)
- Critical Role's Travis Willingham: Where you've heard him before (February 24, 2016)
- Between the Sheets: Travis Willingham (September 26, 2018)
- IMDb profile
References[edit | edit source]
- Travis Willingham by Gage Skidmore on Wikimedia Commons
- The World of Critical Role, Liz Marsham, p. 12, Ten Speed Press, 2020
- See "Wizard World Gaming Portland Panel" (Sx07) at 0:07:26.
- See "Critical Role Q&A and Battle Royale!" (Sx08) from 1:13:38 through 1:14:05.
- See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) at 0:41:21.
- See "Aramente to Pyrah" (1x22) from 1:08:45 through 1:10:20.
- Laura tweeted a photo to announce her pregnancy, which Travis retweeted (source).
- Travis tweeted a photo to announce the name of their son, which Laura retweeted (source).
- Travis Willingham's Spooktacular.
- See "Talks Machina #85: 'Dangerous Liasons'" (TMx85) at 12:00.