|This article is a stub. Please help the Critical Role wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, or improving existing text.
"The Family Business" (1x47) is the ninth episode of the fourth chapter of Critical Role. Vox Machina returns to where much of the group's history began: Westruun. But all is not well! Not only has the Chroma Conclave decimated the area, but another strangely familiar threat has taken hold of the city, as well...
The following pre-show promotional videos were shown on the Twitch stream, but they are not included on the final YouTube VoD:
- International Tabletop Day promotional video:
- This video was played multiple times, and it featured tabletop gaming scenes with cosplay at Game Häus in Glendale, CA.
- ITTD is 2016-04-30.
- Find participating locations near you at TableTopDay.com.
- Preferred Partner locations will also get some variety of limited ITTD game pieces, which are themed after Geek & Sundry's most memorable moments, for:
- International Tabletop Day call for store partners (presented by Ivan Van Norman):
- This video was played multiple times.
- Submit your one-minute or less video of you saying your name (or your store's name), talking about board games, reminiscing about games, or playing games all across the world.
- Deliver to Geek & Sundry in a high-resolution file (720p or higher) in a .MOV or .MP4 format.
- Submit either through WeTransfer or Dropbox to email@example.com.
- Submit by the deadline of 2016-04-15.
- Sam Riegel is running late.
- Liam O'Brien is joining via Skype from his family home.
- Sam arrived.
- Matthew Mercer and Marisha Ray will be guests at Tekko in Pittsburgh on the weekend of 2016 April 8th–10th.
- Tomorrow, 2016-04-01, is the last day to pre-order the Gilmore's Glorious Goods T-shirts from the Geek and Sundry webstore.
- Two new shirts are available for pre-order from the Geek and Sundry webstore. One is the "Dagger Dagger Dagger" design, and the other is the "Strongjaw Ale" design, both of which were created by Kennef Riggle. They will be available for one week.
- Critical Role is trying to find vendors that offer a greater range of T-shirt sizes.
- Sam Riegel voice directed a cartoon called Home, based on the movie Home, and the studio just announced it today.
- This is the 47th episode—three episodes away from the 50th episode.
- The 50th will be a regular episode, depending on where the story is at the time.
- There should be a couple surprises.
- There will be a big Critmas event on the 50th episode, after which the on-stream Critmas tradition will go on hiatus until the holidays.
- Wyrmwood Gaming partners with Critical Role, offering free shipping with the "critrole" discount code.
- Marisha Ray's last episode hosting Signal Boost will be Tuesday (2016-04-05), before the host rotation begins. She will continue producing the series.
- Liam O'Brien is currently in the kitchen of the house in which he grew up—the same room where he played Dungeons & Dragons for the first time as a child, now playing it as a professional actor.
Previously on Critical Role Edit
"Vox Machina, having to traverse the world in search of artifacts known as the Vestiges of the Divergence—ancient items of power used in massive-scale warfare in ancient moments of history—had acquired one from a sunken temple to the Champion of the Raven Queen, taking the life—thankfully not permanently—of Vex'ahlia. The party then retrieved their first artifact and then made their way towards the Pyrah tribe of the Ashari druids, the fire guardians of the gate to the Elemental Plane of Fire, which apparently Thordak, the Cinder King—the great red dragon that helms the Chroma Conclave that has torn through all of the civilization of Tal'Dorei—emerged from.
"The party went there, found a surviving faction of the Pyrah tribe including Cerkonos, their headmaster, as well as a few members of Keyleth's tribe, the Air Ashari, and her father. They went towards the remnants of the Cindergrove, ran into an... ally, a strange blue-scaled dragonborn by the name of Gern Blanston, master of necromancy and candle-making, and combining the two for interesting effect. They fought their way through the Cindergrove, tearing through elementals, encasing ifrits in hamster balls and holding them aloft for extended periods of time, and then managed to seal the gate with the help of the druidic tribes there, Gern, and the intrepid adventurers known as Vox Machina. After which, they went to spend the evening there on the mountainside, to rest before continuing their journey to wherever that next step may be."
Part I Edit
Part II Edit
Featured Characters Edit
Vox Machina Edit
- Percival de Rolo
- Scanlan Shorthalt
- Grog Strongjaw
- Horace[spelling?]: A goliath from Grog's herd, younger and smaller than Grog. Horace's name was given by Kevdak in ridicule. Grog killed Horace with Craven Edge.
- Kohl[spelling?]: Accompanies Horace in patrolling the fields.
- Reginald ("Reggie"): A farmer whose daughter was abducted by a group of half-orcs, goliaths, and others. Horace took pleasure in torturing Reginald occasionally, and referred to him as "Reggie".
- Zanror: Grog's cousin; Kevdak's son. Mentioned only.
- Margrave Atrix: Mentioned only. "Margrave" is a position and title, and Atrix is the current Margrave.
- Cerkonos: His right arm, destroyed in Thordak's escape from the Elemental Plane of Fire, is in the process of regrowing now.
- Kevdak: Grog's uncle. According to Horace, Kevdak swore fealty to Umbrasyl. Mentioned only.
- Abjurist Noja: Mentioned only.
- Wilhand Trickfoot: Mentioned only.
|Acquired||27||gold pieces||Horace's corpse||Scanlan||Scanlan looted Horace after he was slain by Grog.|
|Ignored||1||bone necklace||Horace's corpse||Horace's corpse||Scanlan left these items upon looting Horuaces corpse.|
- Percy, to Scanlan: "I think your penis may have more names than I do. I'm kind of horrified."
External Links Edit
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:00:19.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:00:24.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:00:52.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:01:15.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:01:53.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:03:15.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:03:07.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:04:02.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:04:32.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:04:58.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:05:42.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:06:20.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:07:18.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) from 0:07:46 through 0:10:13.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) from 0:02:17 through 0:03:06.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) from 0:06:20 through 0:06:56.
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:12:44.
- ↑ Screenshot of Laura Bailey's reaction to her successful activation of the Broom of Flying that Vex'ahlia stole from Gern Blanston in "Cindergrove Revisited" (1x46). "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:40:51
- ↑ Fan art of Vex'ahlia flying on the broom she stole from Gern Blanston in "Cindergrove Revisited" (1x46), by Megzilla87 (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Screenshot of Marisha Ray laughing at Travis Willingham's rage over the cast misinterpreting "midnight tomorrow" as "midnight tonight". "The Family Business" (1x47) at 0:02:35