Zehir, The Cloaked Serpent is an evil god of poisons, assassins, and darkness. He is the creator of snakes and also of serpent-kin, but most of them were annihilated during the Calamity, and those who survived are in self-induced stasis or hunted by the followers of the Spider Queen and the Crawling King.
Many depictions of him can be found in his long forgotten and abandoned temples. He takes the form of man's body with a half-dozen arms and a gargantuan fanged serpent head, with strands of thick, dark hair sprouting from his scaled body that swirl around to form layers of shadow, obscuring his entire form.
The tenets of Zehir's religion are largely related to the sowing of chaos. He believes that to keep your acts obfuscated and secret is the greatest means of success. He commands that his followers strike quickly and without reason, and blind the target with their own confusion. He commands his followers kill slowly, agonizingly, or worse, make them enjoy it.
Commandments of the Cloaked Serpent Edit
Places of Worship Edit
The Cloaked Serpent loathes the Lawbearer and the Wildmother, as they stand for everything he despises: love, order and life. His followers try to appease him by using poison and fire to undermine civilization and consume nature.
In the yuan-ti temple on Urukayxl, the Mighty Nein saw three murals - depicting Desirat, a giant purple bird with fire-like wings and three eyes of onyx, Uk'otoa, a gigantic sea serpent emerging from the water with many small eyes of amber and three large eyes, and Quajath, a worm-like creature with three eyes of ivory inside its mouth, plowing through the earth.
- Matt confirmed in "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) that the three entities pictured in the yuan-ti temple, including Uk'otoa, are all creations of the gods. He said some creations of the gods became "pseudo-gods" after being left behind by their creators.
- "Zehir" means "venom, poison" in Turkish.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:16:18.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 19.
- ↑ See "Temple of the False Serpent" (2x39) at 1:18:34.
- ↑ Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 16.
- ↑ See "Temple of the False Serpent" (2x39) at 10:24.
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) from 22:40 through 29:00.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) from 1:16:07 through 1:16:35.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #89: 'Dubious Pursuits'" (TMx89) at 37:16. Matt refers to the three entities pictured in the temple as "pseudo-gods".