- This page is about the actor. For the character from the "Liam's Quest" special episodes, see Sam Riegel (character).
Sam Riegel (@SamReigel) is a voice actor who plays Veth Brenatto, a halfling (formerly goblin) rogue, on Critical Role. He played Scanlan Shorthalt, a gnome bard, and Taryon Darrington, a human artificer, in the first campaign. He has also been the Dungeon Master for several special episodes.
The Roots of Critical Role[edit | edit source]
Before Critical Role began, Sam and his best friend Liam O'Brien created a podcast called allworknoplay, with the purpose of trying to get more fun into their busy schedules. Towards the end of episode 2 of the podcast, the two of them talked about getting ready for the upcoming "one-time" D&D game. Sam asked Liam what was the "worst character" to play as, and Liam suggested a gnome. Sam talked about being a bard in the podcast, which would suit him due to his background in music both from college and his help in writing show ideas for The Voice.
Pre-Stream[edit | edit source]
Sam recorded a few short clips of the pre-stream Critical Role game from when they were running Pathfinder. These clips can be found on his vine page, here.
Critical Role[edit | edit source]
As Scanlan the bard, he was known for improvising songs on the fly. Examples include: "I think you're really handsome and nice! You're going to have inspiration dice!" He often pulled songs from pop culture and modified their lyrics, as in, "Here's a little song I wrote! It's filled with inspiration, note for note. Don't fuck up. Or I'll kill you."
Sam became the first player in the Critical Role canon to introduce a second player character when Scanlan Shorthalt left Vox Machina, to be replaced by Taryon Darrington in "A Bard's Lament" (1x85). He would later reprise his role as Scanlan in "Masquerade" (1x99), leaving Tary behind in "Thar Amphala" (1x101).
Sam's Player Characters[edit | edit source]
Main Storyline[edit | edit source]
- Scanlan Shorthalt, gnome bard (The Campaign of Vox Machina)
- Taryon Darrington, human artificer (The Campaign of Vox Machina)
- Veth Brenatto, halfing rogue (formerly Nott the Brave, goblin rogue)(Campaign 2)
One-Shots and Special Episodes[edit | edit source]
- Sam Riegel (character), human ranger ("Liam's Quest!" (Sx12) and "Liam's Quest: Full Circle" (Sx16))
- Obby "the Rat", dwarf rogue ("The Screw Job" (Sx15))
- Ur-Eden Goodthink, troll monk ("Shadow of War One-Shot: Part 1" (Sx22) and "Part 2" (Sx23))
- Sam Riegel (vampire), vampire ("Thursday by Night: Part 1" (Sx24) and "Part 2" (Sx25))
- Peddy Tuxpin, bear ("Trinket's Honey Heist" (Sx27))
- Claire, human wizard ("Critical Role and the Club of Misfits" (Sx38))
- Bundlestein Sprucenberg, Christmas elf fighter ("The Night Before Critmas" (Sx41))
- The Archvile ("Doom Eternal One-Shot" (Sx52))
Episodes DMed by Sam[edit | edit source]
- "Critical Role: Bar Room Blitz" (Sx21)
- "Critical Role One-Shot: Once Upon a Fairytale Cruise" (Sx28)
- "Crash Pandas: Too Trashed, Too Curious" (Sx37)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On Talks Machina, the host Brian Wayne Foster likes to "#ThankMyGuests" with names that are either mispronounced or wordplay that sounds close to their names. Here are the names for Sam Riegel so far:
- On September 11, 2001, Sam and his wife Quyen witnessed the attacks on the World Trade Center. They lived in an apartment nearby.
- Sam is a known wine snob, which the cast often tease him about.
- Every week, Sam retells the events of Critical Role as a bedtime story for his children.
- Sam Riegel created "The Meta Gaming Pigeon" concept in "Midnight Espionage" (2x12)
- In 2018, Riegel received the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program for his work on Danger & Eggs.
- Sam's chosen drink for his Between the Sheets interview was a sidecar.
- Sam has come up with dozens of bits to promote Critical Role's sponsors during the announcements at the beginning of episodes. He often sings jingles, dresses up in costumes, or performs strange feats to entertain the audience, with the actual sponsorship often simply thrown into them. He will sometimes enlist other cast members to participate. Some of these bits have come back multiple times and even have their own lore, like the hacker bit for Backblaze/Nord VPN.
- One of Sam's most iconic bits was his campain to be elected as President of D&D Beyond. As of Uthodurn (August 2nd, 2019) Sam lost the election of 69th President of D&D Beyond to campaign rival, Liam O'Brien. However, in a twist ending, he accepted Liam's "proposal" to become the the first ever co-presidents of D&D Beyond.
- During the second campaign, Sam has worn every shirt he wore in Campaing One in the same order, with a few exceptions. Critrole Stats has compiled a gallery of all of Sam's shirts.
- He finally completed the bit during "Devoutness and Dicks" (2x107), when he wore the shirt from the campaign one finale.
- Another one of Sam's running gags is his gigantic drinkware. During Campaign One, he drank from a massive tankard, and taped stickers, pictures and text to the bottom that could be seen while he tipped the drink back. Similarly, he acquired several giant flasks from fans during Campaign Two, in reference to the Flask of Perpetual Booze, and also taped jokes to it. He even taped objects to it, like a spinning wheel and a basketball hoop. Critrole Stats has compiled a gallery of Sam's mug and flask for every episode.
- Sam has stated that he never washed his mug or his flask and that drinking from them tastes kind of weird.
- Every Halloween, the cast of Critical Role dresses up in costume for one episode. Sam has dressed up as Burt Reynolds (2015), Hotis (2016), Pac-Man (2017), a bottle of ketchup (2018), Phoenix Writght (2019) and Kiri (2020).
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Critical Role's Sam Riegel: From noob to gnome hero (September 17, 2015)
- Critical Role's Sam Riegel: Where you've heard him before (February 10, 2016)
- Sam's Reddit AMA (July 12, 2017)
- Between the Sheets: Sam Riegel (October 17, 2018)
- IMDb profile
References[edit | edit source]