Salamanders are a group of amphibians typically characterized by their lizard-like appearance, with slender bodies, blunt snouts, short limbs projecting at right angles to the body. They are native to the Elemental Planes.
A fire salamander is a large, ferocious lizard creature that is covered in red and orange scales and emanates an intense heat around itself. Its head and neck are more humanoid with smoke seeping out of their eyes and ears and a slimy black tongue. Some are armed with long black iron spears or trident-like weapons, though most use their claws and their ten foot long tail.
Fire salamanders hatch from eggs that are spheres of smoldering obsidian measuring two feet in diameter. When a salamander is ready to hatch, it melts through the egg's thick shell and emerges as a fire snake. A fire snake matures into a salamander adult within a year.
The following is drawn from the Monster Manual:
- Vulnerable to Cold
- Immune to Fire
- Resistances: Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Nonmagical Attacks
- Heated Body: a creature that touches the salamander or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 ft. of it takes 7 (2d6) fire damage.
- Heated Weapons: Any metal melee weapon the salamander wields deals an extra 3 (1d6) fire damage on a hit (included in the attack).
A frost salamander is a massive, lizard-like creatures of deep blue cerulean color. It has numerous legs arranged along its bodies, and frost crystals gather at the edges of its limbs and along its folds. As it exhales, the air gives off a cloud of frost.
They are native to the Elemental Plane of Ice. Many found their way into the colder climates of the Material Plane, where they carve out lairs and tunnels in ice and hunt sources of warmth for food. They are often trapped and trained as utility creatures by frost giants to both clear ground for their fortresses as well as provide protection. Given the current state of the frost giants of Eiselcross, these tamed frost salamanders have returned to the wild and taken up residence in Aeor.
- Immune to cold damage
- Vulnerable to fire damage
- Freezing breath: 8d10 cold damage in cone with 17 DC constitution saving throw
One day Frankfurt was tasked by Garello to deliver a girl named Holly to the Ass Sailor bar and wait there for his arrival. However, as soon as he appeared, Garello grabbed the girl and fled toward the cellar, later revealing himself as a fire salamander.
- Monster Analysis: Salamanders and Efreet — CritRoleStats
- Monster Analysis: Frost Salamanders — CritRoleStats
- See D&D: Monster Manual, 5th ed., p. 265.
- Salamander description on Wikipedia.
- See "Those Who Walk Away" (1x45) at 0:44:06.
- See "Critical Role: Bar Room Blitz" (Sx21) at 3:26:42.
- See "Critical Role: Bar Room Blitz" (Sx21) at 3:36:40.
- See "Hunter and Hunted" (2x133) at 42:25. Saving throw 17 just succeeds
- See "Critical Role: Bar Room Blitz" (Sx21) at 3:26:42. Revealed himself as a salamander.
- See "Aeor" (2x132) at 3:36:41.
- See 1x133 at 9:54.
- Depiction of a fire salamander from Monster Manual, 5th Edition, p. 265. This file is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.
- Depiction of a frost salamander from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, p. 223. This file is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.
- Fan art of the frost salamander in Aeor, by ArtByMikuTee (source). Used with permission.