|This article is a stub. Please help the Critical Role wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, or improving existing text.
The Rumedam Desert is a vast desert of dunes, overbearing heat, and sandstorms. Travel through the desert is dangerous not only because of the extreme weather, but also the hungry creatures who live there. The desert is at least partly bordered by jungles.
- Ank'Harel is a large, central oasis city in the center of the Rumedam Desert.
- Shandal is a small village south of Ank'Harel where Shaun Gilmore's parents live.
Certain "strange blooms" found in the deserts of Marquet can induce coma-like effects.
Many people live in the deserts of Marquet, but the hazards of that life are such that it is relatively common to meet people there who are missing limbs and other body parts. It is inadvisable to stop at a campfire in the desert, partly due to banditry; the Hand of Ord do not have the resources to patrol the entire desert and it can therefore be a lawless place.
The land that is now the Rumedam desert was once a lush jungle that was home to an elvish and orcish civilization during the Calamity. It was destroyed by Gruumsh the Ruiner, and the surrounding land was turned to desert.
Before maturing into an ancient dragon, Thordak had ruled and terrorized over half of Marquet for centuries from his base in the Scaldwind Sands. After he and his armies attacked the then-rising city of Ank'Harel, Thordak was gravely wounded and lost the battle. Most Marquesians believed he had died of his wounds.
On two occasions, Vox Machina opted to use Wind Walk to fly over the Rumedam Desert to reach their destinations. The first time, after teleporting to Shandal, Vox Machina then flew north four or five hours to Ank'Harel, implying a distance of 136 to 170 miles. Later, they flew from Ank'Harel southeast 290 miles toward the Smouldercrown Mountains to investigate the ziggurat there. The circular formation of spire-like mountains, only a few miles wide, protects a tiny valley within from the sandstorms of the surrounding desert.
- Matthew Mercer used this name for the first time in his post on Critrole.com on 18 October 2021.
- See "A Hungry Jungle" (3x18) at 1:49:09.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 159.
- See A Warm Welcome to Marquet and Campaign 3! on CritRole.com.
- See Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 98.
- See "Exandria: An Intimate History" (Sx61) at 7:39.
- See A Warm Welcome to Marquet and Campaign 3! on CritRole.com. Previously, Matthew Mercer had conceived of the deserts as covering 70% of the continent; see "Critical Role panel w/ Matthew Mercer and Mary E. McGlynn from MomoCon" from 0:32:58 through 0:34:30.
- See "The Streets of Ank'Harel" (1x65) at 52:10.
- See "Manifold Morals" (2x74) at 1:43:52.
- See "The Streets of Ank'Harel" (1x65) at 1:06:08.
- See "Unfinished Business" (1x100) at 1:02:22.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 174.
- See Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn, p. 146.
- Matthew Mercer explained on Reddit that Thordak had not yet matured to "ancient" when he attacked Ank'Harel.
- See "Desperate Measures" (1x40) at 2:36:36. Thordak had ruled half of Marquet for centuries before attacking the city; see also the reference from "A Traveler's Gamble" (1x66) about the city being 100 or 150 years old when he attacked.
- See "A Traveler's Gamble" (1x66) at 14:46.
- See "Desperate Measures" (1x40) from 2:36:18 through 2:42:03.
- See "The Streets of Ank'Harel" (1x65) at 1:38:05.
- See "Unfinished Business" (1x100) from 53:44 through 1:09:02.