- For the continent, see Tal'Dorei.
The Republic of Tal'Dorei, also known simply as Tal'Dorei, is a republic in Exandria, on the continent of the same name. Formed from the Kingdom of Drassig, it was formerly ruled by a sovereign, the final one being Sovereign Uriel Tal'Dorei III, alongside a council. Uriel later chose to step down in favor of rule by council alone.
- Emon: Capital of Tal'Dorei; home of Vox Machina, Shaun Gilmore, and Allura Vysoren; site of Greyskull Keep and the original Gilmore's Glorious Goods.
- Kymal: Hometown of Kaylie; accommodated some refugees from the Chroma Conclave's assault on Westruun.
- Stilben: Small town in Tal'Dorei where Vox Machina met. It is the main port city on the Lucidian Coast and a hotbed of Clasp activity.
- Westruun: Site of the Cobalt Reserve, a collection of some of the oldest known records of civilization; home to the under-development second Gilmore's Glorious Goods shop (before the Chroma Conclave attacked).
- Fort Daxio: is located on the western side of the Cliffkeep Mountains, north of Emon and Kraghammer
There are two illegal drugs in Tal'Dorei. Oloore root is a heavy psychedelic originally used by druidic cultures, and suude is refined from arcane residuum, causes head rush, and enhances senses/magic. Trafficking oloore root is a major source of income for the Clasp.
Attack of the Chroma Conclave
A group of chromatic dragons called the Chroma Conclave attacked Tal'Dorei (and other parts of the world) in Chapter 4. Sovereign Uriel and several of his council members were slain in the initial attack. Emon and Westruun were severely damaged by the dragons, then further damaged by looters and opportunists, such as the people stealing from Gilmore's Glorious Goods in Emon and the Herd of Storms that sacked Westruun.
Refugees from Westruun were accepted by Kymal and villages nearby, with many of the remaining refugees forming a small tent city in Foramere Basin. Whitestone was not attacked in the initial assault, so Vox Machina transported refugees from Emon and Westruun to the relative safety of Whitestone using Keyleth's Transport via Plants spell.
Other cities were spared the Chroma Conclave's assault. Kraghammer was not attacked, although it was naturally protected by its subterranean nature. Stilben was not hit, either. Syngorn's defenses were activated, shifting the elven city into the Feywild.
In the aftermath of the defeat of the Chroma Conclave, the Republic of Tal’Dorei is ruled by a standing council. That council is made up of 6 members (7 in wartime) that each have responsibilities over one particular sphere of public life:
- Master of Development: Hearthmaker Theadorn Krazz
- Master of Arcana: Arcanist Allura Vysoren
- Master of Law: Arbiter Brom Goldhand
- Master of Commerce: Coinmistress Hanna Wasseran
- Master of Information: Seeker Assum Emring
- Master of Defense: Guardian Tofor Brotoras
- Master of War: vacant (This position is elected by the council only for the duration of a declared war.)
In addition, the members of Vox Machina were also granted membership on the council, but none of them functioned as regular members, nor did any of them later settle permanently in the capital city of Emon in order to make this a practical possibility.
Emon: “The Arms of Emon”
In Emon and the immediately surrounding area, law, order and basic security are maintained by a well-trained force known as the "Arms of Emon" that operates out of Emon's Military District but trains separately from military recruits. They serve as both a garrison manning the walls and outposts and as a law enforcement arm, patrolling the streets and making arrests. A palace guard, whose relationship to the Arms of Emon is not specified, protects Emon's leadership.
Westruun and Turst Fields: “The Shields of the Plains”
As Westruun is under martial law, a military unit known as the "Shields of the Plains" serves also as law enforcement, though they are ineffective against the Clasp. While Westruun is a much smaller city than Emon and requires fewer men patrolling it, the Shields of the Plains are also tasked with patrolling much of the central portion of the realm. With an established strength of only 800, they are spread thin and have barely kept the roaming bands of Ravagers at bay. About 150 of these "Shields" are permanently stationed as a detachment in the small town of Turst Fields to enforce the laws and protect it from roaming Ravagers.
The realm has a strong mobile reserve of regiments located at Fort Daxio, north of Emon in the Cliffkeep Mountains, close to the borderlands from which the most common threats to the peace and security of the realm have come. See the entry on Fort Daxio for more information on these four regiments.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 35.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 41.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 10 (Chapter 1: Campaigns in Tal'Dorei).
- See "Omens" (1x39).
- Marisha Ray and Matthew Mercer inform the rest of the cast that oloore root is one of two illegal substances traded in Emon, that the Clasp makes a lot of money from it, and that Keyleth has used it like "an ayahuasca tea" to have a vision: "Critical Role ComiCon Panal" on YouTube
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 55.
- From Matthew Mercer's tweet on Tal'Dorei drugs.
- From Matthew Mercer's Reddit comment on oloore root.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 88.
- See "Omens" (1x39) at 2:19:30.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 58–59.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 58.