Caleb and Beauregard are very good friends. Although their relationship had a rocky start, they quickly came to rely on each other and eventually grew very close. The two are also the dedicated researchers of the group and will team up when trying to solve a problem.
Being the only two Empire-born human citizens in the Mighty Nein, Caleb and Beau have a rather unique friendship among the group, and have a lot in common. Although Beau is much more expressive and confrontational, they share a similar awkwardness in social situations. They were both raised in the Dwendalian Empire, but think it is a flawed nation and want to actively make things better for the people of the Empire, especially if it means dismantling the current power structure. They also share a sharp analytical mind and vast general knowledge, especially when it comes to history.
Beau was one of the first people to hear about Caleb's past, and never shared his secret until he was ready to do so himself. Caleb has shown trust in Beauregard numerous times by choosing to hang onto her shoulder while his senses were transferred into his companion, Frumpkin. Beauregard has called Caleb her best friend, and Beauregard is probably the person Caleb trusts most after Veth.
Initially in direct contrast with each other, Caleb and Beau didn't start off with the best first impressions of each other. Caleb's propensity for keeping secrets and details to himself, and trying to steer the group or a scenario in the direction he thought was best, did not sit well with Beau due to her past. That said, Caleb has seemed very impressed with Beau and her physical fitness since the beginning, as he credited the success of Jester, Beau, and Fjord saving the daughter of Rinaldo from a giant snake to "Beau's guns". Caleb frequently places his hand on Beau's shoulder when seeing through Frumpkin's eyes, a habit he developed early on.
Seeing Caleb's desire to enter the Archive of the Cobalt Soul, she confided in him that she was a member of the library, showing him the script she had hidden within her belt denoting her membership. On the condition that he tell her about his past and why he was afraid of fire, she promised to take him to the library. Caleb first asked Beau about her feelings concerning the Empire, and Beau said she wasn't invested in politics, but thought the Empire was "pretty shitty overall". Caleb seemed encouraged by this, and told Beau, as well as Nott, the story of how he murdered his mother and father. When Beau understood that Caleb and his friends had been made executioners for the Empire, she was shocked, calling the practice "deeply fucked". Beau showed no judgement when hearing his tale, but insisted that Caleb had a responsibility to stop Trent Ikithon before he hurt any more people, and that he shouldn't run away again. Beau later kept her promise and accompanied him to the Archive, and has kept Caleb's secret ever since.
When dealing with Calianna's dangerous magic bowl, Beau and Caleb got in a heated argument. Caleb had hidden the bowl from Calianna, suggesting that Jester cast a truth spell on Calianna to confirm that she really wants the bowl only to destroy it. Beau snatched it from his hand, leaving Caleb flabbergasted. Beau argued with him until she handed the bowl to Calianna and told Caleb that he didn't get to use his past trauma to control other people. Calianna stepped in to say Caleb was the only one who really understands how powerful the bowl was, and that he was doing the right thing. Caleb walked away, and the group destroyed the bowl with Yasha's Magician Judge. Beau later felt she owed Caleb an apology, and approached Caleb the next evening. She said she got a little aggressive and shouldn't have brought up his past. Caleb gave her a very awkward hug, causing Beau to stiffen up, and whispered that he had no idea what he was doing. With encouragement from Fjord, Beau hugged him back, equally awkwardly, and asked if they are friends. Caleb agreed.
Beau is one of the few members of the Mighty Nein that Caleb has allowed to command Frumpkin. After Beau lost her pet owl, Caleb transformed Frumpkin into a "one-ounce owl" and loaned him to her for a week to help her feel better. He said he wanted to thank her for not telling anyone about his past.
Despite their inherent difficulty in communicating their feelings and emotions to each other, in the aftermath of discovering the burnt apothecary of Yeza Brenatto, Beau tried to protect Caleb's secret as Nott began to reveal parts of his past, silently indicating for her to stop. Beau gave Caleb support when he was panicked about having to reveal his story, prompting her to tell him with sincerity and earnest concern, "Don't run." When Caleb began to open up to the rest of the group about his dark past, he repeated his common shoulder touch, but this time for emotional support.
During their time in Xhorhas, the two of them finally came to a true understanding when they finally admitted that they see each other as friends and that they both want what's best for both the Empire and the Kryn Dynasty. Ever since that moment, Beau and Caleb's platonic, sibling-like relationship has undergone profound growth. Beau will usually go to Caleb first if she has a problem, and the two of them often conduct research together and bond over their shared interests in history and the like. Caleb noted to himself that Beau's more relaxed and invested approach to research and reading while in the Rexxentrum archive was a welcome contrast to the first time they went to the Zadash library together.
When Caleb created his extra-planar Tower, he put a lot of care in creating each party member's quarters. When he showed Beauregard her four-poster bed, he asked her to pull on a sash hanging from above her, revealing a mirror built into the roof of the bed. Beauregard was so shocked she couldn't speak, and as Caleb pushed everyone else outside, telling Beau to meet up with them later, she yelled, "You're my best friend, Caleb!".
Caleb has referred to Beau as his "partner" in making things right back at home, and expressed his gratitude for being by his side the whole time as they waltzed in the Soltryce Academy's dance hall.
During the Mighty Nein's travels with the Tombtakers, Caleb managed to convince Lucien to let him have a look at his mysterious book. He and Beauregard read it together, and it had a strange effect on them. That night, they had identical dreams about the Somnovem reaching out to them, and woke up the next morning with an eye tattoo somewhere on their bodies. A few days later, after a similar dream, they both acquired a second eye.
- Liam and Marisha, who play Caleb and Beauregard, played lovers (Vax'ildan and Keyleth) in the first campaign.
- Caleb and Beauregard appeared together (with Frumpkin) in Mighty Vibes Vol 2: Chill Tunes to Study/Transcribe Magic To.
- The two are often referred to as the "Empire Kids", due to a comment by Caleb.
- Caleb and Beauregard are both attracted to Jester. Liam has stated that Caleb is aware of Beau's crush, and that he thinks she or Fjord would be a better match for Jester than he would. Beauregard has never appeared to be aware of Caleb's crush on Jester, however.
- Beauregard's crush on Jester is likely gone now that she has entered into a romantic relationship with Yasha instead.
Other Intraparty Relationships
- See "A Show of Scrutiny" (2x02) at 2:24:37.
- See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 2:30:36.
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 2:11:36.
- See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) from 4:03:04 through 4:14:00.
- See "Lost Treasures" (2x22) at 3:19:30.
- See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) at 2:36:16. Caleb loans owl form Frumpkin to Beau
- See "Intervention" (2x63) at 1:37:03.
- See "A Game of Names" (2x49) from 1:15:45 through 1:17:08.
- See "In Love and War" (2x57) from 3:39:25 through 3:43:39.
- See "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" (2x122) at 3:30:43.
- See "Worth Fighting For" (2x126) at 0:15:06.
- Fan art of Beauregard and Caleb, by Aurex Aldori (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caleb and Beau reconciling when she apologized for the confrontation over Calianna's bowl, by Hugo Cardenas (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caleb and Beau's cold weather gear, by linzer art (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caleb and Beau's eyes, by Stephanie Brown (source). Used with permission.