This article or section may require cleanup. The spelling, grammar, or formatting may need attention. The content may be out of place, overwritten, and/or contradictory. You can help the Critical Role wiki by reviewing this article and cleaning it up.
Sections needing work: - Episode-by-episode summaries - Relationships (Thordak)
- For episode 80 (chapter 6, episode 11), see Raishan (episode).
Raishan, as an ancient green dragon, was able to take on the form of others. She had frequently taken on the form of Seeker Assum, briefly a dwarf named Larkin, and deceived the Fire Ashari through the form of a young girl for several years.
Her natural form was that of a green dragon. She had piercing green eyes, gnarled green scales and hide, and arrays of brilliantly white teeth. She was, however, much smaller than the other ancient members of the Chroma Conclave, due to the strange disease countered upon her by a druid half a century ago. Because of this ailment, her body was covered with festering pustule sores and gashes. However, this did not hinder her fighting ability. She was quite versed in Druidic magic and harnessed the poison from within her to do damage.
Until the rise of Vecna, Raishan was considered the greatest nemesis that Vox Machina had fought. Despite her illness making her physically weaker and smaller, her mind was perhaps the sharpest of the Chroma Conclave. She managed to deceive Vox Machina for some time as Seeker Assum, and deceived them of her underlying motives even after her identity was revealed. She was innately clever, skilled in the art of charisma and (through this) managed to evade Vox Machina twice.
It was Raishan that brokered the idea that if all five chromatic dragons worked together, they could wipe out most of the controlling Kingdom of Tal'Dorei on the continent. The five together would also be powerful enough to wipe out the most immediate threat to the Conclave: Draconia. The result would be the Conclave members put in a position of power with no serious opposition.
Raishan shares the general contempt of her chromatic brethren for "lesser" races. In her own words: "You act as though the laws of the anthill affect the foot that crushes it." She displayed no regret for her part in the genocide against the Fire Ashari, seeing them as little more than an annoying but minor obstacle in her mission to find a cure for her affliction.
Raishan was cursed half a century ago by a druid, after Raishan had killed all the followers at a temple of Melora. The druid gave her last breath to "spite" Raishan. At first the sickness was merely an inconvenience to Raishan, however the disease spread and worsened over the years. Raishan became obsessed with finding a cure but everything she tried failed.
Thordak seemed to recognize the disease and offered to rid her of the illness in return for her servitude. They made an agreement to discuss the terms after Thordak returned from marking his domain, however he did not return.
Raishan found out, after years of seeking, that Thordak had been bound to the fire plane. When she met him on the plane he spoke of plans for vengeance and dominance, however Thordak would not reveal the cure to Raishan's disease until she found a way to release him. Raishan proposed a conclave to Thordak and prepared everything for his escape.
Disguised as a fifteen-year-old human girl, Raishan came to Pyrah about four years before the Chroma Conclave attacked Emon, where she joined the Fire Ashari. The leader of the Fire Ashari, Cerkonos noticed that she did not seem to mature like a normal human and saw that she possessed great power but he did not realize her true nature as a green dragon.
Raishan planned to free Thordak from the fire plane at the the Celestial Solstice however the power he was consuming from the heart stone had started driving him mad. Therefore, she decided to initiate the escape at Winter's Crest instead, as she feared Thordak would forget their deal if she waited any longer.
After Thordak was freed from the fire plane, Raishan realized that he had never meant to tell her the cure, therefore she wished to kill him and then call back his spirit to tell her how to rid herself of the illness.
Raishan encountered Vox Machina when she and the rest of the Chroma Conclave interrupted Sovereign Uriel Tal'Dorei III's abdication speech and laid waste to a large group of Tal'Dorei Council members and other political and economic elites in Emon. Uriel died from this attack, Gilmore was wounded, and some members of Vox Machina nearly died, as well.
"Desperate Measures" (1x40) Edit
The next day, after losing her connection to the teleportation sigils in Westruun, Lady Allura scryed across Tal'Dorei. She revealed to Vox Machina that eastern towns, including Westruun, had, indeed, been conquered, presumably by Raishan and Umbrasyl.
"The Frigid Doom" (1x64) Edit
For some time after the initial attack, Raishan seemed to disappear, with nobody seeing or hearing anything about her current activities. Shaun Gilmore explained to Vox Machina that attempts to scry Raishan's location had been hindered.
"Passed Through Fire" (1x69) Edit
Raishan finally reappeared in Whitestone, where she revealed to Vox Machina that she had taken the form of Assum Emring. She proposed an alliance of sorts with Vox Machina, saying that she wanted to take down the Cinder King, Thordak.
Raishan proposed an alliance, explaining that with circumstances as they were, she thought that Vox Machina had very little choice, much like her. When Vax asked about her motives, she revealed her history to the party.
"The Coming Storm" (1x73) Edit
"Clash at Daxio" (1x77) Edit
"The Siege of Emon" (1x78) Edit
Raishan assisted Vox Machina in the battle against Thordak. After the red dragon was slain, Raishan walked up to his corpse and began casting a spell from a scroll. Vax'ildan then attacked her, having been told by Keyleth not to let the green dragon touch Thordak's corpse. Raishan fled deeper into Thordak's lair. Vax, Vex, and Keyleth chased after her and entered a lava-filled cavern containing five strange crystalline dragon eggs. From her position at the ceiling of the cavern, Raishan cast Meteor Swarm and dealt some heavy damage to the half-elves.
The rest of Vox Machina and their allies made their way down into Thordak's lair to join the fight with Raishan. Scanlan used the flute given to him by J'mon Sa Ord and the brass dragon soon arrived to aid them. During the fight, Raishan dealt heavy damage to Vox Machina, forcing them to focus on healing each other rather than attacking her. Both Vex'ahlia and Scanlan were temporarily killed during the battle. When most of them were laying injured or unconscious on the ground, Raishan took the opportunity to escape, taking two of the dragon eggs with her and teleporting away with Thordak's corpse.
"What Lies Beneath the Surface" (1x81) Edit
After Raishan's escape, Keyleth scryed on her and saw Raishan had fled to an island in the middle of an ocean. In the caverns underneath that island was a laboratory full of bookshelves. Within that laboratory, Keyleth saw Thordak's corpse, the two dragon eggs, and Raishan in the form of a humanoid woman with long green hair, furiously searching through the books then tossing them aside.
"Deadly Echoes" (1x82) Edit
Vox Machina infiltrated the island where Raishan was and eventually came upon the dragon still in her humanoid form and still looking through books such as Opash's notes.
"The Deceiver's Stand" (1x83) EditVox Machina began their second battle against Raishan. Although the group had fully rested, so had the dragon, and she rained devastation down on the party with multiple powerful spells, including Meteor Swarm. During the battle, Raishan once again killed Scanlan. Keyleth managed to hit her with a successful Feeblemind spell, reducing the ancient dragon to a mindless beast and preventing her from using any more spells. Nevertheless, Raishan still managed to get another kill, this time gutting Percy. Shortly after, Raishan's life was brought to an end by a fierce hammer blow from Kerrek.
The relationship between Keyleth and Raishan is comparable to the rivalry between Percy and Ripley. But unlike Ripley, Raishan thought very little of Keyleth, considering her just another insect among many. She seemed to delight in taunting her over the destruction of the Fire Ashari and treating her like a child, which served to further enrage the druid. Keyleth later begrudgingly agreed to the alliance that Raishan had proposed to kill Thordak, but she still reminded the dragon that the last thing she will see is Keyleth's face before she dies.
In their last encounter Keyleth spoke up against the dragon, the druid keeping her anger in check and mentioning her hope that during her very long lifetime she does not become like her, and she even gave Raishan a chance to surrender and be brought to justice, a far outcry from their first proper encounter in Whitestone weeks before. Raishan refused the offer and instead attempted to kill or enslave them all, but her overconfidence and arrogance became her undoing as Keyleth effectively neutralized her with Feeblemind, destroying her very identity and intellect.
Character Information Edit
- 520 hit point maximum
- +14 constitution save modifier
- Minor Illusion
- Melf's Acid Arrow
- Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
- Meteor Swarm
Notable Items Edit
Unknown scroll; cast a spell that looked similar to Speak with Dead (used on Thordak's corpse)
- As revealed by Matthew Mercer during the Fireside Chat, Raishan's plan had she not been interrupted was to obtain the cure from Thordak using "Speak with Dead". She then would have left with Thordak's eggs and corpse (likely to reanimate it as a dracolich). She would have left Tal'Dorei and established a new lair on another continent (thus, becoming a threat for any future campaign).
- Raishan was the third member of the Chroma Conclave encountered by Vox Machina (the first being Brimscythe, whom they slew before the Critical Role stream, and the second being Thordak, from whom they hid while in the Elemental Plane of Fire in "Aramente to Pyrah" (1x22)).
- Raishan survived the episode that shares her name ("Raishan" (1x80)), whereas Umbrasyl, Vorugal, and Thordak were all killed in their respective episodes ("Umbrasyl" (1x55), "Vorugal" (1x71), and "Thordak" (1x79)).
- Raishan caused more deaths among the members of Vox Machina than any other enemy. She was responsible for the deaths of Vex and Scanlan in "Raishan" (1x80), and of Percy and Scanlan (again) in "The Deceiver's Stand" (1x83).
- Interestingly, in both instances, Raishan killed Scanlan and a member of the de Rolo family (though, granted, Vex and Percy were not married at this time).
- Raishan is the only member of the Chroma Conclave to have been defeated by a guest character [Kerrek]; her four colleagues were killed by members of Vox Machina: Vax'ildan (Brimscythe and Thordak), Vex'ahlia (Vorugal), and Grog (Umbrasyl).
- ↑ Spelling of "Raishan" confirmed by Matthew Mercer on Twitter.
- ↑ See "Trust" (1x70).
- ↑ See "The Siege of Emon" (1x78).
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 1:42:54.
- ↑ See "The Deceiver's Stand" (1x83).
- ↑ See "The Deceiver's Stand" (1x83) at 2:49:49.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80).
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 1:00:45.
- ↑ At the time of Raishan's death, her Intelligence and Charisma had both been reduced to 1 as a result of Keyleth's Feeblemind spell. See "The Deceiver's Stand" (1x83).
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) from 50:00 through 50:52.
- ↑ Matthew Mercer confirmed that Raishan would have been with the Fire Ashari during "Aramente to Pyrah" (1x22). (source)
- ↑ See "The Family Business" (1x47) from 47:31 through 49:32.
- ↑ See "Omens" (1x39) at 3:51:34.
- ↑ See "Desperate Measures" (1x40) at 1:13:18.
- ↑ See "Desperate Measures" (1x40) at 2:47:53.
- ↑ See "The Frigid Doom" (1x64) at 0:29:05.
- ↑ See "Passed Through Fire" (1x69).
- ↑ See "What Lies Beneath the Surface" (1x81) from 1:46:15 through 1:49:06.
- ↑ See "Trust" (1x70) from 0:12:13 through 1:00:27.
- ↑ See "The Deceiver's Stand" (1x83) from 1:26:56 through 1:27:11.
- ↑ See "Trust" (1x70) at 0:47:49.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 2:18:38.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 0:52:52.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) from 1:44:29 through 1:45:46.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 1:43:34.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (1x71) at 3:20:24.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (1x71) at 3:20:07.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 0:17:23.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 2:12:56.
- ↑ See "The Coming Storm" (1x73) at 0:24:12.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (1x71) at 2:59:16.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) at 1:36:43.
- ↑ See "The Coming Storm" (1x73) at 1:46:55.
- ↑ See "Vorugal" (1x71) at 4:42:29.
- ↑ See "Raishan" (1x80) from 0:59:43 through 1:01:27.
- ↑ See "Thordak" (1x79).
- ↑ Fan art of Raishan, by Joma Cueto (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of the Chroma Conclave's assault on Emon in "Omens" (1x39), by Thomas Brin (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Kerrek landing a killing blow on Raishan, by Viktor Engholm (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Keyleth and Raishan, by Allison Huey (source). Used with permission.
Pre-Stream: Origins Chapter 1: Underdark Chapter 2: Othanzia Chapter 3:
The Briarwoods Allies Other Chapter 4:
The Chroma Conclave
Members Allies Other Chapter 5: Chapter 6: Chapter 7: Chapter 8: Chapter 9: Chapter 10: Chapter 11: Chapter 12:Ashari Air Ashari Home Members Earth Ashari Home Members Fire Ashari Home Members Water Ashari Home MembersUvenda (headmaster)