- 1 Material Plane
- 2 Echo Planes
- 3 Inner Planes
- 4 Transitive Planes
- 5 Outer Planes
- 6 Far Realm
- 7 Demiplanes
- 8 The Cosmos
- 9 References
- → Main article: Material Plane.
The Echo Planes are layered on top of the Material Plane just out of phase like a strange reflection. These echoes have similar geography and landmarks as the Material Plane but are changed or twisted.
- → Main article: Feywild.
- → Main article: Shadowfell.
The Shadowfell is a plane of negative energy, and elements of it are used to funnel the transition of souls from life to death or back.
The further one gets in an elemental plane away from the Prime Material, the less habitable it becomes as it approaches the Elemental Chaos that surrounds all the Inner Planes.
The Elemental Planes
The elemental planes are a group of planes based on the common elements.
- The Elemental Plane of Fire
- The Elemental Plane of Water
- The Elemental Plane of Air
- The Elemental Plane of Earth
- The Frostfell
Transitive Planes are planes that connect other planes together, or are used as a means of travel between points on a single plane.
The Ethereal Plane
- → Main article: Ethereal Plane.
The Astral Plane
- → Main article: Astral Plane.
It is one of the boundary planes that lie between many of the other realms. It is an amorphous realm where the will and the imagination have influence over the surrounding space, where one can will oneself to float and move. Zehir, the Cloaked Serpent and his nemesis Erathis, the Law Bearer both reside in the Astral Plane.
The Outer Planes are where the divine exist.
- → Main article: Abyss.
The Abyss is an infinite plane of chaos and evil dreamed into existence by Tharizdun. Without strict hierarchy, the Abyss is chaotic and unorganized.
- → Main article: Fields of Elysium.
- → Main article: Endless Athenaeum.
The Endless Athenaeum is a secret realm in an undisclosed plane. It is an embodiment of the goddess Ioun, the Knowing Mistress.
- → Main article: Mount Celestia.
The Seven Heavens of Mount Celestia embody the alignment of lawful good.
The Nine Hells
- → Main article: Nine Hells.
- → Main article: Pandemonium.
Pandemonium is a plane of madness.
- → Main article: Far Realm.
The Far Realm is a plane of madness situated very far from the planes.
Demiplanes are extradimensional spaces with their own unique rules. Demiplanes can exist naturally and they can be created through spells or through the desire of a powerful force like a deity.
The Divine Gate is an esoteric, non-Euclidean structure that is a barrier between the Prime Material Plane and everything else, preventing the gods of Exandria, both good and evil, from physically crossing into the Prime Material Plane. The Gate was made by the Prime Deities after the Calamity to better protect mortals from the influence of the Betrayer Gods in the event known as the Divergence.
Planerider Ryn's notes (found by the Mighty Nein while in the Elemental Plane of Fire) indicated she had noticed a slow shift in the structure between the planes, and a possible sudden shift in the cosmic tapestry down the road, potentially remaking the cosmos.
- See "Hope" (1x56) at 3:47:28.
- See "Thar Amphala" (1x101) at 2:01:13.
- See "The Stowaway" (2x45) at 2:26:34.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 10.
- See "The Stowaway" (2x45) at 2:26:34.
- See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:11:47.
- See "The Ruined Sliver" (2x104) at 0:46:16.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 22 and 29.
- See "The Stowaway" (2x45) at 2:27:19.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 23.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 29.
- See D&D: Dungeon Master's Guide, 5th ed., p. 58.
- See "The Fate-Touched" (1x103) from 2:38:31 through 2:39:34.
- See "The Search For Bob" (Sx45) at 2:01:55.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 25.
- See "Explorer's Guide to Wildemount Q&A and Fireside Chat with Matthew Mercer" (Sx53) at 1:03:33.
- See "Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) at 3:02:34.