Veth Brenatto (née Smyth), formerly known as Nott the Brave, is a halfling (formerly goblin) rogue. She is played by Sam Riegel.
As a goblin, Nott had green skin, green hair, and yellow eyes. Her clothes were not in great condition, much like her traveling companion, Caleb. She hid her face with a hood and a porcelain mask. Nott was three feet tall. In "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84), she got an aquamarine tattoo highlighting her eyes and temples.
Originally, Nott was a halfling woman named Veth Brenatto, who had a plump face, dark skin, and braided hair.  In "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97), Nott regained her halfling form and began using her original name, Veth Brenatto, though she retained the piercings and tattoos she acquired as Nott.
Personality EditNott hid in the shadows a lot because she knew goblins were not welcome in the Dwendalian Empire, especially around her home town of Felderwin, where goblins frequently raided.. She was described as "jumpy" and got nervous very easily. Nott had kleptomaniacal tendencies that she tempered by drinking alcohol. Nott has an intense fear and hatred of water, having previously been drowned to death as Veth by goblins. Nott dislikes dogs and clarifies that she did not have a craving to consume the flesh of human children.
Nott's normally eccentric behavior is suppressed when the lives of her friends are in danger. The personality of Veth the halfling was twisted to be more extreme when she was Nott the goblin. Veth liked to collect things; Nott was a kleptomaniac. Veth enjoyed wine every now and then; Nott was an alcoholic.
Nott was slow to trust and often greeted new people by threatening them or lying about her name. Once she grew to care about someone, Nott had strong maternal instincts. She was very protective of Caleb, and demonstrated a caring attitude to many members of the party. Nott was very invested in keeping the Mighty Nein together and making sure everyone feels like an important part of the team.
Despite insisting she is not brave, Nott put herself in danger several times to save the lives of her friends or help them achieve their goals. She also came along on two underwater dives to help Fjord despite her fear of water.
When Nott was drinking and inebriated she was immune to fear, unlike her more cautious and fearful sober self. She stated several times that she believes she needs to drink to be effective in battles.
Nott said several times that she dislikes and mistrusts goblins, seemingly due to both her upbringing and the suffering she and her family underwent at the hands of the goblin clan near Felderwin. One of her desires for Caleb becoming stronger was so that he could "change" her. This seemed to suggest she suffered from a form of dysmorphia or a strong self-loathing, and it was later confirmed the reason for this was that she had previously been a halfling woman, transformed into a goblin against her will. She believed that Caleb could one day become powerful enough to determine the nature of her "condition" and change her back, hence her desire for him to grow stronger. In "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97), her dream became reality when Caleb was able to cast a Transmogrification spell to transform her back into a halfling, and she was able to reunite with her husband and son.
Nott was born a halfling, Veth Smyth, in the town of Felderwin. Growing up, she was often ridiculed for her peculiarities, which made it difficult for her to fit in. She later met a halfling man named Yeza Brenatto through a game of truth or dare, and eventually they fell in love. They were later married and had a son, Luc. About three and a half years after Luc's birth, the family was kidnapped by a local goblin clan. After being held there for weeks, Veth helped her family to escape, letting her son and husband run ahead while luring their captors away. She was cornered by the goblins and threw a vial of acid in their leader's face, killing him. The goblins recaptured Veth and the wife of the deceased leader took her to an old spellcaster Isharnai, with instructions to "make her suffer." The spellcaster drowned Veth in a river, and though Nott believes that she died, she later awoke as a goblin.
Nott was bounced around many different jobs in the goblin clan, eventually becoming the torturer's assistant. She admitted that once, she accidentally ate part of a human baby that had been mixed into a goulash. Under unknown circumstances, she escaped and eventually wound up in jail for stealing cherry wine; it was here that she met Caleb. Caleb used Frumpkin to bring a piece of wire into their cell, which Nott used to pick the lock. Caleb proceeded to set the jail on fire and scream for help. The guards promptly fled, and Caleb and Nott walked out of the jail together. The two traveled together for awhile, at first out of convenience, but then out of genuine friendship.
Nott apparently saved Caleb's life before they met the rest of the group.
Chapter 9 Edit
"Zemnian Nights" (2x11) Edit
Fjord and Molly set up a trap to see why Nott was rifling through Fjord's things and trying to get his letter to the Soltryce Academy. While charmed by Molly, Nott revealed her desire to give the letter to Caleb so that he could fulfill his potential of becoming a very powerful wizard. She said that the rest of the Mighty Nein would not be able to help her. She expressed her fears of being discovered by the many dangers they would likely run into on their travels north, and that she needed Caleb to live so that he could protect, save, and ultimately change her form from that of a goblin.
Chapter 10 Edit
"A Favor in Kind" (2x16) Edit
Disguising herself as a normal little halfling girl, Nott spent an hour at a cafe just having lunch and being what she considered to be a normal person.
Nott paid 5gp to send a package to someone in Felderwin containing a note, 50gp, a bunch of buttons, all the rings she had, a door knob, a brass baby bottle, all of her ball bearings, and the two bracelets she had.
"Commerce & Chaos" (2x31)Edit
Nott spent the two weeks of down time in Zadash mostly shopping and crafting. She sent another package of trinkets and 100 gold pieces to an unknown location along with a note. She took apart the gun she stole from Hupperdook to figure out how the explosion is created. She attempted to use this knowledge to create explosive arrows. She managed to create one after multiple failed attempts. Nott also commissioned a pair of human skin colored gloves with fingernails embroidered on them.
Nott enlisted Jester's help in forging a letter to the Soltryce Academy. They wrote a letter from a fake law firm (Nott & Brave) claiming to be looking for one of their students named Astrid because she had inherited money. Nott asked Jester not to tell Caleb about the letter. Nott believed Astrid was someone from Caleb's past who could help remember good times, but worried if he knew about the letter he would get upset. Jester promised not to tell Caleb and told Nott that Caleb had drunkenly called her "Astrid" while they were dancing in Hupperdook.
"O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36)Edit
Caleb, Jester, and Nott interrogated Gallan Westman, the only surviving member of The Mist crew. When Gallan said he was not important and did not know very much, Nott tried to cheer him up by pointing out he was the only survivor of a "brutal attack." Gallan felt better until Nott mentioned the axe that had been in his head. Nott appointed him first mate, since he is only one on board who knows how to sail besides Fjord.
Caleb and Nott took the first watch that evening and talked about the previous day's events. Neither of them feel good about the way the day went. However, they were both more concerned that the rest of the members of the Mighty Nein seem unsettled. Caleb referred to the Mighty Nein as their new family and suggested they make an effort to try and boost morale. Nott agreed, telling Caleb to fake a heart attack so the group can bond over "saving" him. Caleb apologized to Nott for casting Suggestion on her to make her swim. Nott said it was ok, but please warn her in the future if he's going to do that again.
During their watch one night at sea, Caduceus asked Nott why she has been making extremely obvious attempts to cheer up him and include him. Nott told him many of the team, not her, were outcasts before they banded together. Now that they're traveling doing (mostly) good things, they rely on each other. Nott has been trying to keep the group together. Caduceus told her he's on board with the Mighty Nein, for now. Nott asked Caduceus to stick close to Caleb and heal him once they get to the island. Nott said her time with the Mighty Nein has seemed like a sign to her even though she is not religious. She thinks it means there could be another chapter for all of them. Caduceus seemed surprised and says he thought he had Nott figured out.
The next night, The Mistake fought off an attack by harpies. Caleb followed through on the plan to fake a heart attack right after the harpies were all gone. Caleb dropped the ruse after Jester fell for it and started to actually blow air into his lungs. Nott continued the ruse, saying the power of friendship healed Caleb. The group did not seem to be fooled. Fjord sarcastically asked how they can further prevent further "heart episodes". Nott responded they need only more friendship. When The Mistake was damaged going through the reef, Nott hid in the crow's nest as far away from the water as possible.
"Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37)Edit
"A Hole In the Plan" (2x42)Edit
Jester and Nott break into Avantika's quarters on the Squall Eater and steal her journal and some jewels. They escape without being seen but set off several traps and leave a hole in the floor, tipping Avantika off that someone had broken in.
"Homeward Bound" (2x48)Edit
The Mighty Nein sailed back to Nicodranas. Nott was excited to get access to Tidepeak and for Caleb to meet Yussa Errenis. They decided to travel next to Felderwin so Nott could check in on her halfling friend Yeza (the halfling she helped escape from her own goblin clan).
Arriving in Felderwin, they discovered his business and home, Brenatto Apothecary, was burned down during the Kryn Dynasty attack. Two Crownsguard told Nott that Yeza has not been seen since the attack, but they had not found a body. Yeza's son Luc survived and was now staying with a woman named Old Edith. The Mighty Nein searched the ruins of the apothecary, forcing open the magically locked basement door. There seemed to have been a struggle in the basement room. Several pieces of furniture were destroyed and there were blade marks on the walls. Nott picked the lock on an iron chest in the corner of the room, and found inside a retractable silver tripod, a vial of a strange grey substance that appeared to be between liquid and gas, and several pages of notes that were mostly burned.
Only two pages were still legible. The notes described experiments with a "dumanis field" causing large areas around the laboratory where people felt sometimes sluggish and sometimes moved mysteriously faster. Intelligence from captured Kryn Dynasty operatives indicated that they had been experimenting with Dunamancy and its ability to manipulate gravity, entropy, and time. Cerberus Assembly researchers had distilled one vial of dunamis and hoped to use Yeza to make more. The notes said that Trent Ikithon (Caleb's former teacher) had some pupils that showed signs of being able to use Dunamnacy.
Nott turned on Caleb, saying it was "your people" that were doing experiments and hurt his friend. Beau and Caleb tried to subtly signal Nott to stop talking because Caleb had not shared that he had a previous connection to Trent Ikithon with anyone except them. Nott angrily yelled "fuck him!" and said she had to go see Edith. Caleb threw up in the middle of the room. Caduceus comforted Caleb, telling him Nott's anger was not about him.
After cleaning up, the Mighty Nein left the basement and walked to Old Edith's house. Nott cast Disguise Self to look like a halfling woman before knocking on the door. When Edith opened the door, Nott immediately asked for her son. Edith looked surprised to see Nott's halfling disguise and told her she was presumed dead. Edith brought a halfling boy to the door. Luc Brenatto recognized Nott's disguised form as his mother but was confused since his father had told Luc that goblins killed his mother. When Nott asked if Luc had been getting the packages she sent, Luc said he had been getting presents but did not know who they were from. When the soldiers from Xhorhas had attacked, Yeza told Luc to hide. He ran to Old Edith. Luc told Nott "don't die" before going back inside the house.
Nott gave Edith two hundred gold to help her take care of Luc. Edith addressed Nott as "Veth" and tells her that Luc was a good boy. As the Mighty Nein began to think about what to do, they noticed Vess DeRogna and Ludinus Da'leth walking towards the ruins of the apothecary.
"A Game of Names" (2x49)Edit
After hiding from Vess DeRogna and Ludinus Da'leth, Nott told the Mighty Nein about herself and her son. Nott was born a halfling woman named Veth. She was always strange and bullied by her brothers growing up. One day, her brothers dared a boy to kiss her, but he seemed to like it. Veth and the boy, Yeza Brenatto, grew close and eventually got married. They had a son named Luc.
Goblins raided Felderwin and captured the Brenatto family. Veth distracted some of the goblins to give Luc and Yeza a chance to escape. They were able to escape, but goblins caught up to Veth. She threw a vial of acid at one of them, who turned out to be a chief. The goblins took Veth to an unknown magic woman who wore a hood. The wife of the goblin chief told the magic woman to make Veth suffer. The goblins drowned her in a river. When Veth woke up, she was the goblin the Mighty Nein know as Nott.
After about a year of living with the goblin clan, Nott ran away. Since escaping she has been sending notes and packages to Luc and Yeza ("Commerce & Chaos" (2x31), ); but she was always unsure if they believed the packages were real. Nott was unsure what her family would think of her if they knew she was now a goblin. The thought scared her. She agreed to let Caduceus cast Lesser Restoration on her to clear the alcohol from her system and think more clearly about what to do next. The Mighty Nein decided the safest option is for Edith and Luc to go to Alfield, where Bryce Feelid can keep an eye on them.
Nott apologized to Caleb for getting angry. After moving to a more secure location, Caleb revealed that he was born with a different name as well. His birth name was Bren Aldric Ermendrud. He shared with the rest of the party that he was once training with the Cerberus Assembly (something only Beau and Nott had known before). Caleb told the party that he lost his mind during the training and ran away. Since then he had been giving everyone he meets false names to avoid being found by the Assembly.
The next morning, the Mighty Nein learned through Caduceus casting Divination that Yeza was heading towards Ghor Dranas - the capital of the Kryn Dynasty in Xhorhas. After seeing Edith and Luc off on their journey to Alfield with an armed escort, the party investigated the tunnel the Kryn soldiers used to invade. Jester used Polymorph to transform into a giant honey badger and burrow through the collapsed section. The Mighty Nein set off on the long journey to Xhorhas.
"The Endless Burrows" (2x50)Edit
The Mighty Nein decided to go through the tunnels in order to potentially find Yeza. While in the tunnels, the group encountered two fire giants and a river of lava. Nott bravely walked across the river to reach the other side, but fell unconscious on the way over. Beau jumped in and helped her get across safely.
The group managed to find their way through the tunnels until they reached Xhorhas, where they were attacked by a pack of gnolls and some Kyrn soldiers.
"Feral Business" (2x52)Edit
The Mighty Nein entered Asarius to look for faster transport to Ghor Dranas. When Sunbreaker Olomon approached the party, Nott was very attracted to him and asked him if there was a "Mrs. Sunbreaker".
Nott negotiated the deal with Zorth to purchase moorbounders at a discount in exchange for killing a creature that has moved into one of the subterranean nests where he breeds the moorbounders. Nott convinced Zorth that a tiny statue of a penis made with Jester's magical paint was actually the petrified penis of a tiny human. Zorth agreed to sell three moorbounders for six hundred gold and the "tiny dick" after the basement was clear. The Mighty Nein found that the creature in the nest was actually multiple demonic dog-like creatures that had come through a portal to the Abyss in the basement.
After killing the creatures and closing the portal, the Mighty Nein took Zorth's suggestion to inform Lady Zethris Olios (one of the Kryn Dynasty leaders in the city) of the portal. Jester and Nott, the "detectives", met with her. They introduced themselves as an investigative team and launched into a rambling explanation (with a little bit of innuendo) of the rift to the Abyss. When Lady Olios asked their for their specialities, Jester and Nott rambled again and cut each other off (briefly mentioning Jester's tattooing and Nott's drinking). However their explanation of closing the rift convinced her that they could be helpful.
Lady Olios offered them two potential jobs- find a Dwendalian Empire spy suspected to be sending messages from the Four Corners or find the source of the rifts. She will pay coin for both jobs. She is also willing to offer a favor with the Bright Queen instead of coin if they find the source of the rifts.
Discussing their options with the rest of the party, Nott wanted to leave right away now that they have moorbounders, but thought that having a favor from someone high up in the Kryn Dynasty would make freeing Yeza easier. The party headed outside of Asarius to rest and decide in the morning.
"Dark Bargains" (2x83) While exploring the Dreadnought chamber, Caleb discovered several unfinished equations for a more permanent transformation of oneself, as well as the gem that Halas's soul was trapped in. When talking to the gem, Nott expressed her excitement about changing herself using magic.
"Stone to Clay" (2x91) Caleb, Nott and Essek completed the spell that could transform Nott back into her original form. The spell ultimately failed, and it was revealed that Nott had a continuing curse placed on her that prevented the transformation.
"Home is Where the Heart Is" (2x92) The Mighty Nein sought out Isharnai in order to remove the curse she had placed on Nott. Jester used the Dust of Deliciousness and a Modify Memory spell to convince the hag to release the curse.
Chapter 17 Edit
"Devoutness and Dicks" (2x107) The night before TravelerCon, Veth wandered over to talk to Vilya, who was sitting alone at one of the tables. Veth reminded her she had a child that she must be missing, and while Vilya agreed, she was nervous to return. Veth sympathized. She herself was still not sure if she belonged at home or out in the world, but you can't delay forever. At some point, you have to go home. Vilya thanked Veth, before using Transport Via Plants to return to her home among the Ashari.
Nott thinks Beau is a cool secret agent since she revealed herself as a monk of The Cobalt Soul. The two of them have bonded mostly through their mutual friendships with Caleb. Nott seems to have little to no faith in Beau's people skills, but seems impressed by her fighting abilities.
In Nott's previous life as Veth the halfling, she and her husband Yeza had a son named Luc. Veth loved Luc and was very proud of him. She was willing to sacrifice her life to save Luc when goblins captured them.
When she became Nott the goblin, she still cared for Luc and sent him presents. Luc was not aware of who the presents were from. Luc was confused when his mother appeared at Old Edith's (Nott used Disguise Self to look like Veth when she talked to him) since Yeza had told him she was dead. He did not seem to trust her or be happy to see her. Nott was terrified that Luc would find out she was a goblin.
Luc blossomed when reunited with his father in Nicodranas, and Nott came to visit them there several times, always using Disguise Self to maintain her former halfling appearance for Luc and rebuild her relationship with him. By the time of her transformation back into her halfling form, they were warm and loving again. Luc admired his mother, adored her crossbow, and thought that she was pretty badass for her exploits. Veth bought him a toy crossbow to practice with.
In Nott's previous life as Veth the halfling, she and Yeza got married and had a son named Luc. Veth helped Yeza run Brenatto Apothecary. She learned how to use alchemist's tools from him. Veth was willing to sacrifice her life to save Yeza when goblins captured them. She admires Yeza's mind, describing him as brilliant.
When she became Nott the goblin, she sent letters, gifts, and money to Yeza, anonymously at first and later signed as Veth. Nott had not told Yeza that she was a goblin, afraid of what he would think of her. However, when Yeza was kidnapped by the Kryn Dynasty, Nott unhesitatingly went after him, with the rest of the Mighty Nein, on what seemed like a suicide mission.
When Yeza and Nott met in the prison beneath Rosohna, Nott was apprehensive about revealing her new identity. Using Disguise Self, she hesitantly and gradually showed her husband her new goblinoid form. Defying Nott's expectations and fears, Yeza proclaimed his love and acceptance of her, saying that all that mattered was that she was still her.
After completing the transformation in "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97), Yeza and Veth celebrated with each other, now a complete family once more.
Nott was initially suspicious of Caduceus, wondering what he wanted in return for helping them with the Iron Shepherds. However, she has become more welcoming towards him, especially when he was having a mental breakdown after their fight in Nicodranas. Caduceus was also accidentally killed by one of Nott's explosive arrows under the well in Asarius.
Nott had been supportive of Fjord's desire to learn more about his patron despite her fear of water. Fjord and Nott also like to make fun of each other. Fjord jokingly told Nott a story about a ship full of buttons that sank so she would feel better about going underwater in the Diver's Grave. Nott later retaliated by telling Fjord that in Xhorhas, there are thousands of eye shaped balls he can swallow. There is tension in their relationship caused by Nott's belief that Caleb is the group's "leader" and she views Fjord's tendency to take charge as challenging that.
Nott has eaten Frumpkin twice.
The Traveler, while mainly interacting with Jester, has had one slight encounter with Nott as well. In the battle under the Cathedral in Rexxentrum, a green hand was seen guiding Nott's crossbow and helping her aim. Jester also created a holy symbol of the Traveler for Nott, hoping that she would become one of his followers.
Jester and Nott quickly took a liking to each other. Jester offered to help Nott steal things, and encouraged Nott to try to pickpocket her. Later, they teamed up while investigating the carnival. Jester and Nott decided they were amazing investigators and should form a "detective agency". The two of them have "investigated" together several times with mixed results.
Jester and Nott have worked together on multiple acts of trickery and creating chaos, notably almost getting arrested in Zadash for vandalizing the temple of The Platinum Dragon. Jester was the only member of the Mighty Nein Nott asked to help in trying to reunite Astrid and Caleb. The two of them composed a letter from a fake law firm (Nott & Brave) claiming they were looking for Astrid because she had inherited money. Nott asked Jester not to tell Caleb because he might get upset but told Jester that this might help Caleb remember happier times. Jester agreed not to tell Caleb and kept that promise.
Nott is the only member of the Mighty Nein who knows that Fjord was Jester's first kiss. Nott has awkwardly and obviously tried to set up situations for Fjord and Jester to be alone together since finding this out.
Nott commented on Yasha's size, possibly intimidated by it. Later, she gave her flowers in the hopes that the large woman would not kill her. Nott and Yasha bonded over being the only two members of the Nein to enjoy eating rats, though Nott prefers hers raw instead of cooked, which is Yasha's preference.
Nott was very suspicious of Yasha after she had fallen under Obann's control, believing that she might have been evil the whole time.
Caleb was Nott's traveling companion before they encountered the rest of the Mighty Nein. The day before they joined the party (and the stream began), Nott saved Caleb's life when he was knocked unconscious by a band of gnolls. The two are very protective of each other. Even after joining the Mighty Nein, Nott still considered herself and Caleb separate from the rest of the group for a long time. She was prepared for the two of them to go off alone if Caleb wanted to. By the time the Iron Shepherds kidnapped Jester, Fjord, and Yasha, Caleb and Nott both cared enough for their friends that they were no longer concerned with finishing the job for The Gentleman. The two of them now think of the whole group as their new family.
Nott and Caleb apparently had a number of practiced cons that they engaged in to procure coin. After coming under scrutiny for the incident at the carnival, Caleb asked Nott to refrain from any cons for the time being. Some of the ones that have been mentioned are The Money Pot, Rat Food, Prince and the Pauper, Spider Eyes, Mother's Love, Enemy of my Enemy, and Modern Literature.
Caleb saw Nott as his best friend and a younger sister figure. In the beginning of the campaign, Nott said she saw her relationship with Caleb as that of a parent and child, with herself being the parent of Caleb; however, this wasn't known to him. She said that she was protecting Caleb because she saw potential in his magic abilities, wanting him to become powerful enough to revert her back into her natural halfling form. Nott encouraged and praised Caleb every time he got a new spell. She often put her life at risk to help Caleb acquire magical books and items.
Eventually, Nott revealed her background as a halfling and asked Caleb for his help in becoming one again. Caleb responded that he would do everything he could to help Nott, though he acknowledged that he needed time and study for it to work. Nott was sorry for not telling Caleb the truth about her past life earlier. She kept it a secret because she did not want to distract Caleb from his path. She forgave Caleb for lying about his name and his past when they first met. She understood why he did it, because she did the same thing herself.
Once Nott and Yeza Brenatto were reunited, Caleb seemed to be rather lost for a while, finally admitting his jealousy to Beau in the King's Cage. Nott revealed that she had a crush on Caleb while they were in jail at the beginning of their time together in a conversation with Beau. While she stated that this crush was only until she got to know Caleb, she referred to the reasons for this crush in present tense.
After much study, Caleb was able to master some of Halas's notes found in the Happy Fun Ball. With the aid of Essek Thelyss and Nott herself, he created Widogast's Transmogrification, which was able to restore Nott from a goblin into Veth Brenatto, a young halfling woman. Before Caleb attempted the ritual for the first time, Nott kissed him. The spell was thwarted by Isharnai's curse, but after the curse was lifted, Caleb was able to cast the spell once again. Just before the successful ritual, Nott expressed her gratitude for him, calling him "the second love of [her] life"; Caleb responded, "I love you too, Veth the Brave."
Nott immediately had a crush on the massive, muscular minotaur. She thought he was "fucking hot", and asked him if there was a "Mrs. Sunbreaker".
Nott has something belonging to Doolan Tversky. When asked about her relation to them, Nott said that they would not recognize her name if it came up.
Character Information Edit
Notable Items Edit
- Small Vase
- Plain Flask (reacquired)
- Ring of Water Walking
- Beau's jade bracelet
- The Tinkertop Bolt Blaster 1000™ (given to her by Cleff Tinkertop as a reward for destroying the Gear Warden)
- A pistol (stolen from a guard in Hupperdook)
- A medallion given to her by Keg
- Human-skin colored gloves (with fingernails)
- Cloak of Elvenkind (a gift from Caduceus and Jester)
- Golden cobra statue
- Glamoured studded leather
- Thieves' tools
- Tinkers' tools
- Holy symbol of the Traveler (given to her by Jester)
- Two ounces of Sovereign Glue
- Dwarven crossbow bolts (from Vokodo's lair)
- Dagger of Denial
Posted Items (to Yeza) Edit
- First set
- Written Note
- Brass Baby Bottle
- Brass Door Knob
- Ball Bearings
- Two Bracelets
- Blouse Buttons
- 50 gold
- Second set
- 1g (inflated) worth of:
Baubles, Trinkets, Buttons, Ribbons, String, Beads and 1 Crescent Ornament
- Written Note
- 100 Gold
- 1g (inflated) worth of:
A rat in a cage; given to the inn to be cooked
Hand Crossbow(broken in the battle against the Gear Warden)
Brass Baby Bottle(stolen from a shop in Trostenwald)
Brass Door Knob
Two Blouse Buttons(stolen from a lady)
Two Wooden Swords(won during the Harvest Close Festival, traded to Beau)
Crude doll of Bertrand Dwendal (given to her and Yeza's son, Luc)
Scroll of Invisibility(obtained from Calianna, gifted to Caleb)
Keg of black powder(stolen from the Squall Eater cargo hold, used for Fluffernutter on Urukayxl)
One Explosive Arrow
Jade statue(given to Caleb for spell components)
Nott's Mask(given to Yeza to start a mask collection)
Powdered residuum worth 700 gp(given to Jester and Caduceus for casting Greater Restoration)
Handmade depth charge(used in blowing up the Fiona)
Flask of Perpetual Booze(a platinum flask enchanted by Pumat Sol to have endless alcohol)
- Inebriation (when severely intoxicated, has disadvantage on Dexterity, Intelligence, and Perception ability checks, but is immune to the Frightened condition)
Goblin Abilities Edit
Halfling Abilities Edit
Rogue Abilities Edit
- Cunning Action
- Expertise (Investigation, Thieves' Tools, Sleight of Hand, Stealth)
- Reliable Talent
- Roguish Archetype: Arcane Trickster
- Mage Hand Legerdemain
- Magical Ambush
- Sneak Attack (6d6)
- Thieves' Cant
- Uncanny Dodge
Wizard Spells Edit
As a 13th-level Arcane Trickster, Nott knows four wizard cantrips and nine spells from 1st- to 3rd-level, all from the wizard spell list. She can replace the spells she knows when she gains a level.
- Hypnotic Pattern (based on material components, unconfirmed)
Unknown level Edit
- "I LOVE TRINKETS SO MUCH!" (a not-at-all ironic quote in-character as Nott)
- "This is fine." (said while inside a burning building)
- "I'll be part of this Fjord Expedition." (a pun on Fjord's name and a model of car by Ford Motor Company)
- "Are we Fjord Explorers or Fjord Escapes?"
- "He can protect me."(Nott under a charm talking about Caleb.)
- "You can reply to this message."
- "There’s a bit of a misconception here. Caleb and I have a very special relationship. It is that of a parent and a child. But I am the parent. You do understand that, correct? I protect him. He’s my boy. And I keep him safe. I want him to thrive and get better and better and more powerful and stronger. Because he can achieve great things. When I found him, he was nothing. He was a scared little boy in the corner of a jail cell. And as we have gotten [sigh] more comfortable, he has gotten more comfortable and come out of his shell. It’s my job to protect him because I love him, and I am his protector. Not because he protects me."
- "I’m so sorry, it wasn’t you, it’s not your fault. It wasn’t you, you were made to do it. It’s not your fault, it’s not your fault. I know you don’t realize that now, but you will. This pain that you have that you wear all over you like a mask, it’s just that and you can take it off someday. I know it hurts but it wasn’t your fault. And I’m just gonna keep telling you that until you believe me...What you did was awful, truly terrible, despicable and unforgivable. Until you can forgive it. At some point, you’ll have to do that. And I swear to you that I will be at your side until you do." (to Caleb)
- "I am the greatest detective of all times! I poured one drink, and I solved the case!"
- Nott: "I have to bare my teeth at everyone! Look at these things- they're huge!"
Keg: "You have no choice?"
Nott: "No! I have very thin lips, very long teeth, some would call them fangs. It's not my fault. When I smile it looks like I'm trying to bite your throat off." 
- "Molly said not to steal from happy people." (response to being asked if she wanted something from Molly’s corpse)
- "Do you know Pumat Sol?" (asked of every Firbolg she's met)
- "Are you saying to me that we made a mistake?" (asked to Jester after a plan that went disastrously wrong)
- Nott: "I'm not a religious lady. But I will tell you that, for me, this journey with this group has been a bit of a sign. And I know that you're questioning whether it was for you, but-"
Caduceus: "What kind of sign?"
Nott: "A sign that there could be, for all of us, another chapter."
Caduceus: "Wow. I thought I had you figured out. Never mind. All right."
Nott: "I'm gonna drink now." 
- "Chemistry's good, baby, but killin' is better."
- "Every one of us has left without saying goodbye to someone in our lives."
- Veth: Is there - are there preparations that we need to make, like ... you know, like a code word or anything? Or should we - should I bring a bomb in case things go awry?
Jester: Ooo, good call.
Caduceus : Really?
Fjord :Do you have a bomb just sitting around?
Jester: Yeah, a bomb's always good to have, you know around, just in case.
Veth: I have a bomb, yes.
- Nott has the lowest charisma of any player character so far.
- Nott is the second player character in the main campaign to be an opposite sex of their player, and the first such character to be a regular party member in an ongoing campaign. The first was Shale. There have been two others since then, Calianna in Campaign 2 and Lieve'tel in the Search for Grog one shot.
- "Nott" is also the name of the Norse goddess of night and the grandmother of Thor.
- "Nott the Brave" is an anagram for "Veth Brenatto," Nott's former name.
- Nott is a kleptomaniac. Her statement that she just loves "trinkets" is an inside joke about Trinket, Vex'ahlia's bear companion from The Campaign of Vox Machina, toward whom Sam Riegel and his previous character Scanlan Shorthalt were frequently disdainful.
- Nott estimated her age between 6 and 9 years. By goblin standards, she said that this makes her "almost grown" and "of childbearing age". Since goblins reach maturity at age 8, this would indicate that Nott is around 9 years old.
- As with Scanlan's initial age, this may be a 69 joke on Sam's part.
- Nott weighs 45 pounds.
- Nott only has four fingers on each hand.
- One of her and Caleb's cons, Modern Literature, involves Nott shooting a book located underneath Caleb's armpit (that only she knows is there) and Caleb playing dead.
- Nott's favorite whiskey is "the type that gets [her] good and drunk."
- During a nighttime conversation with Keg, Nott claimed that she was a pretty good dancer. Nott later revealed that she was in fact only an average dancer.
- Sam's introductory description of Nott referred to her as a "little goblin girl," while his previous character Taryon Darrington initially referred to Vax'ildan and Vex'ahlia as "little elf boy" and "little elf girl," respectively. Deborah Ann Woll would use a similar introductory description for her character Twiggy, who shares Nott's class and subclass.
- According to Sam, the spell used to transform Veth into Nott was indeed Reincarnate. However, he did not elaborate on how the spellcaster specifically chose her goblin form.
- Nott is the first player character to kill another player character with friendly fire.
- Nott's parents are named after cast members Ashley Johnson and Travis Willingham, because their characters, Yasha and Fjord respectively, were the ones who first asked about them.
- Though all of Sam's characters in the main campaigns are married, Nott was the only one to already be married when she was introduced.
External Links Edit
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #141: 'With Great Power...'" (TMx141) at 1:01:32.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 3:29:34.
- ↑ Sam clarified the spelling of Veth on Twitter.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 28:38. Nott tells Calianna she is Fjord's daughter and her name is Bren.
- ↑ See "The Hour of Honor" (2x24) at 1:55:17.
- ↑ Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 41. The month names for Exandria's calendar can vary across cultures, but most civilizations accept those provided in the calendar of Tal'Dorei.
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) from 1:27:46 through 1:28:45. Caleb chose to celebrate Nott's 9th birthday on the 12th of Fessuran, 835 P.D., although neither Caleb nor Nott knew her actual birthday or birthyear.
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) from 1:27:46 through 1:28:45. Because of Matt Mercer clarifying an error in reading his calendar this date is actually pushed back to Sydenstar 22.
- ↑ See "With Great Power..." (2x94) at 01:54:58.
- ↑ See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 1:50:25. Nott/Veth's post-transformation stats are shown on screen.
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) at 2:42:05.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 0:21:17. Sam Reigel describes Nott for the first time.
- ↑ See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) from 1:16:40 through 1:19:45.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:43:42. Sam describes casting disguise self to match Veth’s appearance.
- ↑ See "In Love and War" (2x57) at 1:23:21. Sam again describes Veth's appearance
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 0:24:33.
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 2:33:49.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 0:27:27.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #98: 'A Game of Names'" (TMx98) from 0:36:29 through 0:37:46.
- ↑ See "Hush" (2x07) at 0:49:49. Nott points her crossbow at Shakaste when they first meet.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:29:19. Nott asks "Should I kill her?" when meeting Keg.
- ↑ See "The Stowaway" (2x45) at 0:27:49. Nott points her crossbow at Twiggy when they first meet.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 0:28:38. Nott tells Calianna she is Fjord's daughter and her name is Bren.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 1:10:17. Nott introduces herself to Starosta Wyatt as Pam.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:33:25. Nott introduces herself to Keg as Jeff.
- ↑ See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) at 1:23:36. Caleb and Nott discuss how they can help keep the Mighty Nein together and boost morale
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:42:41. Nott tells Fjord the Mighty Nein will support his quest at sea to understand his patron
- ↑ See "The Stowaway" (2x45) from 4:26:19 through 4:28:28. Despite already being badly hurt, Nott takes an attack from a blue dragon to give Jester a chance to escape. After the blue dragon's attack, Nott only has one hit point.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 2:43:59.
- ↑ See "Blessing in Disguise" (2x95) at 3:19:05.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 0:29:19.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 0:27:34.
- ↑ See "The Gentleman's Path" (2x19) at 3:39:12.
- ↑ See "The Gentleman's Path" (2x19) at 3:35:13.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #55: 'Hush'" (TMx55).
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #61: 'Lost & Found'" (TMx61).
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) from 3:00:17 through 3:04:31.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:23:02.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:23:27.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 11:16 through 18:06.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 18:09 through 26:42.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) from 2:39:14 through 2:43:006. Caduceus and Nott discuss their purpose
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:30:39.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:31:32.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 3:32:21 through 3:35:49.
- ↑ Liam O'Brien shared pictures of the notes pages used in game on his Twitter.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 3:43:42 through 3:49:38.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 0:43:50.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) from 1:05:31 through 1:11:03. The Mighty Nein meet Sunbreaker Olomon.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) from 1:21:10 through 1:28:04.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) at 3:46:50.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) from 3:54:18 through 3:58:22. Lady Zethris offers two jobs for Mighty Nein.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 1:40:10. Nott objects to Caduceus picking Beau to negotiate with Yussah Errenis
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) from 22:39 through 26:18.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) from 30:16 through 31:08.
- ↑ See "Frigid Propositions" (2x109) at 1:06:35.
- ↑ See "In Love and War" (2x57) at 1:33:30.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) at 1:11:20.
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40). Nott tells Fjord the Mighty Nein will support his quest at sea to understand his patron
- ↑ See "In Hot Water" (2x43) at 2:51:31.
- ↑ See "The Endless Burrows" (2x50) at 13:53.
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (2x03) at 1:36:23.
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (2x02) from 4:01:13 through 4:05:32. Jester and Nott falsely accuse multiple members of the carnival of turning the man into a zombie with no evidence.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (2x30) from 3:12:51 through 3:18:00. Jester and Nott unsuccessfully try to figure out if The Gentleman knows Avantika
- ↑ See "A Hole In the Plan" (2x42) at 2:19:09. Jester and Nott find Avantika's journal but set off traps, tipping Avantika off that someone has been in her quarters
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:37:03.
- ↑ See "Temple of the False Serpent" (2x39) from 2:34:49 through 2:36:28. Jester and Nott invent a combo move they call "Fluffernutter!" where Jester throws a keg of black powder and Nott shoots it with an explosive arrow
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 1:56:31 through 2:30:40.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 18:07 through 26:35.
- ↑ See "The Ruby and the Sapphire" (2x33) at 1:55:41.
- ↑ See "A Pirate's Life for Me" (2x41) at 0:21:53.
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) at 1:32:44. Nott suggests Fjord and Jester go scout the underwater temple together and asks them if they need any money.
- ↑ See "Well Beneath" (2x54) from 1:42:00 through 1:42:57. Nott tells Jester Fjord was implying he wanted to room with Jester at the Four Corners.
- ↑ See "Disparate Pieces" (2x04) at 3:29:41.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18).
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 0:24:46.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (2x30) at 1:24:04.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) from 1:23:26 through 1:25:09.
- ↑ See "Refjorged" (2x76) at 4:40:53.
- ↑ See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 2:25:49.
- ↑ See "Refjorged" (2x76) at 4:36:53.
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 2:28:04.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 29:13.
- ↑ See "Reflections" (2x68) at 0:26:09.
- ↑ See "The Threads Converge" (2x85) at 2:22:45.
- ↑ See "The Threads Converge" (2x85) at 2:25:08.
- ↑ See ex91 at 3:47:57.
- ↑ See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) from 1:45:57 through 1:50:25.
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (2x10) at 0:40:09. Nott borrows the Ring of Water Walking from Jester, who had been wearing it on her right middle finger.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 1:13:44.
- ↑ See "Divergent Paths" (2x25) at 3:23:01.
- ↑ See "Divergent Paths" (2x25) from 3:28:28 through 3:29:26.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (2x30) at 1:19:34.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) at 1:54:08.
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) from 3:10:10 through 3:11:53.
- ↑ See "Mysteries, Memories, and Music" (2x101) at 1:07:07.
- ↑ See "Mysteries, Memories, and Music" (2x101) at 1:07:24.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 3:18:05.
- ↑ See "Unwanted Reunions" (2x88) at 3:46:20.
- ↑ See "A Fog Lifted" (2x106) at 2:18:42.
- ↑ See "Causatum" (2x70) at 0:18:00.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72) from 3:32:10 through 3:32:23.
- ↑ See "A Tangled Web" (2x77) at 17:32.
- ↑ See "Ghosts, Dinosaurs, and Stuff" (2x102) at 3:02:39.
- ↑ See "A Fog Lifted" (2x106) at 0:34:00.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) at 11:18.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) from 1:11:47 through 1:13:18.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 1:13:59.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 2:37:33.
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (2x02) at 2:51:50.
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 1:56:00.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:45:11.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 4:17:08.
- ↑ See "Have Bird, Will Travel" (2x23) at 2:08:09.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:16:57. Nott steals the black powder keg
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) at 1:46:46. Nott throws the keg behind the party fleeing and Caleb hits it with Scorching Rays, causing an explosion
- ↑ See "Duplicity" (2x55) at 4:04:00.
- ↑ See "Rumble at Rumblecusp" (2x105) from 1:03:13 through 1:03:44.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:30:27.
- ↑ See "Beneath Bazzoxan" (2x66) at 1:10:37.
- ↑ See "The King's Cage" (2x69) at 00:19:00.
- ↑ See "Ghosts, Dinosaurs, and Stuff" (2x102) at 2:57:58.
- ↑ See "A Fog Lifted" (2x106) at 0:19:13.
- ↑ See "A Fog Lifted" (2x106) at 2:17:09.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 2:14:12. Sam notes that Nott has disadvantage on an Investigation check because she is drunk
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 2:43:59. Sam notes that Nott is immune to fear while drunk
- ↑ See "Where The River Goes" (2x15) at 40:20. The Crossbow Expert feat allows Nott to attack with her crossbow in close range without disadvantage.
- ↑ See "Maritime Mysteries" (2x103) at 2:07:29. Veth rolls a 12 + 5 for her Wisdom saving throw to resist memory loss on Rumblecusp, the +5 modifier being consistent with the Wisdom variant of Resilient that she took at level 10.
- ↑ See "The Endless Burrows" (2x50) at 3:29:59. Matt Mercer tells us Nott has 5 extra feet movement because of the 'halfling feat'. This is the only raced based feat Nott could take with this ability.
- ↑ See "Rumble at Rumblecusp" (2x105) at 2:34:53.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 2:50:15. Nott uses Fury of the Small to deal additional damage to a creature larger than herself.
- ↑ 134.0 134.1 See D&D: Volo's Guide to Monsters, 5th ed., p. 119, available online at D&D Beyond.
- ↑ See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 1:58:09. Matt says Veth can hide behind her party members, a Lightfoot Halfling trait.
- ↑ See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 1:58:09. Matt says Veth can hide behind her party members. The description matches the Lightfoot Halfling trait Naturally Stealthy.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 4:11:44.
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (2x10) at 2:55:28.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 4:11:38.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 2:52:15. Nott casts Mage Hand.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 0:42:31. Nott casts Message.
- ↑ See "The Folding Halls" (2x80) at 3:05:29. Nott casts Shape Water.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 2:02:29. Nott casts Shocking Grasp.
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 2:15:26. Nott casts Disguise Self.
- ↑ See "Where The River Goes" (2x15) at 2:20:20. Nott casts Feather Fall.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 1:25:18. Nott casts Silent Image.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 2:39:10. Nott casts Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
- ↑ See "The Endless Burrows" (2x50) at 3:29:51. Nott casts Invisibility.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 0:28:57. Nott casts Levitate
- ↑ See "A Hole In the Plan" (2x42) at 2:39:45. Nott casts Phantasmal Force.
- ↑ See "Through the Trees" (2x79) at 2:40:09. Nott mentions she knows Spider Climb.
- ↑ See "Ghosts, Dinosaurs, and Stuff" (2x102) at 0:38:13. Veth casts Brenatto's Voltaic Bolt using a bit of fur and touching a crossbow bolt for an additional 13 points (looked like 3 dice) of lightning damage on the hit.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 1:00:36.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 1:56:19.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 1:29:23.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 3:47:38.
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) at 3:01:53.
- ↑ See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) from 2:59:57 through 3:01:27.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:31:38.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:33:48.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) at 2:42:12.
- ↑ See "Devoutness and Dicks" (2x107) at 3:46:43. Veth talking to Vilya about her return to Tal'Dorei
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) at 1:26:52. Nott estimates her age being between 6–9 years old.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 2:54:50.
- ↑ The official art of the campaign depicts Nott as having four fingers.
- ↑ See "The Gentleman's Path" (2x19) at 2:36:15.
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (2x20) from 13:24 through 13:33.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:38:58.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:58:50.
- ↑ See "Duplicity" (2x55) at 4:03:47.
- ↑ Official 2020 portrait of Veth (current), by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Official 2018 portrait of Nott (debut), by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ 2019 Official full body portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Official full body portrait of Veth, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ 2018 Official full body portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ 2019 Official portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Veth, by HeartofPack (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott and Mollymauk Tealeaf after the latter caught her rummaging through Fjord's things in "Zemnian Nights" (2x11), by Rebecca Snowden (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott the Brave, by Mintscribbleart (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Luc Brenatto, by my2k (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott, by GalacticJonah (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Jester and Nott as detectives, by Nikki Dawes (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Veth, by Ameera (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott and Caleb, by Ana Fedina (source). Used with permission.