Nott, also known as Nott the Brave, and formerly as Veth Brenatto, is a goblin (formerly halfling) rogue. She is played by Sam Riegel.
Appearance EditNott has green skin, green hair, and yellow eyes. Her clothes are not in great condition, much like her traveling companion, Caleb. She hides her face with a hood and a porcelain mask. Nott is three feet tall. Before this, Nott was a halfling woman named Veth. She had a plump face, dark skin, and braided hair. 
As of "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84), Nott has an aquamarine tattoo highlighting her eyes and temples.
Personality EditNott hides in the shadows a lot because she knows goblins are not welcome in this part of the Dwendalian Empire, especially around her home town of Felderwin, where goblins frequently raided.. She has been described as "jumpy" and gets nervous very easily. Nott has kleptomaniacal tendencies that she seems to temper by drinking alcohol. Nott has an intense fear and hatred of water, having previously been drowned to death as Veth by goblins. Nott dislikes dogs, and clarifies that she does not have a craving to consume the flesh of human children.
Nott's normally eccentric behavior is suppressed when the lives of her friends are in danger. The personality of Veth the halfling has been twisted to be more extreme since she became Nott the goblin. Veth liked to collect things: Nott is a kleptomaniac. Veth enjoyed wine every now and then: Nott is an alcoholic.Nott is slow to trust and often greets new people by threatening them or lying about her name. Once she does grow to care about someone, Nott has strong maternal instincts. She has proclaimed herself to be very protective of Caleb, and demonstrates a caring attitude to many members of the party. Nott has become very invested in keeping the Mighty Nein together and making sure everyone feels like an important part of the team.
Despite insisting she is not brave, Nott has put herself in danger to save the lives of her friends or help them achieve their goals several times. She also came along on two underwater dives to help Fjord despite her fear of water.
Nott has said several times that she hates goblins, and finds their behavior disgusting. One of her desires for Caleb becoming stronger is so that he can "change" her. This seemed to suggest she suffered from a form of dysmorphia or a strong self-loathing. However was it later confirmed that she had in fact been a halfling woman transformed into a goblin. She believes that Caleb can one day become powerful enough to determine the nature of her "condition" and change her back, hence her desire for him to grow stronger. 
She has been shown to struggle with telling people of the same race apart, and has little compunction against vocalizing her confusion. Conversely, she insists that goblins are all distinct and easily recognizable.
When Nott has been drinking and becomes inebriated she becomes Nott the Brave and is immune to fear.
Background EditNott was born a halfling, Veth Smyt'hh, in the town of Felderwin. Growing up, she was often ridiculed for her peculiarities, which made it difficult for her to fit in. She later met a halfling man named Yeza Brenatto through a game of truth or dare, and eventually they fell in love. They were later married and had a son, Luc. About three and a half years after Luc's birth, the family was kidnapped by a local goblin clan. After being held there for weeks, Veth helped her family to escape, letting her son and husband run ahead while luring their captors away. She was cornered by the goblins and threw a vial of acid in their leader's face, killing him. The goblins recaptured Veth and the wife of the deceased leader took her to an old spellcaster Isharnai, with instructions to "make her suffer." The spellcaster drowned Veth in a river, and though Nott believes that she died, she later awoke as a goblin.
Nott was bounced around many different jobs in the goblin clan, eventually becoming the torturer's assistant. Under unknown circumstances, she escaped and eventually wound up in jail; it was here that she met Caleb. Caleb used Frumpkin to bring a piece of wire into their cell, which Nott used to pick the lock. Caleb proceeded to set the jail on fire and scream for help. The guards promptly fled, and Caleb and Nott walked out of the jail together. The two travelled together for awhile, at first out of convenience, but then out of genuine friendship.
Nott claims that at some point she accidentally ate part of a human child, which she referred to as "baby goulash".
Nott apparently saved Caleb's life before they met the rest of the group.
Chapter 9 Edit
"Zemnian Nights" (2x11) Edit
Fjord and Molly set up a trap to see why Nott was rifling through Fjord's things and trying to get his letter to the Soltryce Academy. While charmed by Molly, Nott revealed her desire to give the letter to Caleb so that he could fulfill his potential of becoming a very powerful wizard. She said that the rest of the Mighty Nein would not be able to help her. She expressed her fears of being discovered by the many dangers they would likely run into on their travels north, and that she needed Caleb to live so that he could protect, save, and ultimately change her form from that of a goblin.
Chapter 10 Edit
"A Favor in Kind" (2x16) Edit
Disguising herself as a normal little halfling girl, Nott spent an hour at a cafe just having lunch and being what she considered to be a normal person.
Nott paid 5gp to send a package to someone in Felderwin containing a note, 50gp, a bunch of buttons, all the rings she had, a door knob, a brass baby bottle, all of her ball bearings, and the two bracelets she had.
"Commerce & Chaos" (2x31)Edit
Nott spent the two weeks of down time in Zadash mostly shopping and crafting. She sent another package of trinkets and 100 gold pieces to an unknown location along with a note. She took apart the gun she stole from Hupperdook to figure out how the explosion is created. She attempted to use this knowledge to create explosive arrows. She managed to create one after multiple failed attempts. Nott also commissioned a pair of human skin colored gloves with fingernails embroidered on them.
Nott enlisted Jester's help in forging a letter to the Soltryce Academy. They wrote a letter from a fake law firm (Nott & Brave) claiming to be looking for one of their students named Astrid because she had inherited money. Nott asked Jester not to tell Caleb about the letter. Nott believed Astrid was someone from Caleb's past who could help remember good times, but worried if he knew about the letter he would get upset. Jester promised not to tell Caleb and told Nott that Caleb had drunkenly called her "Astrid" while they were dancing in Hupperdook.
"O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36)Edit
Caleb, Jester, and Nott interrogated Gallan Westman, the only surviving member of The Mist crew. When Gallan said he was not important and did not know very much, Nott tried to cheer him up by pointing out he was the only survivor of a "brutal attack". Gallan felt better until Nott mentioned the axe that had been in his head. Nott appointed him first mate, since he is only one on board who knows how to sail besides Fjord.
Caleb and Nott took the first watch that evening and talked about the previous day's events. Neither of them feel good about the way the day went. However, they were both more concerned that the rest of the members of the Mighty Nein seem unsettled. Caleb referred to the Mighty Nein as their new family and suggested they make an effort to try and boost morale. Nott agreed, telling Caleb to fake a heart attack so the group can bond over "saving" him. Caleb apologized to Nott for casting Suggestion on her to make her swim. Nott said it was ok, but please warn her in the future if he's going to do that again.
During their watch one night at sea, Caduceus asked Nott why she has been making extremely obvious attempts to cheer up him and include him. Nott told him many of the team, not her, were outcasts before they banded together. Now that they're traveling doing (mostly) good things, they rely on each other. Nott has been trying to keep the group together. Caduceus told her he's on board with the Mighty Nein, for now. Nott asked Caduceus to stick close to Caleb and heal him once they get to the island. Nott said her time with the Mighty Nein has seemed like a sign to her even though she is not religious. She thinks it means there could be another chapter for all of them. Caduceus seemed surprised and says he thought he had Nott figured out.
The next night, The Mistake fought off an attack by harpies. Caleb followed through on the plan to fake a heart attack right after the harpies were all gone. Caleb dropped the ruse after Jester fell for it and started to actually blow air into his lungs. Nott continued the ruse, saying the power of friendship healed Caleb. The group did not seem to be fooled. Fjord sarcastically asked how they can further prevent further "heart episodes". Nott responded they need only more friendship. When The Mistake was damaged going through the reef, Nott hid in the crow's nest as far away from the water as possible.
"Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37)Edit
"A Hole In the Plan" (2x42)Edit
Jester and Nott break into Avantika's quarters on the Squall Eater and steal her journal and some jewels. They escape without being seen but set off several traps and leave a hole in the floor, tipping Avantika off that someone had broken in.
"Homeward Bound" (2x48)Edit
The Mighty Nein sailed back to Nicodranas. Nott was excited to get access to Tidepeak and for Caleb to meet Yussa Errenis. They decided to travel next to Felderwin so Nott could check in on her halfling friend Yeza (the halfling she helped escape from her own goblin clan).
Arriving in Felderwin, they discovered his business and home, Brenatto Apothecary, was burned down during the Kryn Dynasty attack. Two Crownsguard told Nott that Yeza has not been seen since the attack, but they have not found a body. Yeza's son Luc survived and is now staying with a woman named Old Edith. The Mighty Nein searched the ruins of the apothecary. They forced open the magically locked basement door and searched. There seems to have been a struggle in the basement room. Several pieces of furniture have been destroyed and there are blade marks on the walls. Nott picked the lock on an iron chest in the corner of the room. Inside the chest is a retractable silver tripod, a vial of a strange grey substance that appears to be between liquid and gas, and a pages of notes that are mostly burned.
Only two pages are still legible. The notes described experiments with a "dumanis field" causing large areas around the laboratory where people felt sometimes sluggish and sometimes moved mysteriously faster. Intelligence from captured Kryn Dynasty operatives indicates that they have been experimenting with Dunamancy and its ability to manipulate gravity, entropy, and time. Cerberus Assembly researchers have distilled one vial of dunamis and hope to use Yeza to make more. The notes say that Trent Ikithon (Caleb's former teacher) has some pupils that show signs of being able to use Dunamnacy.
Nott turned on Caleb, saying it was "your people" that were doing experiments and hurt his friend. Beau and Caleb tried to subtly signal Nott to stop talking because Caleb has not shared that he had a previous connection to Trent Ikithon with anyone except them. Nott angrily yelled "fuck him!" and said she had to go see Edith. Caleb threw up in the middle of the room. Caduceus comforted Caleb, telling him Nott's anger is not about him.
After cleaning up, the Mighty Nein leave the basement. They walk to Old Edith's house. Nott casts Disguise Self to look like a halfling woman before knocking on the door. When Edith opens the door, Nott immediately asked for her son. Edith looked surprised to see Nott's halfling disguise and told her she was presumed dead. Edith brought a halfling boy to the door. Luc Brenatto recognized Nott's disguised form as his mother but was confused. His father told Luc goblins killed his mother. When Nott asked if Luc had been getting the packages she sent, Luc said he has been getting presents but did not know who they were from. When soldiers from Xhorhas attacked, Yeza told Luc to hide. He ran to Old Edith. Luc told Nott "don't die" before going back inside the house.
Nott gives Edith two hundred gold to help her take care of Luc. Edith addresses Nott as "Veth" and tells her that Luc is a good boy. She closes the door. As the Mighty Nein begin to think about what to do, they notice Vess DeRogna and Martinet Ludinus De'leth walking towards the ruins of the apothecary.
"A Game of Names" (2x49)Edit
After hiding from Vess DeRogna and Martinet Ludinus Da'leth, Nott told the Mighty Nein about herself and her son. Nott was born a halfling woman named Veth. She was always strange and bullied by her brothers growing up. One day, her brothers dared a boy to kiss her, but he seemed to like it. Veth and the boy, Yeza Brenatto, grew close and eventually got married. They had a son named Luc.
Goblins raided Felderwin and captured the Brenatto family. Veth distracted some of the goblins to give Luc and Yeza a chance to escape. They were able to escape, but goblins caught up to Veth. She threw a vial of acid at one of them, who turned out to be a chief. The goblins took Veth to an unknown magic woman who wore a hood. The wife of the goblin chief told the magic woman to make Veth suffer. The goblins drowned her in a river. When Veth woke up, she was the goblin the Mighty Nein know as Nott.
After about a year of living with the goblin clan, Nott ran away. Since escaping she has been sending notes and packages to Luc and Yeza ("Commerce & Chaos" (2x31), ); but she was always unsure if they believed the packages were real. Nott was unsure what her family would think of her if they knew she was now a goblin. The thought scared her. She agreed to let Caduceus cast Lesser Restoration on her to clear the alcohol from her system and think more clearly about what to do next. The Mighty Nein decided the safest option is for Edith and Luc to go to Alfield, where Bryce Feelid can keep an eye on them.
Nott apologized to Caleb for getting angry. After moving to a more secure location, Caleb revealed that he was born with a different name as well. His birth name was Bren Aldric Ermendrud. He shared with the rest of the party that he was once training with the Cerberus Assembly (something only Beau and Nott had known before). Caleb told the party that he lost his mind during the training and ran away. Since then he has been giving everyone he meets false names to avoid being found by the Assembly.
The next morning, the Mighty Nein learned through Caduceus casting Divination that Yeza was heading towards Ghor Dranas- the capital of the Kryn Dynasty in Xhorhas. After seeing Edith and Luc off on their journey to Alfield with an armed escort, the party investigated the tunnel the Kryn soldiers used to invade. Jester used Polymorph to transform into a giant honey badger and burrow through the collapsed section. The Mighty Nein set off on the long journey to Xhorhas.
"The Endless Burrows" (2x50)Edit
"Feral Business" (2x52)Edit
The Mighty Nein entered Asarius to look for faster transport to Ghor Dranas. When Sunbreaker Ulumon approached the party, Nott was very attracted to him and asked him if there was a "Mrs. Sunbreaker".
Nott negotiated the deal with Zorth to purchase moorbounders at a discount in exchange for killing a creature that has moved into one of the subterranean nests where he breeds the moorbounders. Nott convinced Zorth that a tiny statue of a penis made with Jester's magical paint was actually the petrified penis of a tiny human. Zorth agreed to sell three moorbounders for six hundred gold and the "tiny dick" after the basement was clear. The Mighty Nein found that the creature in the nest was actually multiple demonic dog-like creatures that had come through a portal to the Abyss in the basement.
After killing the creatures and closing the portal, the Mighty Nein took Zorth's suggestion to inform Lady Zethris Olios (one of the Kryn Dynasty leaders in the city) of the portal. Jester and Nott, the "detectives", met with her. They introduced themselves as an investigative team and launched into a rambling explanation (with a little bit of innuendo) of the rift to the Abyss. When Lady Olios asked their for their specialities, Jester and Nott rambled again and cut each other off (briefly mentioning Jester's tattooing and Nott's drinking). However their explanation of closing the rift convinced her that they could be helpful.
Lady Olios offered them two potential jobs- find a Dwendalian Empire spy suspected to be sending messages from the Four Corners or find the source of the rifts. She will pay coin for both jobs. She is also willing to offer a favor with the Bright Queen instead of coin if they find the source of the rifts.
Discussing their options with the rest of the party, Nott wanted to leave right away now that they have moorbounders, but thought that having a favor from someone high up in the Kryn Dynasty would make freeing Yeza easier. The party headed outside of Asarius to rest and decide in the morning.
Nott thinks Beau is a cool secret agent since she revealed herself as a monk of The Cobalt Soul. The two of them have bonded mostly through their mutual friendships with Caleb. Nott seems to have little to no faith in Beau's people skills, but seems impressed by her fighting abilities.
In Nott's previous life as Veth the halfling, she and her husband Yeza had a son named Luc. Veth loved Luc and was very proud of him. She was willing to sacrifice her life to save Luc when goblins captured them.
Since becoming Nott the goblin, she still cares for Luc and sends him presents. Luc is not aware of who the presents are from. Luc was confused to see his mother (Nott used Disguise Self to look like Veth when she talked to him) since Yeza told him she was dead. He did not seem to trust her or be happy to see her. Nott is afraid of what Luc will think of her if he finds out she is now a goblin.
In Nott's previous life as Veth the halfling, she and Yeza got married and had a son named Luc. Veth helped Yeza run Brenatto Apothecary. She learned how to use alchemist's tools from him. Veth was willing to sacrifice her life to save Yeza when goblins captured them. Nott admires Yeza's mind, describing him as brilliant.
Since becoming Nott the goblin, she has sent letters to Yeza and only recently signed them as Veth. Whether Yeza believed that Veth is alive or how he felt about her now was unknown until episode 57. Nott had not told Yeza that she is a goblin, afraid of what he would think of her.
Upon meeting Yeza in episode 57, Nott was apprehensive as to revealing her new identity, but with guidance from the rest of the Nein, Nott showed her husband her new goblinoid form. Defying Nott's expectations and fears, Yeza proclaimed his love and acceptance of her, saying that all that mattered was that she was still his wife.
Nott had been supportive of Fjord's desire to learn more about his patron despite her fear of water. Fjord and Nott also like to make fun of each other. Fjord jokingly told Nott a story about a ship full of buttons that sank so she would feel better about going underwater in the Diver's Grave. Nott later retaliated by telling Fjord that in Xhorhas there are thousands of eye shaped balls he can swallow. There is tension in their relationship caused by Nott's belief that Caleb is the group's "leader" and she views Fjord's tendency to take charge as challenging that.
Nott has eaten Frumpkin twice.
Jester and Nott quickly took a liking to each other. Jester offered to help Nott steal things, and encouraged Nott to try to pickpocket her. Later, they teamed up while investigating the carnival. Jester and Nott decided they were amazing investigators and should form a "detective agency". The two of them have "investigated" together several times with mixed results.
Jester and Nott have worked together on multiple acts of trickery and creating chaos, notably almost getting arrested in Zadash for vandalizing the temple of The Platinum Dragon. Jester was the only member of the Mighty Nein Nott asked to help in trying to reunite Astrid and Caleb. The two of them composed a letter from a fake law firm (Nott & Brave) claiming they were looking for Astrid because she had inherited money. Nott asked Jester not to tell Caleb because he might get upset but told Jester that this might help Caleb remember happier times. Jester agreed not to tell Caleb and kept that promise.
Nott is the only member of the Mighty Nein who knows that Fjord was Jester's first kiss. Nott has awkwardly and obviously tried to set up situations for Fjord and Jester to be alone together since finding this out.
Nott commented on Yasha's size, possibly intimidated by it. Later, she gave her flowers in the hopes that the large woman would not kill her. Nott and Yasha bonded over being the only two members of the Nein to enjoy eating rats, though Nott prefers hers raw instead of cooked, which is Yasha's preference.
Caleb is Nott's traveling companion. Caleb has said he owes a lot to Nott for having saved his life. The two are very protective of each other. Even after joining the Mighty Nein, Nott still considered herself and Caleb separate from the rest of the group for a long time. She was prepared for the two of them to go off alone if Caleb wanted to. By the time the Iron Shepherds kidnapped Jester, Fjord, and Yasha, Caleb and Nott both cared enough for their friends that they were no longer concerned with finishing the job for The Gentleman. The two of them now think of the whole group as their new family.
Nott and Caleb apparently have a number of practiced cons that they presumably engage in to procure coin. After coming under scrutiny for the incident at the carnival, Caleb asked Nott to refrain from any cons for the time being. Known Cons: The Money Pot, Rat Food, Prince and the Pauper, Spider Eyes, Mother's Love, Enemy of my Enemy, and Modern Literature.
Caleb sees Nott as his best friend. In the beginning of the campaign, Nott said she sees her relationship with Caleb as that of a parent and child, as herself being the parent of Caleb, however this isn't known to him. She said that she was protecting Caleb as she sees potential in his magic abilities, wishing for him to become powerful enough to revert her back into her natural halfling form.
Nott has since explained that she loves Caleb and wouldn't leave his side for anything, and that she sees herself as a protector to him (and to the rest of the group, too). She asks him outright if he'd be able to change her back to her halfling body. Caleb, for his part, says he will everything he can to help Nott, though he acknowledges that he needs time and things to study for it to work.
Nott encourages and praises Caleb every time he gets a new spell. She has often put her life at risk to help Caleb acquire magical books and items.
Nott was sorry for not telling Caleb the truth about her past life. She kept it a secret because she did not want to distract Caleb from his path. She forgave Caleb for lying about his name and his past when they first met. She understands why he did it because she did the same thing herself.
Nott revealed that she had a crush on Caleb while they were in jail at the beginning of their time together in a conversation with Beau. While she states that this crush was only until she got to know Caleb, she refers to the reasons for this crush in present tense.
Nott immediately had a crush on the massive, muscular minotaur. She thought he was "fucking hot", and asked him if there was a "Mrs. Sunbreaker".
Character Information Edit
Notable Items Edit
- Nott's Mask
- Small Vase
- Plain Flask (reacquired)
- Ring of Water Walking
- Beau's Jade Bracelet
- A rat in a cage
- The Tinkertop Bolt Blaster 1000™ (given to her by Cleff Tinkertop as a reward for destroying the Gear Warden)
- A pistol (stolen from a guard in Hupperdook)
- A medallion given to her by Keg
- Human-skin colored gloves (with fingernails)
- Cloak of Elvenkind (a gift from Caduceus and Jester)
- Golden Cobra Statue
- Glamoured Studded Leather
- Flask of Perpetual Booze (a platinum flask enchanted by Pumat Sol to have endless alcohol)
Posted Items (to Yeza) Edit
- First set
- Written Note
- Brass Baby Bottle
- Brass Door Knob
- Ball Bearings
- Two Bracelets
- Blouse Buttons
- 50 gold
- Second set
- 1g (Inflated) worth of:
Baubles, Trinkets, Buttons, Ribbons, String, Beads and 1 Crescent Ornament
- Written Note
- 100 Gold
- 1g (Inflated) worth of:
Hand Crossbow(broken in the battle against the Gear Warden)
Brass Baby Bottle(stolen from a shop in Trostenwald)
Brass Door Knob
Two Blouse Buttons(stolen from a lady)
Two Wooden Swords(won during the Harvest Close Festival, traded to Beau)
Crude doll of Bertrand Dwendal (given to her and Yeza's son, Luc)
Scroll of Invisibility(obtained from Calianna, gifted to Caleb)
Keg of black powder(stolen from the Squall Eater cargo hold, used for Fluffernutter on Urukaxl)
One Explosive Arrow
Dagger of Denial (given to Fjord)
- Inebriation (when severely intoxicated, has disadvantage on Dexterity, Intelligence, and Perception ability checks, but is immune to the Frightened condition)
Goblin Abilities Edit
Rogue Abilities Edit
- Cunning Action
- Expertise (Investigation, Thieves' Tools, Sleight of Hand, Stealth)
- Reliable Talent
- Roguish Archetype: Arcane Trickster
- Mage Hand Legerdemain
- Magical Ambush
- Sneak Attack (6d6)
- Thieves' Cant
- Uncanny Dodge
Wizard Spells Edit
As an 11th-level Arcane Trickster, Nott knows four wizard cantrips and eight 1st- and 2nd-level spells from the wizard spell list. She can replace the spells she knows when she gains a level.
- "I LOVE TRINKETS SO MUCH!" (a not-at-all ironic quote in-character as Nott)
- "This is fine." (said while inside a burning building)
- "I'll be part of this Fjord Expedition." (a pun on Fjord's name and a model of car by Ford Motor Company)
- "Are we Fjord Explorers or Fjord Escapes?"
- "He can protect me."(Nott under a charm talking about Caleb.)
- "You can reply to this message."
- "There’s a bit of a misconception here. Caleb and I have a very special relationship. It is that of a parent and a child. But I am the parent. You do understand that, correct? I protect him. He’s my boy. And I keep him safe. I want him to thrive and get better and better and more powerful and stronger. Because he can achieve great things. When I found him, he was nothing. He was a scared little boy in the corner of a jail cell. And as we have gotten [sigh] more comfortable, he has gotten more comfortable and come out of his shell. It’s my job to protect him because I love him, and I am his protector. Not because he protects me."
- "I’m so sorry, it wasn’t you, it’s not your fault. It wasn’t you, you were made to do it. It’s not your fault, it’s not your fault. I know you don’t realize that now, but you will. This pain that you have that you wear all over you like a mask, it’s just that and you can take it off someday. I know it hurts but it wasn’t your fault. And I’m just gonna keep telling you that until you believe me...What you did was awful, truly terrible, despicable and unforgivable. Until you can forgive it. At some point, you’ll have to do that. And I swear to you that I will be at your side until you do." (to Caleb)
- "I am the greatest detective of all times! I poured one drink, and I solved the case!"
- Nott: "I have to bare my teeth at everyone! Look at these things- they're huge!"
Keg: "You have no choice?"
Nott: "No! I have very thin lips, very long teeth, some would call them fangs. It's not my fault. When I smile it looks like I'm trying to bite your throat off." 
- "Molly said not to steal from happy people." (response to being asked if she wanted something from Molly’s corpse)
- "Do you know Pumat Sol?" (asked of every Firbolg she's met)
- "Are you saying to me that we made a mistake?" (asked to Jester after a plan that went disastrously wrong)
- Nott: "I'm not a religious lady. But I will tell you that, for me, this journey with this group has been a bit of a sign. And I know that you're questioning whether it was for you, but-"
Caduceus: "What kind of sign?"
Nott: "A sign that there could be, for all of us, another chapter."
Caduceus: "Wow. I thought I had you figured out. Never mind. All right."
Nott: "I'm gonna drink now." 
- "Chemistry's good, baby, but killin' is better."
- Nott has the lowest charisma of any player character so far.
- Nott is the second player character in the main campaign to be an opposite sex of their player, and the first such character to be a regular party member in an ongoing campaign. The first was Shale. There have been two others since then, Calianna in Campaign 2 and Lieve'tel in the Search for Grog one shot.
- "Nott" is also the name of the Norse goddess of night and the grandmother of Thor.
- "Nott the Brave" is an anagram for "Veth Brenatto," Nott's former name.
- Nott is a kleptomaniac. Her statement that she just loves "trinkets" is an inside joke about Trinket, Vex'ahlia's bear companion from The Campaign of Vox Machina, toward whom Sam Riegel and his previous character Scanlan Shorthalt were frequently disdainful.
- Nott estimated her age between 6 and 9 years. By goblin standards, she said that this makes her "almost grown" and "of childbearing age". Since goblins reach maturity at age 8, this would indicate that Nott is around 9 years old.
- As with Scanlan's initial age, this may be a 69 joke on Sam's part.
- Nott weighs 45 pounds.
- Nott only has four fingers on each hand.
- One of her and Caleb's cons, Modern Literature, involves Nott shooting a book located underneath Caleb's armpit (that only she knows is there) and Caleb playing dead.
- Nott's favorite whiskey is "the type that gets [her] good and drunk."
- During a nighttime conversation with Keg, Nott claimed that she was a pretty good dancer. Nott later revealed that she was in fact only an average dancer.
- Sam's introductory description of Nott referred to her as a "little goblin girl," while his previous character Taryon Darrington initially referred to Vax'ildan and Vex'ahlia as "little elf boy" and "little elf girl," respectively. Deborah Ann Woll would use a similar introductory description for her character Twiggy, who shares Nott's class and subclass.
- According to Sam, the spell used to transform Veth into Nott was indeed Reincarnate. However, he did not elaborate on how the goblin spellcaster specifically chose her form.
- Nott is the first player character to kill another player character with friendly fire.
- Nott's parents are named after cast members Ashley Johnson and Travis Willingham.
External Links Edit
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 3:29:34.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49).
- ↑ Sam clarified the spelling of Veth on Twitter.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 2:19:08.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 28:38. Nott tells Calianna she is Fjord's daughter and her name is Bren.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 1:10:17. Nott introduces herself to Starosta Wyatt as Pam.
- ↑ See "Converging Fury" (2x27) at 1:02:25.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:33:25. Nott introduces herself to Keg as Jeff.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 3:09:09.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #141: 'With Great Power...'" (TMx141).
- ↑ Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 41. The month names for Exandria's calendar can vary across cultures, but most civilizations accept those provided in the calendar of Tal'Dorei.
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) from 1:27:46 through 1:28:45. Caleb chose to celebrate Nott's 9th birthday on the 12th of Fessuran, 835 P.D., although neither Caleb nor Nott knew her actual birthday or birthyear.
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) from 1:27:46 through 1:28:45. Because of Matt Mercer clarifying an error in reading his calendar this date is actually pushed back to Sydenstar 22.
- ↑ See "With Great Power..." (2x94) at 01:54:58.
- ↑ See "A Tangled Web" (2x77) at 0:17:44. Nott's level 10 stats are shown on screen.
- ↑ See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 1:08:31. Nott's level 10 stats are shown on screen.
- ↑ "The Endless Burrows" (2x50) erroneously depicts Nott's AC on her Twitch character card as 17.
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) at 2:42:05.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 0:21:17. Sam Reigel describes Nott for the first time.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:43:42. Sam describes casting disguise self to match Veth’s appearance.
- ↑ See "In Love and War" (2x57). Sam again describes Veth's appearance
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 0:24:33.
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 2:33:49.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #98: 'A Game of Names'" (TMx98) from 0:36:29 through 0:37:46.
- ↑ See "Hush" (2x07) at 0:49:49. Nott points her crossbow at Shakaste when they first meet.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:29:19. Nott asks "Should I kill her?" when meeting Keg.
- ↑ See "The Stowaway" (2x45) at 0:27:49. Nott points her crossbow at Twiggy when they first meet.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 0:28:38. Nott tells Calianna she is Fjord's daughter and her name is Bren.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 1:10:17. Nott introduces herself to Starosta Wyatt as Pam.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:33:25. Nott introduces herself to Keg as Jeff.
- ↑ See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) at 1:23:36. Caleb and Nott discuss how they can help keep the Mighty Nein together and boost morale
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:42:41. Nott tells Fjord the Mighty Nein will support his quest at sea to understand his patron
- ↑ See "The Stowaway" (2x45) from 4:26:19 through 4:28:28. Despite already being badly hurt, Nott takes an attack from a blue dragon to give Jester a chance to escape. After the blue dragon's attack, Nott only has 1 hit point.
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 2:43:59.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #55: 'Hush'" (TMx55).
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #61: 'Lost & Found'" (TMx61).
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) from 3:00:17 through 3:04:31.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:23:02.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:23:27.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 11:16 through 18:06.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 18:09 through 26:42.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) from 2:39:14 through 2:43:006. Caduceus and Nott discuss their purpose
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:30:39.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:31:32.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 3:32:21 through 3:35:49.
- ↑ Liam O'Brien shared pictures of the notes pages used in game on his Twitter.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) from 3:43:42 through 3:49:38.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49).
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) from 1:05:31 through 1:11:03. The Mighty Nein meet Sunbreaker Ulumon.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) from 1:21:10 through 1:28:04.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) at 3:46:50.
- ↑ See "Feral Business" (2x52) from 3:54:18 through 3:58:22. Lady Zethris offers two jobs for Mighty Nein.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 1:40:10. Nott objects to Caduceus picking Beau to negotiate with Yussah Errenis
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) from 22:39 through 26:18.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) from 30:16 through 31:08.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) at 1:11:20.
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40). Nott tells Fjord the Mighty Nein will support his quest at sea to understand his patron
- ↑ See "In Hot Water" (2x43) at 2:51:31.
- ↑ See "The Midnight Chase" (2x03) at 1:36:23.
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (2x02) from 4:01:13 through 4:05:32. Jester and Nott falsely accuse multiple members of the carnival of turning the man into a zombie with no evidence.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (2x30) from 3:12:51 through 3:18:00. Jester and Nott unsuccessfully try to figure out if The Gentleman knows Avantika
- ↑ See "A Hole In the Plan" (2x42). Jester and Nott find Avantika's journal but set off traps, tipping Avantika off that someone has been in her quarters
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:37:03.
- ↑ See "Temple of the False Serpent" (2x39) from 2:34:49 through 2:36:28. Jester and Nott invent a combo move they call "Fluffernutter!" where Jester throws a keg of black powder and Nott shoots it with an explosive arrow
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 1:56:31 through 2:30:40.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) from 18:07 through 26:35.
- ↑ See "The Ruby and the Sapphire" (2x33) at 1:55:41.
- ↑ See "A Pirate's Life for Me" (2x41).
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) at 1:32:44. Nott suggests Fjord and Jester go scout the underwater temple together and asks them if they need any money.
- ↑ See "Well Beneath" (2x54) from 1:42:00 through 1:42:57. Nott tells Jester Fjord was implying he wanted to room with Jester at the Four Corners.
- ↑ See "Disparate Pieces" (2x04) at 3:29:41.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (2x30) at 1:24:04.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) from 1:23:26 through 1:25:09.
- ↑ See "Refjorged" (2x76) at 4:40:53.
- ↑ See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 2:25:49.
- ↑ See "Refjorged" (2x76) at 4:36:53.
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 2:28:04.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 29:13.
- ↑ See "The Threads Converge" (2x85) at 2:22:45.
- ↑ See "The Threads Converge" (2x85) at 2:25:08.
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (2x10) at 0:40:09. Nott borrows the Ring of Water Walking from Jester, who had been wearing it on her right middle finger.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 1:13:44.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) from 1:11:47 through 1:13:18.
- ↑ See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 1:13:59.
- ↑ See "Divergent Paths" (2x25) at 3:23:01.
- ↑ See "Divergent Paths" (2x25) from 3:28:28 through 3:29:26.
- ↑ See "The Journey Home" (2x30) at 1:19:34.
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) from 3:10:10 through 3:11:53.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 3:30:27.
- ↑ See "Beneath Bazzoxan" (2x66) at 1:10:37.
- ↑ See "The King's Cage" (2x69) at 00:19:00.
- ↑ See "Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) at 11:18.
- ↑ See "A Show of Scrutiny" (2x02) at 2:51:50.
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 1:56:00.
- ↑ See "Homeward Bound" (2x48) at 3:45:11.
- ↑ See "Stalker in the Swamp" (2x21) at 4:17:08.
- ↑ See "Have Bird, Will Travel" (2x23) at 2:08:09.
- ↑ See "Dangerous Liaisons" (2x37) at 1:16:57. Nott steals the black powder keg
- ↑ See "Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) at 1:46:46. Nott throws the keg behind the party fleeing and Caleb hits it with Scorching Rays, causing an explosion
- ↑ See "Duplicity" (2x55) at 4:04:00.
- ↑ See "Causatum" (2x70) at 0:18:00.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72) from 3:32:10 through 3:32:23.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06). Sam notes that Nott has disadvantage on an Investigation check because she is drunk
- ↑ See "The Diver's Grave" (2x44) at 2:43:59. Sam notes that Nott is immune to fear while drunk
- ↑ See "Where The River Goes" (2x15) at 40:20. The Crossbow Expert feat allows Nott to attack with her crossbow in close range without disadvantage.
- ↑ See "The Endless Burrows" (2x50) at 3:29:59. Matt Mercer tells us Nott has 5 extra feet movement because of the 'halfling feat'. This is the only raced based feat Nott could take with this ability.
- ↑ See "Curious Beginnings" (2x01) at 2:50:15. Nott uses Fury of the Small to deal additional damage to a creature larger than herself.
- ↑ 110.0 110.1 See D&D: Volo's Guide to Monsters, 5th ed., p. 119, available online at D&D Beyond.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 4:11:44.
- ↑ See "Waste and Webs" (2x10) at 2:55:28.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 4:11:38.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 2:52:15. Nott casts Mage Hand.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 0:42:31. Nott casts Message.
- ↑ See "The Folding Halls" (2x80) at 3:05:29. Nott casts Shape Water.
- ↑ See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 2:02:29. Nott casts Shocking Grasp.
- ↑ See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 2:15:26. Nott casts Disguise Self.
- ↑ See "Where The River Goes" (2x15) at 2:20:20. Nott casts Feather Fall.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 1:25:18. Nott casts Silent Image.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 2:39:10. Nott casts Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
- ↑ See "The Endless Burrows" (2x50) at 3:29:51. Nott casts Invisibility.
- ↑ See "A Hole In the Plan" (2x42). Nott casts Phantasmal Force.
- ↑ See "Through the Trees" (2x79) at 2:40:09. Nott mentions she knows Spider Climb.
- ↑ See "The Open Road" (2x05) at 1:56:19.
- ↑ See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) at 3:01:53.
- ↑ See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 2:42:00.
- ↑ See "Whispers of War" (2x18) from 2:59:57 through 3:01:27.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 0:31:38.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:33:48.
- ↑ See "O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) at 2:42:12.
- ↑ See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) at 1:26:52. Nott estimates her age being between 6–9 years old.
- ↑ See "A Favor in Kind" (2x16) at 2:54:50.
- ↑ The official art of the campaign depicts Nott as having four fingers.
- ↑ See "The Gentleman's Path" (2x19) at 2:36:15.
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (2x20) from 13:24 through 13:33.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:38:58.
- ↑ See "Found & Lost" (2x26) at 2:58:50.
- ↑ See "Duplicity" (2x55) at 4:03:47.
- ↑ Official 2018 portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ 2019 Official full body portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ 2018 Official full body portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ 2019 Official portrait of Nott, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Official full body portrait of Veth, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott and Mollymauk Tealeaf after the latter caught her rummaging through Fjord's things in "Zemnian Nights" (2x11), by Rebecca Snowden (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott the Brave, by Mintscribbleart (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Luc Brenatto, by my2k (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Nott, by GalacticJonah (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Jester and Nott as detectives, by Nikki Dawes (source). Used with permission.