A legendary longsword with a silvered blade, the Mythcarver resonates with musical tones. It once belonged to the White Duke and many master bards before him. It is one of set of mystical artifacts called the Vestiges of the Divergence.
Before the White Duke died, he gifted the Mythcarver to Kamaljiori, who in turn awarded it to Vox Machina to aid in their fight against the Chroma Conclave. Possession of the Mythcarver passed to Scanlan Shorthalt.
While fighting a pit fiend named Ghurrix in the City of Brass, Scanlan managed to bring the sword to its full power by remembering and acting on his promise to Kaylie that he would stay alive. The glowing blade granted him four consecutive attacks with advantage, thanks to his Cutting Words, with which he slew the fiend.
Weapon (longsword), legendary (requires attunement by a bard)
This incredible silvered blade once belonged to the White Duke himself, and many more master bards before him. It resonates with nearby musical tones.
Dormant State Edit
- The wielder gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
- Whenever the Bardic Inspiration feature is used, the wielder gains advantage on attacks with this weapon until the end of their turn.
Awakened State Edit
- The bonus to attack and damage rolls increases to a +2. In addition, targets damaged with this weapon take an additional 1d6 points of force damage.
- Whenever the wielder uses their Cutting Words feature while wielding this blade, the target has disadvantage on their next saving throw.
Exalted State Edit
- The bonus to attack and damage rolls increases to a +3.
- The wielder can spend an action to let the spirit of the sword overtake them momentarily. They make four melee attacks with this sword, then suffer one point of exhaustion. They cannot use this ability again until they finish a long rest.
- ↑ See "A Name Is Earned" (1x49) at 4:49:37.
- ↑ See "A Name Is Earned" (1x49) at 4:43:16.
- ↑ See "A Name Is Earned" (1x49) at 4:50:22.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #2: 'Brawl in the Arches'" (TMx02) from 32:31 through 34:11.
- ↑ See "Brawl in the Arches" (1x76) from 2:36:15 through 2:41:00.
- ↑ See Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, pg.114-115
- ↑ Sam Riegel shared the item card for the then-awoken form of Mythcarver. (source)