Kraghammer is an underground dwarven citadel that sits atop a mithral mine known as Greyspine Quarry.
Entry into the city by outsiders is forbidden unless they have some sort of political standing and the proper paperwork. The upper levels are filled with dwarves, who are wary of outsiders, but will warm to anyone who will spend coin in their town. The lower levels are home to many businessdwarves, such as smiths and miners. These areas are much less welcoming to foreigners due to dwarves not liking outsiders near areas of financial importance.
Kraghammer is a large city with a population of 43,550. Most of its citizens are dwarves (83%) but there is also a significant portion of gnomes (10%), with various other races making up the rest (7%).
Notable People Edit
Kraghammer, like Emon, also has a city council. There are several major houses within Kraghammer that each control certain aspects of business within the city.
|Adra||NPC||Owner of The Iron Hearth Tavern.|
|Balgus||NPC||Owner of Balgus Brewery and champion of the Iron Hearth Tavern's fighting ring.|
|Blenton Zuurthom||NPC||A noble and architectural savant.|
|Haddi Bronzegrip||NPC||Foredwarf of the Bronzegrip Metalworks who claims to be the wealthiest dwarf in Kraghammer.|
|Herris||NPC||Greyspine Quarry foreman.|
|Lord Steddos Thunderbrand||NPC||Master arcanist and head of House Thunderbrand.|
|Magrim||NPC||Servant of House Greyspine.|
|Nostoc Greyspine||NPC||Head of the Greyspine mining operation and foundries.|
|Wallera Glorenthar||NPC||Former combat trainer of the Carvers, currently on leave due to a scandal within her house.|
|Wyrmhide Thunderbrand||NPC||Commander of a pyromancer brigade.|
|Tremaine||NPC||Owner of The Value of Valor.|
|Ida Mudrake||NPC||A reporter who uncovered corruption in House Glorenthar.|
|Ironkeeper Gradim Greyspine||NPC||Dwarven head of the council and head of Kraghammer for about a decade.|
Known Families And Classes Edit
- The Carvers: The military class who protect the city from attack and uphold the law.
- House Greyspine: Control Greyspine Quarry, head of house is Gradim Greyspine.
- House Thunderbrand: The foremost house in all things magic.
- Balgus's House[: Since Balgus controls the only brewery in Kraghammer. ]
City Description Edit
Kraghammer is a three-tiered cylindrical metropolis carved into the stone of a mountain. The interior features extravagant masonry such as marble columns, archways, bridges, and buttresses, all of which is lit using a reddish-glowing stone. A large metal forge envelopes the center of the city. Stairs and chain elevator systems near the edges of town are used for transportation between the higher and lower sections of Kraghammer.
The lower section of Kraghammer, near the mines, is darker than the upper levels. This area consists of several large structures and a giant domed temple made of flawless bronze in the center with doorways on each side, as well as a very large foundry with giant metal piping that filters off most of the smoke.
Off to the side of this section is the Greyspine Quarry. The mine itself is made up of three deep holes that stretch down under the mountain. The expansion of the city shows in the mine design as well as the appearance that, once a section of the mine is hollowed out, the city slowly seems to expand downwards. Many mining buildings stretch around the center of the quarry. There are also a series of tunnels that go off to the sides of these main tunnels. Unbeknown to the dwarves of Kraghammer, one of these mining tunnels had broken into a cavern system that lead down into the Underdark.
Points of InterestEdit
- Greyspine Manor: Home of the Greyspines, massive structure that is heavily guarded by the Carvers.
- Balgus Brewery: The only brewery in Kraghammer.
The Top SlabEdit
The Top Slab, also called the Arch, is built on a massive ring that sends neighborhoods and tunnels deeper into the mountain around it. Here is where most residential life is rooted, with thousands of stone-built abodes dotting the walls. A fine layer of soot tends to coat much of this slab, due to imperfect ventila tion from the industrious center slab.
- The Firebrook Inn: Inn where Lady Kima stayed.
- The Iron Hearth Tavern: Large central tavern on the west side.
- The Stone's Pillow: Brothel within Kraghammer.
- The Value of Valor: Alchemist and arcane shop.
The Center SlabEdit
The Center Slab, also referred to as the Heart, marks the widest and most varied rung on the journey through Kraghammer, and is stratified between the the residences of Kraghammer's dwarven elite and its wealthy merchant class. At the exact center of the slab-dwarves are very particular about geometrical symbolism-is the Pyrethrin, seat of the Iron Keeper. Radiating out from the Pyrethrone are the various fortress-manors of the dwarven noble houses, with several Carver barracks in easy reach. Just below, the outer rings of the Center Slab are occupied by most of the city's non-mining businesses, from smithies, breweries, and jewelers, to tailors, butchers, and even tinkerers like the gnome-run Crack sackle Union.
- The Hunter's Club: well known as the chief provider for non-imported meats to the city, sending parties atop the mountain or in the nearby Torian Forest for wild game.
- Allhammer's Will: The extravagant marble temple stands on the center slab of the city. Enormous in size and impeccable in detail and architectural design, this hall calls artisans and crafters throughout the city for inspiration.
- Thunderbrand Manor: Home of the Thunderbrands, large structure guarded by magical runes and Carvers.
The Bottom SlabEdit
The Bottom Slab, or the Pit, is the industrious center of Kraghammer, boasting the most blast furnaces per square mile in all of Tal'Dorei, courtesy of the Bronze Metalworks and their competitors. A network of fungus-farming paths called the Glowgrove works its way around this level, passing through all sorts of caverns. The mushrooms are harvested by the Toppers, the dwarven agricultural league that got their name from the small topside farms they tend above the city.
- Bronze Grip Metalworks 
- The Keenstone Quarry: The mithril mine on the lower levels of the city, run by House Greyspine.
"Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01)Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 65.
- ↑ Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 67-68.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 67.
- ↑ Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 68.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 66.
- ↑ See "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01) from 20:17 through 20:54.