Kiri is a kenku child. As an NPC, Kiri is played by Matthew Mercer.
Kiri is a kenku child, about the size of an adolescent human. Her body is covered in black feathers and she does not have wings; rather, she has exceedingly long fingers resembling a crow's primary feathers. She has bright, raven-like eyes and a long beak.
Kiri seems to be a kind and appreciative girl, saddened over losing her family but excited and hopeful that the Mighty Nein would "adopt" her. Kiri has no spoken language (Caleb's Comprehend Languages spell had no effect), communicating instead through clicks, crowing noises, and mimicry. Her mimicry can replicate both the accent and the words of others. Most of the party found her behavior adorable, with Jester being especially enamored.
Kiri has a proclivity for picking up swear words with her mimicry and stabbing dead bodies with the dagger Fjord gave her. Nott views this as evidence that the Mighty Nein's behavior is "corrupting" Kiri.
Kiri was one of four daughters to her parents, who all lived as a family unit somewhere near the valley people. They fled through the swamp to escape the fighting that broke out, where unfortunately, Kiri got trapped in mud and her family were forced to abandon her. This is where she was discovered and saved by Jester. Sadly, the Mighty Nein discovered the remains of several Kenku in the stomach of a crocodile that Jester concludes were probably her sisters, although it would appear that Kiri's parents were able to escape.
"Labenda Awaits" (2x20) Edit
Kiri was first encountered struggling in the swamp and under threat of two fast approaching crocodiles. Due to Jester's initial curiosity and then swift action upon realising the dangerous situation, they managed to save Kiri and 'took her in' for the time being.
"Have Bird, Will Travel" (2x23) Edit
Jester got a detailed description of Kiri's parents but was unable to contact them with her Sending spell.
"The Hour of Honor" (2x24) Edit
Having arrived in Hupperdook, Yasha volunteered to babysit Kiri while the rest of the Mighty Nein continued on exploring, and partaking in a drinking contest. Jester later bought Kiri a music box from Cleff Tinkertop. After discovering the Shuster children, the Nein left Kiri with the kids while they continued on to Gearhold Prison.
"Divergent Paths" (2x25) EditFor her safety, and following a tearful goodbye, Kiri was left in the care of the Shuster family.
"Chases and Trees" (2x65) Edit
Jester messaged Kiri to check on how she was doing and to let her know that the Mighty Nein were thinking about her.
"From Door to Door" (2x81) Edit
While exploring the Folding Halls, the Mighty Nein learned from an outside ally that Hupperdook's factories had been attacked by the Kryn Dynasty. At first Jester was worried for Kiri's safety, but Beau reassured her that the Shuster kids were good at staying out of trouble.
Beau sees Kiri as fragile and thinks that she would probably fare better outside of the Mighty Nein. When Kiri mimicked Beau, Beau was taken aback learning what she sounded like. Leaving Kiri with the Shusters affected Beau more profoundly than she expected, reflecting that the act of first saving the Shusters from prison and then giving Kiri a home among them was the first truly selfless action she'd taken and it felt good.
According to Taliesin, Molly is actively avoiding getting to know Kiri because, much like Beau, he believes that her continued presence is putting her life at risk. In his own words: "He's avoiding Kiri for the same reason why you don't name animals you're going to butcher".
Character Information Edit
Kenku Abilities Edit
Notable Items Edit
Dagger(received from Fjord; later given to Beau)
- Music Box (purchased by Jester from Clef Tinkertop's store)
- "WELCOME TO THE MIGHTY NEIN!" (mimicked from Nott)
- "It's sharp." (mimicked from Fjord)
- "Where do babies come from?" (mimicked from Beau)
- "I am Kiri!" (mimicked from Jester)
- "Yes, I'm very sweet" (mimicked from Jester)
- "Go fuck yourself!" (mimicked from Jester)
- "This means we are friends?" (mimicked from Caleb)
- "I killed people!" (mimicked from Calianna)
- "Don't eat humans, okay?" (mimicked from Jester)
- "Yeza was his name. The halfling man... from before." (mimicked from Nott)
- A full list of Kiri's imitations can be found here from CritRoleStats.
- ↑ Matt confirmed the spelling of Kiri's name on Twitter
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (2x20) at 2:34:07. Kiri writes in common.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 See D&D: Volo's Guide to Monsters, 5th ed., p. 111, available online at D&D Beyond.
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (2x20) at 1:39:00. Kiri goes unconscious from 19 points of damage, meaning she has between 10 and 19 hit points
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #71: 'Have Bird, Will Travel'" (TMx71). Matt claims that Kiri has 6 hit points.
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (2x20) at 2:31:01.
- ↑ See "Labenda Awaits" (2x20) at 2:46:18. Caleb attempts to speak with Kiri.
- ↑ See "Chases and Trees" (2x65) at 3:09:35.
- ↑ See "The Hour of Honor" (2x24) at 2:52:20.
- ↑ Fan art of Kiri, by Megzilla87 (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Kiri holding Frumpkin, by Amy King (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Jester and Kiri saying goodbye, by BlackSalander (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Kiri holding Frumpkin, by Elaine Tipping (source). Used with permission.
- ↑ Fan art of Jester and Kiri, by NLN4 (source). Used with permission.