Critical Role Wiki

This wiki contains spoilers for the entirety of Critical Role and The Legend of Vox Machina. Proceed at your own risk!


Critical Role Wiki
Critical Role Wiki

Gambit of Ord is a popular card game played all across Exandria, and even the planes beyond. The name originated from Marquet, but it is known by many other names, such as Tinder Start on the Plane of Fire.[1] A variant called Fork of the Storm is played in the Lakecap Skyport and Lounge in Yios.[2]


Players place their bets and are dealt a card. After two rounds of raising the bet and being dealt additional cards, players reveal their cards and add their values together. The player with the highest total wins the pot.[3]

Game Mechanics[]

Players roll a d8 and keep the results hidden. Players then choose to raise the bet, call the bet, or fold. This continues until all bets are even. They then roll a d6, also keeping it hidden, and have another round to raise, call, or fold. The remaining players roll a d4. They then reveal the rolls and add them together. Whoever has the highest result wins.[3]

In the variant called Fork of the Storm, play is the same but any duplicate rolls on any dice allow an extra d4 to be rolled. Additional matches on the d4 rolls allow yet another d4 roll, which can continue as long as matches continue to be made.[4]


The Luck's Run casino in Ank'Harel has tables where Gambit of Ord can be played, where the minimum initial buy-in is 50 gp. There the winner gets 80% of the the pot, with the remaining 20% going to the house.[3]

Scanlan Shorthalt played a game of Gambit of Ord against the fire giant Juuraiel in the City of Brass, in an attempt to win the Plate of the Dawnmartyr. He lost all three hands however, two of them by one point, and he and the rest of Vox Machina became her slaves. She offered them the armor and their freedom if they killed the pit fiend Ghurrix.[5]

The Gentleman challenged Fjord to a game of Gambit of Ord when the Mighty Nein originally met him and accepted his job offer. The pot rose to 600 gold, which Fjord won.[6]

Several of Bells Hells played a variant of the game called Fork of the Storm in the Lakecap Skyport and Lounge in Yios. The minimum buy-in was 50 gp and the winner got 80% of the the pot, with the remaining 20% going to the house. Chetney, Fresh Cut Grass, and Fearne played the first hand, with Chetney winning big with maximum rolls on all three of his dice, despite Fearne's cheating.[7] However, in the next game, the dealer won.[8]


  1. See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) at 1:42:42.
  2. See "The City of Flowing Light" (3x42) at 2:13:29.
  3. 3.0 3.1 3.2 Geek and Sundry explains the rules of the Luck's Run games in the article, "Run The Gambling Games of Marquet in Your Own Campaign".
  4. See "The City of Flowing Light" (3x42) at 2:13:29.
  5. See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) from 1:42:42 through 1:59:17.
  6. See "Fleeting Memories" (2x14) from 0:35:01 through 0:40:12.
  7. See "The City of Flowing Light" (3x42) from 2:20:37 through 2:24:17.
  8. See "The City of Flowing Light" (3x42) from 2:39:14 through 2:44:19.