The Elemental Plane of Fire is one of many Planes of Existence in the Critical Role universe. It is connected to Exandria in the Material Plane with at least a few rifts, the best-known of which has been tended by the Ashari for centuries.
- 1 Description
- 2 Connections to the Material Plane
- 3 Notable Locations in the Plane
- 4 History
- 5 References
- 6 External Links
The Plane is an endless badland of broken, burning land and black rock, flaming distant mountains, and a burning orange and red horizon. There are tornadoes of flame tearing through the landscape, and jutting bits of glass-like rock poking from beneath the ground causing beautiful, dangerous, jagged gardens of melted sand. Black clouds of ash rise from multiple volcanos, and the temperature is extremely hot.
Connections to the Material Plane
The Portal in Pyrah
In the region of Othanzia, there is a portal called the "Rift of Flame" that connects the Material Plane to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Long ago, the druids of the Fire Ashari established an enclave, called Pyrah, around the portal. They guard it to maintain balance and protect the world from the energies and elementals of the Fire Plane.
The Cavern of Axiom
In Kamaljiori's chamber in the Cavern of Axiom, there are gateways to Elemental Planes. Keyleth placed her hand into the column of flame marking the gateway to the Elemental Plane of Fire, then Wildshaped into a fire elemental and plunged in.
Notable Locations in the Plane
The City of Brass
The City of Brass is a large settlement within the Plane of Fire. It is populated primarily by those who are native to the Plane, such as efreet, although humanoids from the Material Plane are not uncommon. However, the city has a very prominent slave trade and those humanoids often end up becoming enslaved.
The guards of the city are a group of efreet known as the Illuminated. They enforce a strict curfew, and anyone found breaking it is put in chains.
The Sea of Fire
The Plane features a sea of molten rock and there are "aqueducts" channeling the lava from the sea through the City of Brass. The City of Brass also has naval grounds on the coast of the Sea of Fire.
Planerider Ryn's Study
Thordak Banished to the Plane
When Emon belatedly realized that the rumors of a great red dragon were true, and that Thordak was a threat, the Arcana Pansophical devised a trap that would banish him to the Elemental Plane of Fire.
In "Aramente to Pyrah" (1x22), Vox Machina entered the Elemental Plane of Fire to help Keyleth complete the Fire portion of her Aramenté. Cerkonos provided a challenge for the group to pass, which they did, but not without finding and barely hiding from a colossal red dragon, later revealed to be Thordak.
Sealing the Breach
When the Chroma Conclave freed Thordak from the Elemental Plane of Fire, they created a breach between that plane and the Material Plane through which many elementals were able to escape and wreak havoc. Many of the Fire Ashari druids were slain or injured. Vox Machina, with the help of Gern Blanston, aided the Fire Ashari in sealing the interplanar rift.
The Study of Planerider Ryn
The Mighty Nein briefly visited the Plane of Fire in "Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) when they used a Plane Shift spell scroll gifted to Yussa Errenis by Planerider Ryn to escape from pursuing Dwendalian Empire forces. They remained within the area of Ryn's study, battling the guardian fire elemental, in order to obtain a long rest, returning the next morning to the Prime Material Plane.
Thordak and Serpent's Head
- See "Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) at 1:14:49.
- See "Best Laid Plans..." (1x50) at 18:04.
- See "A Name Is Earned" (1x49) at 4:07:59.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 64.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 70.
- See "Path of Brass" (1x74) at 2:46:54. See also 2:50:45 and 3:50:03.
- See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) at 2:26:15.
- See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) from 1:00:38 through 1:02:28.
- See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) at 18:49.
- See "Where the Cards Fall" (1x75) at 3:06:03.
- See "Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) at 3:01:00.
- See "Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) at 1:18:48.
- See "Desperate Measures" (1x40) from 2:38:01 through 2:40:00.
- See "Desperate Measures" (1x40) at 2:37:14.
- Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 11.
- See "Path of Brass" (1x74) at 3:37:44.
- See "Cindergrove Revisited" (1x46) at 3:07:57.
- Elemental Plane of Fire on the Forgotten Realms Wikia (Forgotten Realms lore is not canon to Critical Role)