Dwarves are stout humanoids renowned for their martial tradition, superior craftsmanship, and the fortresses that they carve beneath the mountains that they call home.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Society
- 3 Powers, Abilities, and Subraces
- 4 Notable dwarves
- 5 References
- 6 External Links
Dwarves are similar to humans, though much more squat and stocky being around 4 ½ feet tall. Despite their size, they weigh almost as much as humans, being around 150 pounds. The most distinctive feature of dwarves are their carefully groomed beards, which grow much longer and faster than those of humans, and can even be grown by women.
Dwarves have the same range of skin tones as humans, though earthen tones such as light brown and deep tan are common. Dwarven hair is usually dark. The Duergar are an exception, typically having dark gray skin and white or maroon hair.
Most dwarves on Tal'Dorei live in the great city of Kraghammer, or are descended from those that did. Mountain dwarves make up the majority of those found within Kraghammer, while hill dwarves are more likely to be found across the cities of the Dividing Plains.
Deep beneath the Cliffkeep Mountains lies the duergar fortress of Emberhold. The gray dwarves there continuously launch raiding parties against the dwarves of Kraghammer, hoping to destroy them from the bottom up.
In the Dwendalian Empire, dwarven society has two points of origin. The mountain dwarves of Grimgolir are prized for their soldiers and their mines, so much so that they were granted unprecedented autonomy when they were inducted into the Empire. Meanwhile, the hill dwarves of Pride's Call carve out a more agrarian lifestyle, while cultivating the priceless pride silk from the caverns beneath.
Dwarves are rare within Xhorhas and the few that are there are duergar. Some can be found living among the Kryn Dynasty, though most live deep beneath the surface within the Underdark, striking against the Dynasty in an attempt to carve out their own underground dominion.
Dwarves are also relatively rare in the Menagerie Coast, and most of the dwarves in that region are visitors from the Empire or sailors from other continents. There are legends of an ancient dwarven society that worshiped Kord in the Cyrios Mountains, which have granted dwarves a reputation along the coast for passion and intensity. There is one notable dwarf in Concordian society, Marquis Alamads Haddou of Port Zoon.
Powers, Abilities, and Subraces
Dwarves are renowned for their mighty constitution, to the point that they are resistant to poison. Thanks to their subterranean delves, dwarves are capable of seeing in dim light and darkness. Many dwarves also train with axes and hammers, in order to help defend their clan.
Mountain Dwarf Traits
Mountain dwarves are the strongest among dwarvenkind, and following their martial tradition, train in the use of light and medium armor.
Hill Dwarf Traits
Hill dwarves are wisest among dwarves, and are often the heartiest as well.
Gray Dwarf Traits
The duergar live deeper beneath the earth than any other dwarf, so much so that their darkvision is superior to other dwarves. However, they are unused to the light of the sun, and have difficulty seeing outside on sunny days. Most duergar have innate psionic abilities, allowing them to shrug off magic, beguilement, and paralysis, and can see through many illusions. Duergar are also capable of doubling their size for a short time, as well as cloaking themselves in invisibility.
- Hazel Copperpot: A bard from Hupperdook and member of the Darrington Brigade.
- Thorbir Falbek: A notoriously unlucky fighter and guild member of the Slayer's Take.
- Tova: A werebear blood hunter who helped Vox Machina on their journey through the City of Dis.
- Gradim Greyspine: Ironkeeper of Kraghammer.
- King Murghol: King of the duergar of Emberhold.
- Drake Thunderbrand: Elementalist and member of the Arcana Pansophical.
- Queen Ulara: Queen of the duergar of Emberhold.
- Keg: Fighter from Shadycreek Run who helped the Mighty Nein rescue their companions from the Iron Shepherds.
- Dariax Zaveon: Criminal, divine soul sorcerer, and member of the adventuring party that faced a new threat in the areas around Emon corrupted by Thordak.
- Official art of dwarves, by Ari from "Exandria: An Intimate History" (Sx61) at 0:58. Used with permission.
- A duergar, a mountain dwarf, and a hill dwarf, by Bryan Syme ([Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 22 source]). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Lorenzo tormenting Keg, by Hugo Cardenas (source). Used with permission.