Deirta Thelyss is an Umavi, a "perfect soul" revered in the Kryn Dynasty, and the leader of Den Thelyss of Rosohna, one of the Dynasty's three ruling Dens. Under her guidance, Den Thelyss wishes to see the Dynasty established within the world and respected by others. Deirta is the mother of Essek Thelyss and Verin Thelyss. Matthew Mercer described her as "deeply steeped" in Dynasty culture.
Appearances and mentions
- In "Bathhouses and Bastions" (2x90), the Mighty Nein realize that they never asked Essek about his personal life. They specifically point out they do not know his mother's name, a reference to when Scanlan Shorthalt asks his friends in "A Bard's Lament" (1x85) for his mother's name, knowing that they do not know. Essek does not answer the question over Sending, but he answers in the subsequent episode when it is posed to him again in person.
- As both Essek and Verin are drow, Deirta was also drow when they were born. However, due to the nature of consecution, it is unclear if she is still a drow during the events of Campaign 2. It is possible that she currently inhabits a body of another race if she died after Verin was born, though it is unlikely that she has since died as Essek remarks he has never raised a parent.
- Deirta was a drow at the time of Essek's birth, then Verin's. Her current race is unclear.
- See "Stone to Clay" (2x91) at 0:23:06.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 144. Chapter 3: Wildemount Gazetteer. "Rosohna: Government". Den Thelyss is described as being led by an Umavi, who is likely to be Deirta.
- See "Stone to Clay" (2x91) at 25:48.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 41. Chapter 2: Factions and Societies. "Kryn Dynasty: Figures of Interest". Verin is described as Essek's brother, implying that he is also Deirta's son.
- See "Critical Role Campaign 2 Wrap Up" (Sx56) at 1:37:15. Matt discusses Verin.
- See "Bathhouses and Bastions" (2x90) from 3:42:19 through 3:43:45.
- See "Stone to Clay" (2x91) at 0:59:57. Essek remarks that he has never raised a parent.