Consecution is a ritual practiced by the Kryn Dynasty, attaching a soul to one of the beacons of the Luxon. When a consecuted creature dies within one hundred miles of a beacon, their soul does not move on to the Outer Planes, but rather relocates into a newborn infant within one hundred miles of the beacon in question. Around adolescence, the creature carrying the relocated soul begins to remember their past life, strongly drawning toward Xhorhas and the source of its returning memories. This process of anamnesis can be accelerated with meditation practices perfected by the Dynasty. When a soul is reborn, it doesn't replace an existing soul, but becomes the original soul of the infant.
A consecuted soul can eventually reach a state known as Umavi, indicating perfection. While consecution doesn't cause insanity, there are rumors that very old Umavi can be overwhelmed by too many lifetimes' memories, causing behavioral issues.
While there is no way to "unconsecute" a soul, a condemned person can be executed outside the range of the hundred-mile range of the beacons to ensure that their soul isn't reborn.
- Bright Queen Leylas Kryn
- Quana Kryn
- Caelestis Kryn
- Abrianna Mirimm
- Deirta Thelyss
- Irvan Wastewalker
- While it's specified that the consecuted souls in a Luxon beacon only incarnate in humanoid babies, said limitation isn't applied to the creatures that can be consecuted, and non-humanoid beings like ogres (which are considered giants) are a part of the Kryn Dynasty.
- It is possible that the limitation of humanoids in the process of rebirth was established, rule-wise, because back then there weren't official playable races that weren't humanoid.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 268.
- See "Explorer's Guide to Wildemount Q&A and Fireside Chat with Matthew Mercer" (Sx53) at 1:34:17.
- See "Explorer's Guide to Wildemount Q&A and Fireside Chat with Matthew Mercer" (Sx53) at 1:33:40.
- See "Explorer's Guide to Wildemount Q&A and Fireside Chat with Matthew Mercer" (Sx53) at 1:29:51.
- See "Explorer's Guide to Wildemount Q&A and Fireside Chat with Matthew Mercer" (Sx53) at 1:31:14.
- See "In Love and War" (2x57) at 0:29:00.
- See "Talks Machina #137: 'Lingering Wounds' & 'Bathhouses and Bastions'" (TMx137) from 0:54:57 through 0:56:00.
- See The Tales of Exandria: The Bright Queen, Issue #4.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 41.
- See "Stone to Clay" (2x91) at 0:23:06. Dierta must be consecuted if she is an Umavi.
- See "Feral Business" (2x52) at 1:09:09.
- See "Lost & Found" (2x13) at 0:52:01. "I have lived four lifetimes. As long as the beacons remain, me and my people will live more."
- See Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep, pp. 11–14.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 142.
- See "Talks Machina #106: 'In Love and War'" (TMx106) at 46:13. Consecuted individuals can be reborn in a body of any species