The Clay Family is one of three ancient clans, along with the Stone Family and Dust Family, who descend from champions of The Matron of Ravens. The Clay Family protects the Blooming Grove from the cursed blight that has overtaken the Savalirwood and has been encroaching on the Blooming Grove for the last hundred years.
Some members of the family are clerics, but not all. One of Caduceus' sisters created his green beetle armor. Caduceus’ siblings also helped him make his beetle staff, since they have some skills that Caduceus does not. Caduceus' relationship with his family is positive, albeit one with typical levels of pranks and sibling rivalries.
Father of Caduceus, Clarabelle, Colton, and Calliope. Cornelius is a large older firbolg, similar in appearance to Caduceus, though a bit thicker and portlier, with gray hair braided on either side of his face and dangling in tufts at the bottom that have a bit of jewelry.
Mother of Caduceus, Clarabelle, Colton, and Calliope. Constance is an older female firbolg with hair short on the sides almost like a soft mohawk that braids into a single long braid down the back.
Calliope Clay Edit
Sister of Caduceus. She is in her mid-teens, bright-eyed, with long stringy hair past her shoulders stained in a variety of different colors. She appears to be the unkempt wild kid of the family.
- → Main article: Caduceus Clay.
Caduceus is the second youngest of the Clay siblings.
The Clay Family are descended from one of the three champions of The Matron of Ravens named Clay, Stone, and Dust. The three champions debated what to do with the body of a hero of a recent conflict, whose body could not be maintained within a city for unknown reasons. The Matron of Ravens told them to seek instruction from The Wildmother, saying she had taken what was hers already, and that she had no domain over what remained. The Wildmother instructed Clay to take the head of the hero to a spring deep in the Savalirwood, and a beautiful grove would grow as a gift to The Archeart. The other two champions took parts of the body as gifts for the Changebringer and The Allhammer, creating a garden menagerie (Stone) and a kiln (Dust).
The descendants of these heroes protect and care for their sacred locations to this day, occasionally making pilgrimages to the other families when the need is dire. All three families assist the families of those who have died with funeral rites, each burying the bodies in their own way: the Clay family buries the dead in the Blooming Grove, and the Dust family cremate the dead.
The entire Clay family save Caduceus had left the Blooming Grove in pursuit of a way to "cure" the Savalirwood of a mysterious blight, but they had not returned and left Caduceus all alone at the Grove.
"Within the Nest" (2x28)Edit
Caduceus believed that the arrival of the Mighty Nein was a sign from The Wildmother that he needed to leave to discover the source of the corruption. This causes him to join the Mighty Nein and left the grove to Nila, who promised that her clan would look after the temple in absence of a Clay.
"The Second Seal" (2x47)Edit
"Clay and Dust" (2x72)Edit
The Mighty Nein arrived at the kiln in Kravaraad within the Greying Wildlands, where Caduceus met the Dust Family for the first time. He learns that his aunt, mother and sister had came through and continued their quest in search for green glass at the Stone Family.
"Family Shatters" (2x96)Edit
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 2:19:33. Caduceus says Corrin mentioned finding other temples to The Wildmother before leaving.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 3:43:56.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 1:33:28.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72) at 1:49:00. Jeramiz Dust says that Constance, Corrin and Colton came to the Kiln a few years before the Mighty Nein.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 1:35:37.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 1:33:55.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 1:33:47.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72) at 2:35:00. Taliesin clarifies with Matt which of Caduceus's relatives came to the Kiln previously.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 2:37:22. "the petrified bodies of Colton and Clarabelle, your elder brother and sister"
- ↑ See "Cornered" (2x53) at 1:06:33.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 3:31:44. "Clarabelle, who is visibly younger than Caduceus." It is unknown if the ten years Clarabelle spent as stone accounts for the apparent age difference, or if she actually is younger.
- ↑ See "Family Shatters" (2x96) at 3:31:51.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #143: 'Family Shatters'" (TMx143) at 0:41:51.
- ↑ See "Causatum" (2x70) at 3:31:00.
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71).
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) from 1:05:00 through 1:06:42.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) at 3:51:03.
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) at 3:20:20.
- ↑ See "Duplicity" (2x55) from 4:07:28 through 4:08:10.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72).