The Clay Family is one of three ancients clans, along with the Stone family and Dust Family, who descend from a Champion of The Matron of Ravens named Clay. They protect the Blooming Grove from the cursed blight that has overtaken the Savalirwood and has been encroaching on the Blooming Grove for the last hundred years.
Some members of the family are clerics, but not all. One of Caduceus' sisters created his green beetle armor. Caduceus’ siblings also helped him make his beetle staff, since they have some skills that Caduceus does not. Caduceus' relationship with his family is positive, albeit one with typical levels of pranks and sibling rivalries.
- Cornelius Clay
- Corrin Clay
- Unnamed female Clay
The Clay Family are descended from one of the three champions of The Matron of Ravens named Clay. The three champions debated what to do with the body of a hero of a recent conflict, whose body could not be maintained within a city for unknown reasons. The Matron of Ravens told them to seek instruction from The Wildmother, saying she had taken what was hers already, and that she had no domain over what remained. The Wildmother instructed Clay to take the head of the hero to a spring deep in the Savalirwood, and a beautiful grove would grow as a gift to The Archeart. The other two champions took parts of the body as gifts for the Changebringer and The Allhammer.
The descendants of these heroes protect and care for their sacred locations to this day, occasionally making pilgrimages to the other families when the need is dire. All three families assist the families of those who have died with funeral rites, each burying the bodies in their own way: the Clay family buries the dead in the Blooming Grove, and the Dust family cremate the dead.
Almost the whole Clay family had all left the Blooming Grove in pursuit of a way to "cure" the Savalirwood of a mysterious blight, but they never returned and left Caduceus all alone at the Grove.
"Within the Nest" (2x28)Edit
Caduceus believed that the arrival of the Mighty Nein was a sign from The Wildmother that he needed to leave to discover the source of the corruption. This causes him to join the Mighty Nein and left the grove to Nila, who promised that her clan would look after the temple in absence of a Clay.
"The Second Seal" (2x47)Edit
"Clay and Dust" (2x72)Edit
The Mighty Nein arrived at the kiln in Kravaraad within the Greying Wildlands, where Caduceus met the Dust Family for the first time. He learns that his aunt, mother and sister had came through and continued their quest in search for green glass at the Stone Family.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #96: 'The Second Seal'" (TMx96).
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72) at 1:49:00. Jeramiz Dust says that Constance, Corrin and Colton came to the Kiln a few years before the Mighty Nein.
- ↑ See "Cornered" (2x53) at 1:06:33.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72) at 2:35:00. Taliesin clarifies with Matt which of Caduceus's realtives came to the Kiln previously.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) at 1:05:19.
- ↑ See "A Game of Names" (2x49) at 2:37:21. Caduceus says Corrin mentioned finding other temples to The Wildmother before leaving.
- ↑ See "Talks Machina #108: 'Perspective'" (TMx108).
- ↑ See "Family Gathering" (2x71).
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) from 1:05:06 through 1:06:42.
- ↑ See "Within the Nest" (2x28) at 4:09:06.
- ↑ See "The Second Seal" (2x47) at 3:38:36.
- ↑ See "Duplicity" (2x55) from 4:07:28 through 4:08:10.
- ↑ See "Clay and Dust" (2x72).