The Cerberus Assembly is a faction described by Pumat Sol as including the most powerful magic users in the Dwendalian Empire. This organization has most of its members centered in Rexxentrum with others scattered through the continent.
Those not allied with the Assembly seem wary of their growing power. The Assembly and the Cobalt Soul are often at odds with each other. Those allied with the Assembly, such as Pumat Sol, claim that they keep the Crown in check and prevent abuses of power. Their members have allegedly promoted learning in the middle to lower classes in Zadash.
Some mages of the Cerberus Assembly are involved in law enforcement of the Dwendalian Empire, serving as interrogators and executioners. Assembly members are also involved in protecting the Empire against foreign invasions.
History[edit | edit source]
The name "Cerberus Assembly" is a reference to a group of powerful mages that existed during the Age of Arcanum. However, the current faction took the name as inspiration and is unaffiliated with the group.
Around 570 PD, there was a war of Mage Houses within the Dwendalian Empire that nearly destroyed part of Rexxentrum, in an event subsequently known as "The Eve of Crimson Midnight". As part of the ceasefire, as opposed to being imprisoned, the Mage Houses agreed to bind themselves to the Empire. The Cerberus Assembly was established as a power under rule of the king. It has since flourished, helping the Empire rise to power by conquering the Julous Dominion.
The Assembly and the Cobalt Soul have worked in an antagonistic lockstep for the better part of a century, since the inception of the Assembly. They do not outwardly show aggression towards each other, but have maintained a series of checks and balances. Both sides have done what they can to curb the influence of the other and prevent the other from achieving internal goals that went against the needs and wants of their own faction. They also work together at times out of necessity, both publicly and behind the scenes. Sometimes they maintain a relationship of frustrated convenience, and at other times, a subversive antagonism.
Symbols[edit | edit source]
The symbol of the Cerberus Assembly consists of three diamond-like shapes pointed inward toward themselves representing the three heads of the Assembly, and underneath, eight spires that curl up around it representing The Candles, the eight towers that encircle the stronghold where the King sits.
Members and Operations[edit | edit source]
Archmages[edit | edit source]
- Martinet Ludinus Da'leth: Archmage of Domestic Protections - Oldest of the original assembly that still lives and considered the leader of the assembly. He is the master of warfare and conflict.
- Trent Ikithon: Archmage of Civil Influence - The propagandist and constructor of the face of the Empire in upper echelon circles. He is also entrusted with selecting and training students for the Volstrucker.
- Baroness Jenna Iresor: Archmage of Industry - One of the youngest members of the Assembly. Described as "unique but a bit distracted" by Yussa Errenis.
- Master Doolan Tversky: Archmage of Dysology - In charge of the study and understanding of abnormal creatures and deviants of arcane creation that might threaten the empire's way of life.
- Lord Athesius Uludan: Archmage of Diplomatic Union - Described as "a buffoon" by Yussa Errenis. His duty is to foster a positive relationship with people of power both within and beyond the borders of the empire.
- Headmaster Zivan Margolin: Archmage of Conscription - He is the Headmaster of the Soltryce Academy in Rexxentrum in charge of the curriculum and watching for any latent powers that may be worth grooming as future allies of the Assembly, dangers to be monitored, or prospective minds for Ikithon to conscribe into the Volstrucker.
- Headmaster Oremid Hass: Archmage of Cultivation - Headmaster of the Hall of Erudition in Zadash tasked with watching and grooming the next generation of mages and arcane specialists outside Rexxentrum.
The Annexes[edit | edit source]
Directly beneath the eight chief mages of the Assembly are their deputies and assistants, known as annexes.
- Vence Nuthaleus: Annex to Ludinus Da'leth
- Zana Deelio: Annex to Ludinus Da'leth
- Pumat Sol: Owner of The Invulnerable Vagrant, a shop selling magical items and spell scrolls in Zadash. Pumat described himself as an annex to the Cerberus Assembly, and was put through the wringer by Vess DeRogna when she found out he was holding up some urgent business.
Former Members[edit | edit source]
- Vess DeRogna: Archmage of Antiquity - Served as the expert historian for the Assembly. She replaced her criminal predecessor Delilah Briarwood in the position, before being assassinated by Lucien in her suite in Balenpost.
- Delilah Briarwood: Archmage of Antiquity - Ousted from the Assembly for illegal necromantic experimentation through an investigation led by the Cobalt Soul.
- Lord Symon Vergesson: Founder and namesake of the Vergesson Sanatorium, now deceased.
The Wind of Aeons [edit | edit source]
The Assembly maintains a small sailing ship, the Wind of Aeons. It is built of redwood in a style very visibly different to most other ships, and carries the Cerberus Assembly flag. Rarely used, it is nonetheless beautifully made with golden inlays along the edge of the deck and handles, designed to create an impression when the Assembly does go to sea.
References[edit | edit source]
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 41.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, pp. 16–The Eve of Crimson midnight occurred around a quarter of a century after the Marrow War ended in 545 PD.
- Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, pp. 42-43–Alignments of the Archmages. Only one out of eight is considered "Good".
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 1:30:51.
- See "Steam and Conversation" (2x09) at 1:04:19. Members of the Knights of Requital complain about the Cerberus Assembly.
- See "Unwanted Reunions" (2x88) at 4:06:16.
- See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) at 00:52:10.
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18).
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 3:39:13.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 41.
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18) at 3:39:53.
- See "Unwanted Reunions" (2x88) at 4:06:16.
- See "A Tangled Web" (2x77) at 3:11:49.
- See "Whispers of War" (2x18) from 3:40:00 through 3:41:43. Caleb reads about the Cerberus Assembly at the Cobalt Soul
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 42.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 43.
- See "A Tangled Web" (2x77) at 2:32:00. "Marquis" was a temporary title.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 0:39:33.
- See "Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) at 0:39:38.
- See "A Tangled Web" (2x77) at 2:16:28.
- See "A Tangled Web" (2x77) at 3:04:26.
- See "Solace Between the Secrets" (2x118) at 3:17:23.
- See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) at 3:14:46.
- See "Zemnian Nights" (2x11) at 0:41:51.
- See "The Chase Begins" (2x112) from 1:57:48 through 2:04:30.
- See "An Open Window" (2x114) at 2:24:27.
- See "Unwanted Reunions" (2x88) at 4:07:55.
- See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 0:26:31.
- See "The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) at 0:41:47.