Campaign Two is the second campaign of Critical Role. It takes place beginning in Sydenstar, 835 P.D., approximately twenty years after the adventures of Vox Machina. The returning cast plays all-new characters and features the continent of Wildemount as its primary setting. In the eighth episode, the adventuring party adopted the name "The Mighty Nein".
|Laura Bailey||Jester Lavorre||Tiefling||Cleric (Trickery Domain)|
|Taliesin Jaffe||Mollymauk "Molly" Tealeaf||Tiefling (Devil's Tongue)||Blood Hunter (Order of the Ghostslayer)|
|Caduceus Clay||Firbolg||Cleric (Grave Domain)|
|Kingsley Tealeaf||Tiefling (Devil's Tongue)||Blood Hunter (Order of the Ghostslayer)|
|Ashley Johnson||Yasha Nydoorin||Aasimar (Fallen)||Barbarian (Path of the Zealot)|
|Liam O'Brien||Caleb Widogast||Human (Variant)||Wizard (School of Transmutation)|
|Marisha Ray||Beauregard "Beau" Lionett||Human (Variant)||Monk (Way of the Cobalt Soul)|
|Sam Riegel||Nott the Brave||Goblin||Rogue (Arcane Trickster), Wizard|
|Veth Brenatto||Halfling (Lightfoot)|
|Travis Willingham||Fjord||Half-Orc||Warlock (Hexblade; Pact of the Blade), Paladin (Oath of the Open Sea)|
|Matthew Mercer||The Dungeon Master|
Story arc summaries
→ Main article: The Adventures of the Mighty Nein
|Story arc||First episode||Last episode|
|Arc 1: Come Together||"Curious Beginnings" (2x01)||"Divergent Paths" (2x25)|
|Seven disparate individuals first meet by chance in the sleepy town of Trostenwald, but they quickly become involved in an investigation after a zombie attacks the recently arrived traveling carnival. Out of necessity, they come together as a group, calling themselves the Mighty Nein and setting off north. In the aftermath of the attack on the Zauber Spire, they find themselves exploring the underbelly of Zadash, gambling their fates with the Gentleman, and riding across the swamps of Berleben before engaging in merriment and mayhem among the folks of Hupperdook, oblivious to their soon-to-be changing fortunes.|
|Arc 2: The Bad Guys||"Found & Lost" (2x26)||"The Second Seal" (2x47)|
|The Mighty Nein scramble to recover those who were lost, and the attempt bears a heavy cost and an unexpected gain. Then, in pursuit of clues as to Fjord's mysterious patron, the party arrives in Nicodranas, the home of Jester. But their respite is short-lived as their adventure sets sail to the seas, where both answers and dangers lurk from above and beneath.|
|Arc 3: The Bright Queen's Favor||"Homeward Bound" (2x48)||"The King's Cage" (2x69)|
|The Mighty Nein return to the mainland and travel deep into Xhorhas in search of the missing Yeza. Upon finding an "anchor" to the Abyss, the party earns the favor of the Bright Queen Leylas Kryn. From their new home base in the capital of Rosohna, they continue their search for answers and in the course of their chase, they end up losing one of their own to Obann, a servant of the Chained Oblivion.|
|Arc 4: Swords and Angels||"Causatum" (2x70)||"Stone to Clay" (2x91)|
|The Mighty Nein seeks to free Yasha from Obann's control while Fjord struggles to free himself from Uk'otoa's. Meanwhile, the Angel of Irons cult has their own plans to release their god. Complicating things further, the party finds themselves drawn deeper into the tangled webs of intrigue between the Dwendalian Empire and the Kryn Dynasty with the fates of both territories hanging in the balance.|
|Arc 5: Family Ties||"Home is Where the Heart Is" (2x92)||"The Chase Begins" (2x112)|
|With a tentative cease-fire in place, the Mighty Nein make time within their hectic schedules to plan for Traveler Con and to catch up with their own separated families and former friends. Soon after peace is apparently made a reality, the party finally arrives at the long-awaited destination of Rumblecusp for the event that Jester and the Traveler spent half a year preparing for. However, they discover more secrets, oddities, and threats than expected, including the potential loss of their own memories and selves and an even more chilling omen on the horizon.|
|Arc 6: Weird Magic||"A Heart Grown Cold" (2x113)||"Fond Farewells" (2x141)|
|The Mighty Nein pursue a familiar face north to Eiselcross toward the ruins of the ancient magocracy of Aeor. The cold circumstances lead to even colder complications, however, with knowledge of an encroaching threat from the distant past threatening to return: the Somnovem. Armed with this knowledge, the Mighty Nein consolidate their alliances and goals, travel across the land and even the planes, and engage in a desperate race against time that will determine the fate of their home and those they hold dear.|
Before the campaign began airing, most of the players participated in a session 0 with Matt so that they could get a feel for their characters and the setting they would be playing in.
The first part of the second campaign was live streamed on the Geek & Sundry Twitch channel and YouTube, on Thursdays at 7pm (Pacific Time). In February 2019, Critical Role parted ways with Geek & Sundry, launched their own Twitch and YouTube channels, and started to self-produce new shows and content under the name Critical Role Productions LLC. Eventually the live broadcasts of Critical Role and VODs aired exclusively on Critical Role's channels. Episodes are archived on the Critical Role website and the Critical Role and Geek & Sundry YouTube channels.
On 17 March 2020, Critical Role announced that it was suspending all live broadcasts of both the D&D stream Critical Role and Talks Machina due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Critical Role returned in a prerecorded format on 2 July 2020 with the broadcast of "Hunted at Sea" (2x100).
- For Campaign 2, ability scores were determined during character creation using the standard method described in the Player's Handbook: roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die. Matthew Mercer implemented a house rule that if sum of all ability scores for a player was less than 70, then that player had the option to reroll all scores. They could rearrange the scores as desired.
- Laura Bailey's character, Jester, previously appeared in two one-shot adventure. However, this was her first appearance in a Critical Role production.
- Several characters from The Campaign of Vox Machina have also appeared in Campaign Two, including Captain Adella, Allura Vysoren, Artagan, Kent Plucker, Keyleth, and Lady Kima of Vord. Additionally, the book The Daring Trials and Tribulations of Sir Taryon Darrington has also appeared.
- This campaign was the first to use an animated opening sequence.
- See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) at 1:29:07. Matt states that the date is the 12th of Fessuran. In-game, the campaign started approximately a month earlier.
- Matthew Mercer clarified via Twitter that the second campaign starts in 835 P.D.
- See "The Gates of Zadash" (2x08) at 1:03:18.
- Spangler, Todd (March 8, 2019). "Critical Role Team, After Record-Breaking Fan Crowdfunding Response, Vows to Make 'The Best Goddamn Cartoon Anyone Has Ever Seen'". Variety. Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- The tweet announcing the hiatus and Critical Role's website post.
- YouTube video of the announcement.
- Matthew Mercer explained the houserule for rolling stats during character creation (source 1 and source 2).