- 1 Description
- 2 Biography
- 2.1 Background
- 2.2 Chapter 11
- 2.3 Chapter 12
- 2.4 Chapter 13
- 2.5 Chapter 14
- 2.6 Chapter 15
- 2.7 Chapter 16
- 2.8 Chapter 17
- 2.9 Chapter 18
- 2.10 Chapter 19
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Character Information
- 4.1 Quests
- 4.2 Notable Items
- 4.3 Former Items
- 4.4 Abilities
- 4.4.1 Feats
- 4.4.2 Firbolg Abilities
- 4.4.3 Cleric Abilities
- 4.4.4 Domain Spells
- 4.4.5 Cleric Spells
- 5 Quotations
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Concept Art
- 8 External Links
- 9 References
Caduceus is a seven foot tall "not necessarily healthily thin" firbolg with pale skin and grey fur. He has a shock of pink mohawk hair paired with a light fuzz of a beard. He wears a gentle silk shirt with one long flowy sleeve, dark green pants, and brown boots spotted with pink lichen.
During the battle with Cree in the tunnels beneath Cognouza, Caduceus acquired a red eye in the center of his clavicle. He received another on his abdomen while trying and failing to create a passageway to follow the Somnovem, and a third on his left shoulder during the battle with Lucien, the Neo-Somnovem. All of these eyes disappeared following Lucien's defeat.
Caduceus is jovial and dedicated. Long after his family abandoned the crypt they tended, he remained to ensure that the graves of the dearly departed remained undisturbed while cultivating the plants that grew from those interred there, seemingly for personal use. Kind and welcoming, he offered The Mighty Nein (then his house guests) tea before they even introduced themselves. Caduceus often finds something positive to say about situations that others see as all negative. He enjoys seeing parts of the world and nature different from where he grew up. He also enjoys ghost stories.
Caduceus is also humorously blunt; as a follower of the Wildmother, he believes in the "natural order" and happily informed Beau that the leaves for their tea grew from the dead. He considered gauging time in seasons the only method that mattered. It is due to his belief in the natural order that he can be rather indifferent at times to the killing of enemies, as death is a part of life, and often will Decompose the bodies afterwards.
For the Mighty Nein, Caduceus often acts as a sounding board and kind ear for the troubles of the group. He considers it his job to comfort the group and take care of them. He believes he is there to guide them towards their purpose, even if neither he nor they knows what it is yet. He is quick to make tea and food to give to others as a way of comfort. Caduceus is best known for his remarkable perception. While not the most intelligent person, he makes up for it with constant, nigh-clairvoyant insight.
Having spent some time with the Mighty Nein, and now considering each of them close friends, has revealed a darker, more protective side of Caduceus. In learning of Caleb's history with Trent Ikithon, Caduceus offered to kill him if he threatened Caleb, which the others eagerly agreed with.
Caduceus lived with his family at the sanctuary-like graveyard of the Blooming Grove. Located within the depths of the Savalirwood, it was known by those of Shadycreek Run to the southeast as the Bone Orchard. Predating Shadycreek Run, and surrounded by the cursed blighted woods, the old stone church that stood there was surrounded by three consecutive rings of rusted fence built to hold back the continually encroaching razor-like grey-purple thorn vines, which had just breached the third fence in 835 P.D.
Taking out the Iron Shepherds
"Within the Nest" (2x28) Beau, Caleb, Keg, Nila, and Nott went to the Blooming Grove to see if the "strange priest" living there could help them fight the Iron Shepherds. Caduceus opened the door to the temple and offered the group tea. Nila was excited to meet another firbolg and asked for a hug. Caduceus cheerfully hugged her, invited everyone inside, and served them tea. The group asked him if he could resurrect someone. Caduceus told them he could heal; but once someone was dead, there was a natural order to things. They told him about how the Iron Shepherds have killed their friend and have put people (including a firbolg child) in cages.
The group asked Caduceus about his skills. He told them his family has been protecting the Blooming Grove from the Savalirwood corruption. All the rest of his family have left trying to find the source of it. None of have come back.
Keg asked why Caduceus still stayed if there was nothing left to guard. Caduceus had been waiting for some people to tag along with so he could leave as well. Nila offered to have some of her tribe keep the temple while Caduceus is gone. Caduceus was very excited to be asked to come along with the group. He already had his things packed. After spending a moment walking around to take in his home, Caduceus left with the Mighty Nein.
Caduceus helped the group's movement through the Savalirwood to the Sour Nest by politely asking the trees to grant them passage. While the group was debating a plan to get inside, he refocused the discussion by asking them what their priority was. They came up with a plan to split the party. Caduceus teamed up with Keg and Nott. Each group quietly killed one guard on the wall. Caduceus cast Disguise Self to look like the dead guard as the party continued inside.
After clearing out the ground floor, Beau and Caduceus drew a guard who was torturing someone in the basement up to the ground floor. The rest of the party ambushed the guard as he came up from the trapdoor, instantly killing him. Nila was able to rescue her family, and before leaving, she promised Caduceus the Guiatao Clan would look after his temple in the Blooming Grove.
"The Stalking Nightmare" (2x29) Caduceus aided the rest of the party in taking out the remaining Iron Shepherds, including Lorenzo, and rescuing their abducted friends.
"The Journey Home" (2x30) Caduceus met Fjord and Jester. He tried to comfort them when they learned of Molly's death by telling them it's great that their friends cared enough to save them. He made breakfast and tea for everyone the next morning. He decided to continue traveling with the Mighty Nein because he believed the Wildmother wanted him to go east.
On the way to Zadash, Caduceus cast Decompose on Molly's body and promised the Mighty Nein the earth would remember Molly. He said that if they came back later, something would be growing there.
In the Evening Nip, the Mighty Nein introduced Caduceus to The Gentleman. Caduceus agreed to give The Gentleman his blood in the same way as the rest of the Mighty Nein. Caduceus tried milk, whiskey, and several other drinks for the first time. They all tasted terrible to him.
"Commerce & Chaos" (2x31) Caduceus went with Beau, Caleb, and Jester to The Invulnerable Vagrant to meet Pumat Sol and his simulacra for the first time. Both Caduceus and the Pumats were excited to meet another firbolg in the city.  Caduceus and Jester continued shopping. Caduceus bought materials for making healing potions, diamonds, garlic and other spices, new cookware including tea kettle, and a straw hat.
"Beyond the Boundaries" (2x32) Caduceus attuned with the dodecahedron for the first time, receiving a mote of possibility. As the Mighty Nein were travelling through the Wuyun Gorge, Caduceus heard muttering ahead, and warned the party that there were giants. The Mighy Nein successfully dispatched both of the ettins who were waiting to ambush them.
"The Ruby and the Sapphire" (2x33) The party spent an afternoon on the beach before visiting the Ruby of the Sea. This was Caduceus' first time seeing the ocean, and he spent the afternoon swimming and building sand castles. That night, Jester introduced the Nein to her mother. The next day, a few of the party, including Caduceus, went to the Mother's Lighthouse, where Gladys, the Lightkeeper, was a follower of Melora and admitted them because Caduceus was, too.
"Encroaching Waters" (2x34) In the battle within the Sluice Weave, Caduceus was very nearly killed when he was knocked unconscious twice while whelmed by a water elemental. However, Jester healed him back to consciousness both times. Caduceus healed Caleb when he was also knocked unconscious.
"Dockside Diplomacy" (2x35) Caduceus repeatedly cast Turn Undead on the spectre Fjord summoned. Caduceus aided the party in intimidating Algar by casting Decompose on his severed hand. Caduceus swam to retrieve the boat the Nein had borrowed to enter the Sluice gate, and cast Calm Emotions on himself as he swam. He returned the boat to its owner, and told the fisherman that he'd had enough ocean for a while.
That evening, the Mighty Nein went to the Restless Wharf to find Marius LePual. Caduceus quickly spotted him hiding by shipping crates and bribing a Zhelezo. Things quickly began to go downhill for the Nein, and instead of interrogating Marius, they instead commandeered a ship, kidnapped Marius, and killed most of the crew. In the chaos, Caduceus had to swim for the ship as it was sailing away, and barely made it aboard.
The Mighty Nein turn to Piracy
"O Captain, Who's Captain?" (2x36) Caduceus was visibly disturbed by the group's stealing the ship and almost drowning trying to reach the ship as it sailed away. He healed Gallan at Jester's request, but then immediately went to sit curled up alone on deck. Jester joined him, and Caduceus wondered out loud if he made a mistake by leaving his home with the Mighty Nein. It has been a long time since he has received a sign from the Wildmother. Jester reassured him that temporary silence didn't mean his god had abandoned him. She reminded him the world was much bigger than his graveyard; to complete his quest he would have to step out of his comfort zone. Caduceus calmed down after their talk and went belowdecks to further clear his head by cooking. The opportunity to experiment with new types of tropical fruit found in The Mistake galley excited him.
Caduceus and Fjord took a watch together, and Fjord voiced his concern for Caduceus. Caduceus had made peace with the situation, and said that he was going to embrace the chaos. Fjord said he was very impressed by Caduceus' ability to read people. Caduceus said that part of his job his whole life was to talk to the people who came to the graveyard. He had learned about the world from them. The following morning, Caduceus came up with the idea to spread a ghost story. While spreading the ghost story, the party also spread misinformation about what the ship that was taken looked like.
"Welcome to the Jungle" (2x38) Suspicious of Jamedi Cosko not being bothered by insects, Caduceus used Eyes of the Grave to detect any undead presence within 60 feet of himself. He sensed a very faint undead aura emanating from Jamedi. Caduceus and Jester decided to explore by themselves that evening, and were promptly ambushed by snake-headed cougars. The rest of the party came to the clerics' rescue. Later in the journey through the jungle, Caduceus cast Lesser Restoration on Beau to cure her of her insect-borne illness.
"Dubious Pursuits" (2x40) During the escape from the flooding temple, Caleb cast Enlarge on Caduceus, making him twice his normal size. Caduceus used his height to lift members of the group up into the next level. Fjord held on to Enlarged Caduceus's hand, Caleb cast Reduce to shrink Caduceus down to half his normal size, and Fjord pulled him up. Caduceus fell unconscious and began drowning before the party was able to escape, but he was carried to safety by Avantika and Jamedi, and Jester healed him as soon as she had the opportunity.
After Fjord and Avantika slept together, Fjord attempted to sneak back to the room he shared with Caduceus, but Caduceus heard him. He drowsily commented, "Sleep well with your bad decisions."
"A Pirate's Life for Me" (2x41) During the journey from Urukayxl to Darktow Isle, Caduceus became a deckhand and apprentice bosun. Along with the rest of the Mighty Nein, he was automatically initiated into the ranks of the Revelry upon arriving at Darktow Isle.
"In Hot Water" (2x43) After leaving Darktow Island, Caduceus cast Divination to ask the Wildmother where the safest place to dock and do repairs would be located. She responded that, "Bisaft Isle brings you safest harbor in what you seek." During the trip, Caduceus and Jester coordinated casting Control Water to reduce the travel time to the Diver's Grave by three days. Caduceus and Jester also alternated castings of Locate Object to find the wreck of the Tide's Breath.
"The Diver's Grave" (2x44) Caduceus used his Eyes of the Grave to confirm that the Diver's Grave was inhabited by ghosts. When one of the spirits possessed Beau, Caduceus quickly banished it with Turn Undead.
"The Stowaway" (2x45) Caduceus was trapped in the Happy Fun Ball along with Twiggy and the rest of the Mighty Nein. Caduceus cast Speak with Dead on a corpse in the first room, learning that they had been killed by a creature which came from behind the black banner. He took a book of debate records from the library before following Fjord, Beau, Jester, and Twiggy through the stained glass window. During the fight with Thelashas, Caduceus cast Bane on the dragon. After taking damage, he cast Meld into Stone on himself and disappeared into a wall. When Caleb and Nott finally entered the fray, Caduceus emerged from the wall, warned them, "We're running! It's bad!" and safely exited the Heirloom Sphere.
As the party continued sailing to Bisaft Isle, Caduceus shared a cup of tea with Beau. Beau asked him how he was, and Caduceus said he was feeling great. Beau asked if it was wrong of her to feel ok when everyone else felt so bad. Caduceus said no. It was their job to comfort the group and make them feel good again.
"A Storm of Memories" (2x46) The Mighty Nein discussed the battle of the previous day, and Caduceus realized that everyone (apart from Nott and himself) thought it was their fault. He consoled the group, pointing out that they're all alive and it was necessary to take some risks. Jester wanted to visit a meadery, and Caduceus told her that she could communicate with the bees by simply saying 'hello' to them.
After Yasha's fight with the lightning creature, she and Jester sought out Caduceus, who healed Yasha and made tea. He and Jester listened to Yasha's confession of her past.
"The Second Seal" (2x47) Taking a moment alone in the crow's nest, Caduceus cast Divination to ask the Wildmother what Fjord's former captain, Vandran was doing now. He heard a warm voice along with an unexpected hot wind on a cold night say "Staying out of sight. Making amends."
"Homeward Bound" (2x48) The Mighty Nein sailed back to Nicodranas and did some shopping. Caduceus told Fjord he was proud of him for taking care of himself and not getting distracted by "bad thoughts". He wants to get the broken sword he bought from Pumat Sol fixed as a present for Fjord. Caduceus got it examined by a blacksmith. The blacksmith told him it was Uthudurnian, and that the sword could probably only be reforged by someone who specializes in their style.
The Mighty Nein returned to Tidepeak Tower, and Caduceus convinced Yussa Errenis to let him in by offering him rare tea from the Blooming Grove. Caduceus wanted to show the dodecahedron and Happy Fun Ball to Yussa, but Jester only gave up the latter item. Caduceus chose Beau to accompany him inside, and he let her do the talking while he brewed tea. The pair managed to convince Yussa to form an alliance with the Mighty Nein and invited the rest of the group to enter the tower. Yussa and the Mighty Nein agreed to trade the Happy Fun Ball in exchange for safe haven with him whenever they came back to Nicodranas. When Yussa asked to see the dodecahedron, Caduceus acquiesced and told Yussa it was a sign of trust from them. Yussa was aware of the Savalirwood corruption but did not believe it was spreading any faster than it had been. After leaving the tower, Caduceus complimented Beau on her negotiation skills.
During the journey to Felderwin Caduceus told Fjord about his Divination spell confirming that Vandran was alive and "making amends". He told Fjord that he has some faith in Fjord because Fjord was not tempted by power. As they passed through Trostenwald, Caduceus asked about Gustav Fletching and found that no one had seen him since the Mighty Nein had paid for his release. Jester gave Caduceus the cookbooks she had bought as a present for him. When Caleb began to panic, Caduceus calmed and reassured him.
"A Game of Names" (2x49) Along with the rest of the party, Caduceus was presents for Nott's confession of her past and true nature. Later, he discovered that there was an opening past the blocked portion of the tunnel left behind by the Kryn, and suggested that it might be possible to dig to the other side. Caduceus cast Commune to confirm that Yeza had been captured by the Kryn and was being taken to their capital city.
Caduceus explained to the party that the corruption afflicting the Blooming Grove had been happening for a long time. He knew that there were other resting places sacred to the Wildmother, but Caduceus and his family never really communicated with them, so he wasn't sure if the corruption was affecting them too. Caduceus's family was supposed to protect the Blooming Grove, and Caduceus had run out of ideas by the time the Mighty Nein arrived. Everyone else in his family had already left to find answers, and Caduceus was the last to leave. He saw the Mighty Nein as a sign that he needed to take some responsibility and fulfill his duty to save his home. Beau asked if Caduceus had ever asked the Wildmother for word on his family, but Caduceus was confident that she would let him know if he needed to know, and didn't ask her out of fear that she might tell him that they were all dead or worse.
Journey to Xhorhas
"The Endless Burrows" (2x50) When the party was threatened by a group of kobolds, Caduceus cast Create Food as an offering. In order to cross the lava river, Caduceus Polymorphed into a dragonfly and was carried across by Beau. When Nott fell unconscious attempting to cross, Caduceus revived her with Healing Word. Once all of the party were safely across, Caduceus sealed the tunnel entrance behind them with Stone Shape.
"Xhorhas" (2x51) After the battle with Kryn warriors, Caduceus created a funeral pyre for the fallen Muck Men. While travelling the wastes of Xhorhas, Caduceus recognized patches of glass scattered on the ground as evidence of powerful lightning strikes. He was the first to notice that a roc was flying towards the Nein. Caduceus was able to make friends with Gluzzo by offering him food and healing.
"Cornered" (2x53) Caduceus witnessed Fjord waking up from a nightmare sent by Uk'otoa. Fjord told him that he believed Uk'otoa was angry with him because he decided not to release it. Caduceus stated that he was proud of Fjord for maintaining his sense of self while in contact with a powerful force. Fjord asked about Caduceus' communication with the Wildmother. Caduceus believed it was a two way communication, since everything people do is an interaction with nature. Fjord said that he wanted to find a counteragent to this monster, and Caduceus agreed to help him on this new quest.
"Duplicity" (2x55) During the fight with the fiends beneath the well, Caduceus brought Caleb back to consciousness with Cure Wounds. Caduceus was then knocked out himself by a charmed Yasha, although he was stabilized by his Periapt of Wound Closure. In a subsequent round, the incubus attacked Caduceus, giving him two failed death saves, and Nott killed the incubus with an explosive arrow from her crossbow. Unfortunately, the area of effect from the explosion gave Caduceus his third failed death save, killing him. Jester immediately cast Revivify, bringing him back to life with the help of the Traveler and the Wildmother. While Caduceus was unconscious, he has a vision assuring him that he was on the right path.
"In Love and War" (2x57) Along with the rest of the Mighty Nein, Caduceus received an emblem of the Bright Queen. He mentioned to the party that he was looking for a blacksmith and wanted to search for the kiln in Kravaraad, alluding to his quest to reforge Dwueth'var.
"A Turtle By Any Other Name" (2x60) Caduceus cast decompose on a goblin NPC that Caleb had unwittingly killed. He identified a magical essence within the pit alongside the goblin's corpse, which upon further investigation turned out to be an Abyssal anchor. Caduceus decided to keep the goblin's body in the bag of holding.
"Agreements" (2x61) Caduceus used Speak with Dead on the goblin body from the giants' fortress, learning that the anchor was planted seventeen days ago by a human. Following up with the results of Jester's Scry on said human, Caduceus Communed with the Wildmother, and discovered that 'the Overcrow' was nearby. On the way to their new house, Caleb gave Caduceus a Staff of Withering (a reward from Professor Waccoh for resolving things at the Steelworks).
"Domestic Respite" (2x62) Caduceus used his tree token to plant a giant tree on top of the tower of the Xhorhaus as a gift to the Wildmother. With help from Jester and Yasha, he spent his downtime making a rooftop garden with fairy lights to keep the plants alive. He and Jester also installed a door chime and created a hot tub in the base of the tower.
"A Dangerous Chase" (2x64) Caduceus decided to Speak with Dead on the two severed heads from the Overcrow fight. Fjord disguised himself as the drow that got away from the Overcrow. Caduceus disguised himself as the blond Empire clerk they had Scryed on originally, and questioned the hobgoblin, who told him that he completed his mission to keep "Obann" safe, that they were to meet in the tomb under Bazzoxan and that they follow the "Angel of Irons".
"Chases and Trees" (2x65) Caduceus cast Commune to speak with the Wildmother, who told him the Arbor Exemplar was her last and final seed in this scarred land. Caduceus asked if he was here to fix this, and she replied, "It's too big to fix. Your path is your own." He did not like that answer one bit. That night, Caduceus dreamed of mountains near a desert of glass beads, holding a volcano with an anvil in its belly. As green crystals fell into the boiling magma, they turned purple in color. The vision shifted direction to a massive jungle holding a pool of water with a nearby cavern. When the transformed purple crystals fell into the pool, they began to root and grow.
"Reflections" (2x68) Caduceus cast Speak with Dead on the angel skull that Jester brought with them, learning that it was slain by those it was charged to contain, but succeeded. It was charged to contain "The Laughing Hand, timeless and seeking the torment of all, the Undying Chosen," who could not be defeated, only sealed, and this was his tomb.
During the battle with the doppelgängers in the mirror chamber, Caduceus noticed an ivory-handled dagger jammed into the stone of the wall, that didn't exist in the "real" world they were in. When he approached a mirror, he was pulled in facing his own creature, but his Spirit Guardians quickly finished off all three remaining doppelgängers. Caduceus led Yasha and Fjord to the dagger in the wall, and Yasha pulled it out. Caduceus then discovered they could go back through the mirror to the normal world.
"The King's Cage" (2x69) During the battle with the Laughing Hand, Caduceus was severely wounded. Fjord decided to go back for Caduceus and killed the hound that was harrying him. Capeleb scooped up Caduceus and carried him partway toward the door, and Caduceus ran the rest of the way himself.
"Causatum" (2x70) Caduceus was distressed and unsettled by the release of the Laughing Hand, and urged the party to leave Bazzoxan as quickly as possible. He was also disturbed by the Bright Queen's decision to not to warn anyone of the danger yet, so that the information could be framed to avoid hysteria. Later, Caduceus cast Legend Lore on the two broken sword pieces, learning that the once-powerful blade was known as Dwueth'var, the Star Razor, and dated from the Age of Arcanum.
Caduceus took the lead when the party held an audience with the Bright Queen. He emphasized the dangers posed by the release of the Laughing Hand, and said that they believed there might be a weapon that could defeat this creature (referring to the Star Razor) in the north and requested teleportation there. Skysybil Mirimm recognized the snowless mountain he described as being Kravaraad, a volcano in the Flotket Alps of the Greying Wildlands. Essek agreed to transport the party there.
Back home at the Xhorhaus, the Nein gathered in the rooftop garden and Caduceus told them that the broken sword is named Dwueth'var, and that he believes it can be reforged in Kravaraad. He told them the story of how the day after the Raven Queen ascended, three of her champions, named Clay, Stone, and Dust, were given the task of disposing of the body of one of the heroes of the war. The Wildmother told Stone to feed the limbs to the beasts living in an oasis, creating a menagerie as a gift to The Changebringer. She told Clay to put the head next to a spring in a forest, creating a beautiful garden as a gift to The Archeart. Dust took the rest of the body and burned it in a kiln as a gift to The Allhammer. Since that time, those three families have guarded and accepted the dead at those three temples. Caduceus believed there was still a Dust in the north, ready to help. He had also created a small shrine for each of the Mighty Nein's deities in the rooftop garden.
"Clay and Dust" (2x72) The Mighty Nein went to the Cinderrest Sanctum in order to find a way to fix the broken sword and help Caduceus complete his quest given to him by the Wildmother. Upon arrival, they were greeted by Jeramess Dust. She greeted Caduceus warmly and told him that his relatives Constance and Corrin (his mother and aunt) and also his brother Colton, had been through recently, but had since left. Recalling his vision, Caduceus tried throwing some residuum powder directly into the pool of magma, but nothing happened. He then cast Commune, and the Wildmother confirmed that he should be seeking refined residuum for the kiln, that there are places to find it other than Whitestone, and that the man who can reforge the sword is in Uthodurn.
In the middle of the night, bleeding and asking for help, Fjord anxiously woke Caduceus. He explained that he had had another dream from Uk'otoa and had wounded himself seriously and then thrown his sword into the lava in an apparently successful effort to break Uk'otoa's hold on him, but had lost his powers. Caduceus healed him, telling him that the sword they were seeking to mend was destined to be Fjord's new weapon. Caduceus was very encouraging of Fjord's actions, and Fjord admitted that Caduceus had inspired him. Caduceus commended Fjord for winning a battle of wills to take the first step in freeing himself from Uk'otoa, though he did not believe that was the end of Fjord's struggle yet.
"Uthodurn" (2x73) Caduceus was swallowed during the battle with the remorhazes. After Jester killed it, Fjord climbed down the dead beast's throat to save Caduceus. Caleb used Cat's Ire to shred the beast enough that Jester could reach Fjord and Caduceus and pull them out. Upon arriving in Uthodurn, the party located Umagorn Smeltborne, a blacksmith. Umagorn realized the sword they were attempting to have repaired was Dwueth'var, the Star Razor. He tells them that he can fix it, but he will need iceflex, formed by a white dragon breathing on mythril.
"Rime and Reason" (2x75) The party travelled to Mythburrow, the lair of Gelidon, an ancient white dragon, in the hopes that they could trick her into breathing on their mythril and transforming it into iceflex. Outside of her lair, Caduceus asked Fjord to join him and cast Commune, telling Fjord to ask three questions of the Wildmother. When Fjord asked for a sign from her, Caduceus told him he must have faith, but he's received his sign: Caduceus and the party are there for him. Caduceus told Fjord he was sure he would find what he's supposed to champion and represent, if he kept communicating with the Wildmother and accepting the answers he received in whatever form they came.
The following morning, the Mighty Nein successfully executed their plan and retrieved their iceflex, although not without having to improvise along the way. Faced with a very angry Gelidon, the party teleported back to Uthodurn, though not before Caduceus threw a handful of platinum pieces to Gelidon as a placating gesture.
""Refjorged" (2x76) In order to obtain the residuum Caduceus needed to perform his ritual, the Mighty Nein decided to attempt a burglary of the Tumblecarve residence. They successfully obtained a certain ring, which they traded to Ava Endlewood for the residuum. Afterward, the party traveled back to Kravaraad. Caduceus cast the refined residuum into the magma where it was transformed into larger purple crystals, completing the first task outlined in his vision under the Arbor Exemplar.
The following morning, Caduceus presented the finally reforged Star Razor to Fjord, and told him to embrace his destiny.
"A Tangled Web" (2x77) Back in Rosohna, Caduceus entered the scourger's cell along with Caleb and Jester. After Caleb was attacked, Caduceus healed him. Caduceus suggested that they cast Speak With Dead on the scourger, however Essek thought this would raise suspicion against the Nein.
Later, Caduceus bought the materials necessary for Legend Lore, and then cast the spell, asking about the Luxon beacon the party was searching for. He learned that it was found 700 years ago in Blightshore.
"Through the Trees" (2x79) Caduceus asked the surrounding forest of the Lotusden for aid in their quest, and a fly landed on his nose. He interpreted this as a sign, and when it took off he told the party to follow; however, it was immediately eaten by a toad, which Caduceus chastised. Through Commune, Caduceus learned that Jourrael's heart was to the southwest, in a natural imprisonment of some kind, and that Obann's party was still ahead of them.
"From Door to Door" (2x81) Caduceus was able to Command the golem to turn itself off, causing it to plummet away from the party. In the armory, Caduceus jumped onto the control seat of one of the ballistae, seeing five buttons and a firing lever, but he couldn't decipher the meaning of the different-colored buttons. Pushing one at random, he fired first a blast of cold energy, and then a blast of lightning at the golem.
"Titles and Tattoos" (2x84) Caduceus, Fjord, and Caleb went out for fish and chips, and talked about destiny and fate, their obligation to try to stop Tharizdun even if it meant their deaths, their growing attachment to the group, and their sense of duty to try to rescue Yasha from Obann.
"The Threads Converge" (2x85) Caduceus made tea for the Gentleman, asking him to check on the Blooming Grove and talking about family. He implies that he thinks the Gentleman should tell Jester that he's her father-- it would do them both good.
"The Cathedral" (2x86) During the battle in the Chantry, Caduceus cast Dispel Magic at the orange glow on the back of Yasha's neck, breaking Obann's hold on her. Caduceus also cast Spare the Dying on the unconscious Beau, stabilizing her. As the party descended into the basement of the cathedral, they rested for ten minutes so that Caduceus could cast Prayer of Healing. In the subsequent fight, Caduceus used Greater Restoration to free Fjord from Obann's control.
"Punishment and Politics" (2x87) Caduceus was swallowed by Obann the Punished, but was freed upon its death. He cast Healing Word, bringing both Beau and Jester back to consciousness. Caduceus offered both healing and a hug to Jourrael, who refused both and vanished.
In the meeting with King Dwendal, Caduceus spoke up and suggested that some of the attackers may have been mind-controlled.
"Unwanted Reunions" (2x88) While talking about the upcoming meeting with Ludinus Da'leth, Caduceus warned Fjord about being tempted back into old habits. Fjord asked Caduceus if it was important to the Wildmother to be honest at all times, and Caduceus responded that he did not know, and asked Fjord if he felt nature could lie. Fjord said it could certainly be deceiving, as well as unyielding and unchanging for anyone. Saying that he had never thought of it that way, and that Fjord seemed to have a handle on things, Caduceus gave him a sea-themed holy symbol of the Wildmother that he had had forged at the Kiln.
After the meeting with Ikithon, Caduceus commented to the party that although Trent didn't lie, he walked daintily around the truth. While shopping at the Cryptic Collection, Caduceus bought a magical bone flute.
"Stone to Clay" (2x91) Caduceus expressed his concern over his home dying to Essek and the rest of the group. After Essek left the house, Caduceus again brought up the legend of the three families who worship the Wildmother. While listening to the conversation, Fjord remarked that the last name that the orphanage gave him was "Stone". The Stone family is one of three families that openly worship the Wildmother. Caduceus said that this can't be a coincidence, rather an act of destiny. Later, Caduceus talked to Yasha, saying that she needed to remember to put some of the blame for her grief and rage on someone else rather than herself, and that she could rely on her friends to help her.
"Home is Where the Heart Is" (2x92) Caduceus cast Commune, learning from the Wildmother that the woman that cursed Nott was still alive, that that woman had conversed with Beau's father, and, after some hesitation to pose the question, which he regarded as a weakness, that his family waited for him at the Menagerie.
"Blessing in Disguise" (2x95) After fighting their way through jungle, the party arrived at the Menagerie, a pool of water surrounded by dozens of stone statues. Caduceus recognized several of his family members among them, and realized they were not statues, but petrified people.
"Family Shatters" (2x96) Caduceus and Jester used Greater Restoration to restore many of the Stone and Clay families, who explained that large mutated beasts sometimes cross over into the Menagerie from Blightshore. In the evening, Caduceus pranked his sister Calliope by sneaking up behind her and blowing loudly on his bone whistle. When Calliope fell into the pool, the awakened refined residuum crystals inside her pouch started growing root-like appendages, similar to the ones Caduceus had seen in his vision at the Arbor Exemplar. They both submerged their respective crystals, and Caduceus entrusted his to Calliope, saying he wasn't sure he was ready to go home yet. Caleb teleported the Clays and the Mighty Nein to Uthodurn, where Reani agreed to escort the Clays back to the Blooming Grove. Caduceus told his loving and accepting parents that he owed it to the Mighty Nein to see them through and that some of them still needed him.
"The Fancy and the Fooled" (2x97) Caduceus and Jester picked out excellent formal outfits for everyone to wear to the party that evening. At the party, Caduceus cast True Seeing on Beau, giving her Truesight and allowing her to see into the Ethereal Plane, but also making her seem high. When Essek attempted to flee the party, Caduceus helped prevent his escape by casting Command and ordering him to "stop".
"Dark Waters" (2x98) When Veth suggested that they might be able to use their knowledge to bring some of the conspirators on the Empire side to justice, Caduceus said he wasn't on board for that. He believed enacting justice or vengeance would only run the risk of reigniting war without helping the living.
When Fjord was attacked by minions of Uk'otoa during the voyage to the peace talks, Caduceus fought with rage until they were all destroyed.
"High Seas, High Stakes" (2x99) Caduceus brought Fjord back to life with a Revivify spell. Fjord was sure the orb - the third and final key to the unlocking of Uk'otoa - remained within him. Caduceus confirmed this with a Locate Object. Caduceus then cast Greater Restoration, sending Fjord into intense, horrible pain until he finally vomitted the cloven crystal. That night, Caduceus cast Guardian of Faith to help guard Fjord. At the peace talks, Caduceus baked a mushroom cake for Jester.
"Hunted at Sea" (2x100) In preparation for the fight with the dragon turtle, Caduceus cast Water Walk on the party. In order to polymorph the turtle into a slower creature, Caduceus, Jester, and Caleb went overboard using their Water Walking abilities, hanging onto ropes trailing from the stern of the ship as it traveled. Caduceus was able to locate the turtle and cast Bane on it to make it more susceptible to Polymorph. Jester maintained her concentration on her Polymorph while Caleb successfully Polymorphed it into a sea slug.
Adventures on Rumblecusp
"Mysteries, Memories, and Music" (2x101) While traversing a treacherous section of tarry pools, Caduceus slipped into one, which grabs him and began pulling him under. He called for help as his legs were being gnawed from beneath. A combination of his Spirit Guardians and Yasha's strength succeeded in freeing him, but not without some damage. Moments later however, both Fjord and Caduceus slipped into pools. Fjord stepped in a pool of harmless water, but Caduceus again slipped into a tar pool and was pulled out by Yasha and Jester. Caleb in his giant owl form flew down to grab him in his claws and fly with him, and Caduceus dejectedly let it happen.
"Ghosts, Dinosaurs, and Stuff" (2x102) Caduceus cast Commune and the Wildmother confirmed that Vokodo was causing their constant sensation of being watched, that he is what caused the people of the island to forget, and that Caduceus had the magical power to restore their memories. When a T-Rex nearly discovered the party, Caduceus used Thaumaturgy to trick it into running the opposite direction of the Nein.
Later that evening, Caduceus cast Greater Restoration on Viridian, causing her to regain her memories of her life as Vilya.
"Maritime Mysteries" (2x103) In the morning, the Mighty Nein began their new ritual of reciting their names and parents' names, and Caduceus, Yasha, Jester, and Fjord discovered that large portions of their memories were gone. Vilya repaid Caduceus for her own restoration by casting Greater Restoration on him, and together, along with Jester, they restored the memories of the rest of the party.
Fjord noticed a torchbloom tunnel entrance within the cavern behind Heaven Falls. Caduceus joined him and was overtaken by an intense compulsion to swim into the tunnel. Fjord immediately went after him, managing to resist the same compulsion, and Commanded him to "Stop", but the effect was only momentary and Caduceus tried to swim off again. Fjord grabbed him, and Caduceus cast Blindness, which Fjord managed to Counterspell but in order to do so had to release Caduceus, who tried to swim away. Fjord seized him once again and dragged him back to the tunnel entrance, but Caduceus casts Blindness again and this time succeeded. Fjord tried to Command him to swim back to the group, but he resisted the spell and broke free, swimming away back into the tunnel. The blinded Fjord had no choice but to surface and shout for the others to help. When they all swam down, Caduceus was nowhere to be seen.
"The Ruined Sliver" (2x104) Caduceus was rescued by Beau and Caleb, who used a combination of Stunning Strike and Cat's Ire to drag him out of the tunnel. When Caduceus recovered from his stun, the compulsion to join Vokodo had passed.
Caduceus successfully cast Divine Intervention for the first time in the campaign, asking the Wildmother for information on Vokodo's nature and history. Caduceus was shown a vision of Vokodo, fleeing through its home in the Astral Sea in a desperate attempt to escape from something. As it crashed through the planar boundary, it dragged shards of other places with it, and landed on the island at the base of the volcano.
"Rumble at Rumblecusp" (2x105) During the fight wit Vokodo, Jester's Banishment was reflected by the morkoth, briefly sending Caduceus to the Astral Sea. When Vokodo died, Caduceus, along with the rest of the party, witnessed another vision of Cognouza.
Caduceus's meditations were disturbed by memories of the vision he had had of the city that Vokodo was running from. He realized that the entity was a perversion of all that he held sacred, something truly alien and entirely removed from the cycle of nature, both on Exandria and the natural order of the cosmic weave. When Caduceus later Communed with the Wildmother, she was not sure what this entity was or if it was coming after them. When Jester raised the subject, he expressed his concerns to the group, asking if they knew anything about the creature since his goddess had no answers for him. They decided to talk about it further after TravelerCon.
Before Vilya left for Tal'Dorei, she Druidcrafted flowers for a few members of the Mighty Nein, including a pink one for Caduceus.
"Traveler Con" (2x108) Caduceus and Jester agreed that it would be a good idea to try and Commune with the Moonweaver before the events of TravelerCon. They found a quiet spot and both cast the spell. Caduceus asked the Wildmother if the Traveler was being reasonably honest, and her response indicated she didn't know. Jester connected with a slightly inebriated Traveler rather than the Moonweaver. That night, Caduceus dreamt again of the city in the Astral Sea, and brought it up to the party after TravelerCon the next day.
"Frigid Propositions" (2x109) At the dance hall in Rexxentrum, Yasha and Caduceus talked about her wings. He told her that her chains were broken now and asked what was still holding her back. He noticed her hair has started turning white at the roots, as well as the tips, and in surprise, she said that was how it used to be. He urged her not to wait too long, but admitted he himself didn't want to go home yet, not until everyone in the group was safe or at least heading in the direction they needed to be.
"Dinner with the Devil" (2x110) In Nicodranas, Caduceus walked to the Mother's Lighthouse and cast Word of Recall to create a sanctuary there. Back in Rexxentrum, the Nein had a tense dinner with Trent Ikithon. Caduceus told Trent that he was a fool. Pain doesn't make people, it's love that makes people. Because Trent had none around him, he failed to see that. Caduceus wished for him in the future to find someone who would mourn him when he was gone.
"An Open Window" (2x114) While trying to procure some food for their trek up to Aeor, Yasha, Veth and Caduceus met Oweda, a female goliath who sold meats from her tent. During their conversation, Oweda started flirting with Caduceus, but he didn't pick up on her advances until Veth and Yasha pointed it out. He explained that he wasn't interested in having a partner, which freed up his mind for many more things.
After Vess deRogna was killed, Caduceus cast Speak With Dead on her corpse. He learned that the eyes on her body proved her right to be the Nonagon: a vessel that is a key to Cognouza and the one to free the Somnovem. He also learns that she deliberately sabotaged Lucien's ritual two years prior.
"Under Timeless Ice" (2x116) While exploring excavation site A5, the Mighty Nein were attacked by ice elementals. The elementals surrounded and badly wounded Caduceus. Fjord rescued Caduceus by grabbing him and casting Thunder Step.
"Malice and Mystery Below" (2x119) When scouring the ruins of A5 in search of a threshold crest, the Mighty Nein came across a room filled with frail, white trees. Caduceus recognized these trees as the same type of rot occurring in the Savalirwood, and later asked Jester if she could speak to the trees. The trees seemed to give off a malevolent and hungry presence when trying to communicate with them.
"Contentious Company" (2x120) Beau checked in with Caduceus, asking him about his reaction to the corrupted Arboretum they passed through. He believed it was a perversion of death. Caduceus told Jester he would like to burn it, and she did so after the party left with Fire Storm. On the way out of A2, Caduceus attempted to lie to Iver, but failed at being very deceptive.
Caduceus took the last watch of that night. Toward dawn, but before their long rest was completed, Caduceus stuck his head out of the snow-covered dome and saw Lucien sitting a short distance away with the other Tombtakers, surrounding the dome. Caduceus woke the others and he and Lucien had a cordial conversation while the party discussed what to do.
While persuing the Tombtakers, Caduceus used Command to freeze Tyffial and Otis in place, but Lucien used his antimagic ability to render Caduceus' borrowed Goggles of Night inert, effectively blinding him, and dispeled Caleb's Polymorph, tumbling them both into the snow just feet from the Tombtakers. Without darkvision, Caduceus tried to light his staff with a cantrip but it failed and he realizes he couldn't use any magic. Later in the fight, Lucien hit Caduceus for significant psychic damage. Beau used Step of the Wind to bring Caduceus closer to the rest of the Nein, and owl-Jester grabbed him as the party fled.
"A Walk to Warmer Welcomes" (2x124) In their conversation at Vurmas, Caduceus said that while he didn't speak for the rest of the party, he still trusted Essek. Later, Caduceus succeeded on Divine Intervention, and had the Wildmother show him the location of the Tombtakers' secret entrance to Aeor. He also cast Commune and learned that the Tombtakers were going to locate another threshold crest.
"The Neverending Day" (2x125) Caduceus dreamt of his home in the Blooming Grove and his family, but the dream quickly turned nightmarish. The trees seemed to be getting closer and the light choked and fleeting, and bark became flesh, branch became arm, stone and skin twisted and broke the boundaries into the Blooming Grove. Cobblestones flew up from beneath the ground, a city street made of teeth, as it devoured his family. The forest of flesh consumed everything.
"Worth Fighting For" (2x126) Caduceus's dream made him think he should go to his home, that perhaps the Savalirwood's corruption was more related to Aeor than he thought it was. But he didn't know if his dream was a vision of what was currently happening, a premonition, or an indication of the importance of the fight against Cognouza. He asked Jester to use Sending to contact Cornelius, his father, asking how things were going at home. Cornelius responded that the woods were fine, but the dreams had been weird.
"Cat and Mouse" (2x128) Caduceus cast Word of Recall to arrive at the Mother's Lighthouse in Nicodranas. He, Beau, Fjord, and Yasha headed toward Veth's house to join the rest of the Mighty Nein. After attuning to their Amulets of Proof Against Detection and Location, the party went to the Lavish Chateau where Caduceus noticed two odd figures sitting by the door. These two turned out to be Astrid and Eadwulf, who had come to warn the Nein of Trent's imminent descent upon the Chateau. As the party and their families fled to Tidepeak Tower, Caduceus used Calm Emotions to help Marion, who was having a hard time between the shock of events and her agoraphobia.
Caduceus proposed the idea to use the Happy Fun Ball to hold some of the party and carry it through whatever plane the spell scroll took them to. He was part of the group who stayed outside of the Sphere, Shifting to the Plane of Fire along with Caleb, Veth, Jester, and their families.
"Between a Ball and a Hot Place" (2x129) While the rest of the group explored, Caduceus and Luc bonded over the air in the cavern smelling like farts. In the fight with the fire elemental, Caduceus used Mass Cure Wounds to bring Caleb back to consciousness and heal the others. He got the How do you want to do this? on the elemental with his Spirit Guardians. In the aftermath of the encounter, Caduceus cast Revivify, restoring Luc to life. Yeza tearfully thanked Caduceus for bringing back his son.
"The Calm Before the Storm" (2x130) Veth thanked Caduceus again for saving Luc, and then asked his advice about whether she should stay with her family or go with the party. Caduceus told her he didn't fear for Luc's happiness even if bad things happened, but that he, Caduceus, needed her. She decided to come with the Nein.
The party Teleported back to the Blooming Grove, where the Clay family greeted Caduceus warmly. Constance told them of the dreams the family had been having that seemed to bear an undercurrent of dread and warning, and to have a connection to Caduceus. Upset, Caduceus went out to the spring to meditate, and Calliope followed him. He told her he knew this was supposed to have happened to her, not him. He didn't want to go, but he had to, although he didn't think he was coming back. Wading into the spring holding the crystal from the top of his staff, he cast Commune. The Wildmother responded with a vision of seeds representing all of life, gradually surrounded by screams that extinguished their lights, one by one. As it happened, the color faded from her and she withered.
Caduceus went back inside and told everyone of a vision he had the night before the Nein arrived: a forest where the trees and the sky had eyes and there were eyes at the bottom of the spring. Nine butterflies drank the nectar of blooms growing on the Clay family graves. He woke up and started packing, and the next day, the Mighty Nein came seeking his aid.
Return to Eiselcross
"Aeor" (2x132) While travelling to the Tombtakers' secret entrance to the ruins, Caduceus treated the party to his best snowman impression, at Fjord's request. The party followed Caduceus' guidance to find the secret entrance.
"Hunter and Hunted" (2x133) Veth cast Invisibility while Caleb cast Fly on Caduceus, and he discovered a massive amphitheater holding hundreds of bodies surrounding a figure in a stasis bubble on the raised dais at its center.
"The Streets of the Forgotten" (2x134) Caduceus made himself look like Cree and cast Speak with Dead on the severed head of Tyffial Wase. Tyffial told him which road the Tombtakers had previously taken to reach their destination, and that it took them about a day. When asked about the eyes, the head began laughing and Caduceus Decomposed it. Caduceus suggested that the person he saw in stasis in the amphitheater might know how to fight the Somnovem. Caduceus selected one of the hundreds of bodies in the amphitheater and, after Caleb cast Tongues on him, Caduceus cast Speak with Dead. He learns that the crowd was there to beseech Brashaar-the mage in the stasis bubble- to protect them. When Veth brought a ruined aeormaton back to life, Caduceus named him "Charlie".
"The Genesis Ward" (2x135) Caduceus cast Speak with Dead on one of the corpses in the rejuvenation chamber, who tells them he was security personnel for the project. The machine was a mostly-successful effort to condense near-instantaneous rejuvenation.
"Hell or High Water" (2x136) In the battle with the water elemental leviathan, Essek cast Fly on Caduceus. Caduceus picked him up and flew both of them above the creature to one side. The leviathan used a legendary action to whack Caduceus as he passed, but hr was able to make it safely through the Immensus Gate and into the Astral Sea.
"Welcome to Cognouza" (2x137) In order to de-sheep Caleb, Caduceus whacked him on the head with his staff. While the Nein traveled, Caduceus cast a Prayer of Healing since all of them were badly hurt. Caduceus wanted to try to ally with one of the Somnovem, probably Timorei, but most of the group thought it would be better to try to stop Cree.
"Where There Is a Will..." (2x138) Caduceus's Path to the Grave allowed Veth to get the How do you want to do this? on Cree's flesh monster form with her crossbow. During the battle, Caduceus gained a red eye in the center of his clavicle.
Caduceus cast Blight on the ceiling where the threshold crest had been, causing it (and its tendrils) to blacken and pull inward, releasing the crest. He then used Plane Shift to send the threshold crest into the Elemental Plane of Fire.
"Rebirth" (2x139) Before the battle with Lucien, Caduceus cast Motivational Speech to give the party temporary hit points. Caduceus was trapped in the anti-magic cone for much of the battle, but he managed to escape it long enough to cast Holy Weapon on Beau's fists and Path to the Grave on Lucien, allowing the party to deal massive damage. As the party pursued Lucien into the Aether Crux, Caduceus quickly healed the party.
"Long May He Reign" (2x140) In the second phase of the battle, Caduceus was first trapped under a statue, then in a nightmare cage. In his nightmare, he once again saw the vision of Cognouza devouring the Blooming Grove, but he dove into the spring and escaped. Caduceus healed Veth back to consciousness after she was knocked out by Fastidan. Fastidan then hit Caduceus with a Blight, but Caduceus's Death Ward saved his life, bringing him back at one hit point. Caduceus was able to successfully cast Revivify on Jester after she was killed by Lucien, and dragged her into Fjord's Marine Layer. Holding on to Fjord and Jester, Caduceus cast Mass Healing Word, then used Path to the Grave on Lucien. Jester followed up with Guiding Bolt and got the How do you want to do this?.
After the battle, Caduceus gave Caleb a diamond with which to perform Molly's resurrection ritual. When the ritual failed, Caduceus offered to take the body back to the Blooming Grove. However, ss the others talked about their sorrow and their sense of defeat, Caduceus reached a decision and quietly, in the corner, cast Divine Intervention. He miraculously succeeded, and he asks the Wildmother, "Whoever it was, just put it back. I think they've earned it. Put it back." Plants, vines, and moss began to grow and bloom around the body, and its eyes opened. As the Mighty Nein all joined hands, Caduceus cast Plane Shift, pulling them away from the now-dead city of Cognouza and back to the Blooming Grove.
"Fond Farewells" (2x141) When Trent Ikithon attacked the party at the Blooming Grove, he set the Clay family's home on fire. Fjord cast an Arcane Gate leading into the nearby woods, which Jester, Veth, Fjord, and Caduceus escorted the families through. Caduceus urged Calliope to take care of their family instead of helping the party fight. When Trent knocked Caleb unconscious, Caduceus's previously cast Death Ward brought Caleb back with one hit point. When Eadwulf was knocked out, Caduceus cast Spare the Dying on him. After the battle, Caduceus conjured a couatl to aid in putting out the fire in his home and angrily demanded Eadwulf help, and with the aid of Caleb's Control Fire they succeed in saving most of the house. Caduceus cast Command on Ikithon, trying to get him to "empathize", but failed repeatedly, as did Fjord.
Caduceus decided to stay at the Blooming Grove. Jester and Fjord gave him a hug before they parted. Jester thanked Caduceus for showing her how cool it was to heal people, and Caduceus responded that it wasn't as cool as summoning a giant lollipop. Fjord thanked Caduceus for everything he had done for him, and Caduceus replied that Fjord had "nothing [he] didn't earn." Yasha gave Caduceus a hug as well, and he gave her several seeds to make her own garden with. He said his farewells to the rest of the party, and they teleported away to Nicodranas.
Caduceus spent the next decades of his life in the Blooming Grove, occasionally walking somewhere new and different for a few weeks, months, or years, and sometimes taking Calliope along.
→ Main article: Relationship between Beauregard and Caduceus.
Early on, Beauregard was Caduceus' favorite member of the Mighty Nein. She was one of the first members of the party to notice that Caduceus was perhaps not quite as content as he may seem, mentioning to Jester that he was "kind of a hot mess who might need help sometimes." After adventuring in the Happy Fun Ball for the first time, Caduceus and Beau shared a moment on the deck of the Ball-Eater. They agreed that they would take care of the rest of the party.
→ Main article: Relationship between Caduceus and Caleb.
Caduceus commonly referred to and addressed Caleb formally as "Mister Caleb." He has expressed to Caleb that he believes the world is shaping Caleb into something important, and that he wants to ensure that he helps Caleb get to that point. Caduceus seems to respect Caleb's magical knowledge. He believes Caleb has an "air of authority" and can be a little intimidating. Caduceus also believes that Caleb is occasionally "up his own butt" a bit. 
Caduceus previously lived with his parents, two sisters, brother and aunt, but they all left the Blooming Grove one by one to find and fight off the source of the cursed blight that had overtaken the Savalirwood and had been encroaching on their land for over one hundred years. When he met the Mighty Nein, he did not know where the rest of his family was. One of his sisters had been the last to leave going east around eighteen to twenty seasons ago. One of Caduceus's sisters that he is very proud of made his armor. Though Caduceus generally likes everyone, he has ill feelings towards his brother Colton. Caduceus tends to be a prankster around his family, as shown near the end of "Family Shatters" (2x96). He is also considered "a little eccentric" in his family circle.
Caduceus chose the pirate alias "Cornelius" because it was his father's name. Caduceus briefly had spoken of his Aunt Corrin, saying that she mentioned finding other temples to the Wildmother before she left the Blooming Grove. Caduceus's sisters were named Calliope and Clarabelle, and Caduceus named his moorbounder after Clarabelle because "she's weird too".
Caduceus eventually reunited with his family in "Family Shatters" (2x96) after traveling to The Menagerie. They had all been petrified by a gorgon at this point in their journey, some for many years. Every petrified member of the family was reanimated (although the petrified body of Corrin had been shattered, it was Mended back together so she could be revived). After completing the last step of his quest with his sister Calliope, Caduceus decided that he would not return to the Blooming Grove with the rest of his family, stating that he owed it to the Mighty Nein to see them through, that some of them still needed him. His parents accepted his decision and told him how proud they were of him. He bid farewell to his siblings, giving Clarabelle his straw hat.
Caduceus took a liking to Essek soon after they first met. Essek is always polite to Caduceus, complimenting his culinary skills and thanking him for healing. After finding out about his betrayal, Caduceus thought that Essek should be given a second chance rather than punished, and was open about still trusting him and considering him a friend. After the Nein defeated Cognouza, Essek spent a few days gardening in the Blooming Grove. Caduceus gave him permission to take samples of some of the unique plants there to experiment on.
- → Main article: Relationship between Caduceus and Fjord.
Fjord and Caduceus are very good friends. The two of them initially had little in common, but grew closer as they traveled. Fjord has come to rely on Caduceus's counsel when it comes to making responsible decisions and understanding others' motivations. Fjord and Caduceus have deep trust and respect for each other.
Caduceus has become something of a mentor to Fjord since the latter broke his pact with Uk'otoa, guiding him when he lost all his powers. Fjord even decided to make a pact with the Wildmother, inspired by Caduceus's bond with her. Caduceus considers Fjord to be something of an angsty teen. However, he is very proud of Fjord for not being lured by the power that Uk'otoa seems to promise. Caduceus thinks it is very admirable that Fjord did not lose his sense of self during the Mighty Nein's time at sea.
- → Main article: Relationship between Caduceus and Jester.
At first Jester had been wary of a new cleric, and Caduceus initially didn't regard Jester as an adult, but the two have grown close over time. They have often bonded over being able to cast some of the same spells, such as Control Water and Create Food and Water during extended sea journeys.
The two bonded over their new home in the Dynasty, growing a giant tree and creating essentially Christmas lights out of small glass jars with daylight in them. They combined their efforts again to make a hot tub in their house. They also have a mutual appreciation for each other's deities, allowing space for both of their patrons in their home.
- → Main article: Relationship between Caduceus and Veth.
Caduceus was disappointed in Nott over how much she drank, although he would never say that out loud.  He did encourage Nott to deal with her emotions without alcohol after she told the Mighty Nein about her reincarnation, but seemed sympathetic and understanding of her addiction. Caduceus was accidentally killed by one of Nott's explosive arrows under the well in Asarius. However, after he was revived, he accepted her apology and explained that he wasn't upset. When Veth's son was killed, Caduceus was able to revive him.
Veth asked Caduceus' advice about whether she should stay with her family or go with the party. Caduceus told her he didn't fear for Luc's happiness even if bad things happened, but that he, Caduceus, needed her. She decided to come with the Nein.
- → Main article: Relationship between Caduceus and Yasha.
Caduceus is impressed by Yasha's faith in The Stormlord and by the fact that she seems to have earned his personal attention. When Yasha was under Obann's control, Caduceus believed that her actions were not her own, and believed that they would be able to free her. Later on, it was Caduceus who freed Yasha by casting Dispel Magic on the sigil on her neck.
In Rexxentrum, Caduceus confided in Yasha that he didn’t want to go home to his family yet, as he was afraid he’d miss travelling with the Nein. They each told the other that they thought they were "pretty great".
Caduceus and his family protect the Blooming Grove from the corruption spreading through the Savalirwood. It has been overtaking their temple for the last hundred years. Caduceus's parents and siblings have all left the Blooming Grove in pursuit of this goal and have not returned. Caduceus joined the Mighty Nein because he believes their arrival to be a sign from the Wildmother that he needs to leave to discover the source of the corruption.
- In "Within the Nest" (2x28), Nila promised that her clan would look after the temple in Caduceus's absence.
- Caleb found a book on plant corruption in Halas's library inside the Happy Fun Ball of Tricks. In "The Second Seal" (2x47), he gave the book to Caduceus to read.
- While being revived by Jester, Caduceus has a vision of a soft wind pushing far to the east and the Wildmother telling him that he's on the right path.
- Caduceus revealed his thoughts about the other temples to the Wildmother that he is aware of in "In Love and War" (2x57).
- In "Causatum" (2x70), Caduceus related his family's legend of the three families: the Clays, the Dusts, and the Stones, and their three temples to the Wildmother holding the trisected remains of a hero slain in the war around the Raven Queen's ascension.
- In "Refjorged" (2x76), Caduceus successfully completed the first of his visions from the Wildmother by dropping refined residuum into the fires of the forge in Kravaraad and collecting the remains. The substance produced was an unusual purple crystal with what looked like roots growing from it. When asked about it by Caleb, Caduceus said it was "the head of a hero".
- In "With Great Power..." (2x94), Caduceus and the rest of the Nein were transported by Essek to the Menagerie, a holy site of the Wildmother and the Changebringer. The party found many members of the Stone and Clay families had been petrified by a large gorgon bull. In "Family Shatters" (2x96), they defeated the bull and unpetrified the families, reuniting Caduceus with his parents and completing the next step in Melora's quest by dipping the crystals into the pool inside the temple where they grew root-like appendages. Caduceus entrusted his transformed crystals to his sister Calliope, and Caleb transported them all to Uthodurn, where Reani had agreed to escort the Clays back to the Blooming Grove.
- When the party was trying to decide their next steps after Rumblecusp, Caduceus said that he was sure the Blooming Grove was now all right, although he'd look when he was ready.
- Caduceus said that he is now paying off the debts he owed to each of the Mighty Nein.
- In "Wood and Steel" (2x58), Caduceus learned the sword is Uthodurnian, an isolated dual society north of the Dwendalian Empire where elves and dwarves live together. It is unlikely anyone who is not Uthodurnian will have the unique skill needed to reforge it.
- In "Causatum" (2x70), Caduceus cast Legend Lore on the pieces of the sword. From the spell he learned that the sword's name was Dwueth'var, the Star Razor. It was forged during the Age of Arcanum by two acolytes- one of Melora, the Wildmother and one of Sehanine, the Moonweaver. Later, an Uthodurnian smith reforged and strengthened it. It was sundered during a battle in the Savalirwood. The pieces have been scattered over time.
- In "Refjorged" (2x76), with the assembled pieces, right materials, and a capable blacksmith, Dwueth'var was reforged once again at the Cinderrest Sanctum. Afterward it was gifted to Fjord by Caduceus, as a reward for resisting Uk'otoa.
- A bag of tea leaves and flowers cultivated from the Blooming Grove grave garden
- Blightstaff: A knotted wooden magical staff topped with a large uncut amethyst.
- Covered in lichen and described as being "wet" and "alive".
- This staff lets him summon a Swarm of Insects that act on his turn.
- Green Beetle Breastplate: A metal breastplate and shield made to look like pearlescent turquoise green-blue chitin.
- Periapt of Wound Closure (given to him by Caleb after Caduceus suffered a series of near-death experiences)
- Shield of Retribution
- Public Debate Records: Forum of Zeidel (taken from Halas's library)
- Halas's book on plant corruption
- Tea set
- Cooking set
- Herbalism Kit
- Garlic and spices
- Cookbooks on mushrooms and pastries (given to him by Jester)
- Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location
- Aeorian protective chest plate (found in the ruins of Aeor)
- +1 to AC, 5 temporary hit points every turn for 1 minute when activated 1x/day.
- Quaal's Feather Token (Tree)
- Two pieces of Dwueth'var (The Star Razor). Purchased at The Invulnerable Vagrant and earned in a quest. Uthudurnian in origin.
- Straw Hat (replaced by Jester after she stole his previous one) (given to Clarabelle)
- A bone flute that, when played, sounds like a person screaming (given to Calliope)
- Shield made out of beetle
- Caduceus no longer used this shield since he got the Shield of Retribution, but kept it for sentimental reasons.
- When Caduceus offered the shield to Vokodo, Vokodo rejected it, but it was unclear whether he had kept it. When Veth was retrieving items, Caduceus asked her to look for a shield, mentioning that it had sentimental value, but Veth did not list it among the items she searched for.
- Charm of Plant Command (given to Jester)
- War Caster
- Firbolg Magic
- Hidden Step
- Powerful Build
- Speech of Beast and Leaf
- Channel Divinity (2 uses)
- Divine Domain (Grave Domain)
- Divine Intervention
- Ritual Casting
- False Life
- Antilife Shell
- Raise Dead
In addition to his domain spells, Caduceus knows five cleric cantrips, the Spare the Dying cantrip and the Decompose cantrip. As a 15th-level cleric, he has access to all 1st- through 8th-level cleric spells and can prepare up to 20 of these spells per day. As part of the Grave Domain, Spare The Dying can be cast as a bonus action and has a range of 30 feet.
- Sacred Flame
- Spare the Dying
Decompose was given to Caduceus as an additional homebrew flavor cantrip.
- Create or Destroy Water
- Cure Wounds
- Guiding Bolt
- Healing Word
- Protection from Evil and Good
- Calm Emotions
- Enhance Ability
- Find Traps
- Lesser Restoration
- Locate Object
- Prayer of Healing
- Protection from Poison
- Beacon of Hope
- Create Food and Water
- Dispel Magic
- Mass Healing Word
- Meld into Stone
- Motivational Speech
- Speak with Dead
- Spirit Guardians
- Water Walk
- Conjure Celestial
- Beau: "You're drinking dead people tea?"
Caduceus: "Aren't we all?"
Caleb: "That is a very fair point."
Beau: "Very true. But you're cultivating dead people for good tea?"
Caduceus: "Aren't we all?
- "Have you ever been in nature? Yes. Violence is extremely natural."
- (comforting Jester and Fjord after they learn of Molly's death) "I mean, this is pretty good from a certain perspective. I mean, if you think about it, bad things happen to people every day. And then you have a bunch of people who care about you so much that they come and save you, fix it, defeat a great evil. I mean, nothing this good ever happens. This is great."
- Caduceus: (at Molly's grave) "Something will be here."
Beau: "What did you just do?"
Caduceus: "I made the Earth remember him."
- (in the Evening Nip in Zadash) "I've had six drinks. I'm in the biggest city I've ever been in. Everything tastes terrible!"
- (happily bemused) "I don't understand what that means."
- (also happily bemused) "I don't understand what's going on."
- (still happily bemused) "That's really great."
- (after realizing Fjord slept with Avantika) "Sleep well with your bad decisions."
- Things tend to live...
- (after exorcising a ghost from Beauregard) "Not cool, man."
- (after walking out of a wall during a fight with a dragon) "We're running; it's bad!"
- Caduceus: (to Beau, discussing the adventure in the Happy Fun Ball of Tricks) "Something's happening. I don't know what, but something's happening. And you did good."
Beau: "So did you."
Caduceus: "Thank you. Do better next time to keep everybody safe."
- "It's always worth making friends, no matter where you are."
- "There's no way nature is separate. We're part of it. We communicate with the world every day, with every breath. Everything we do is our declaration of our love and adoration, or our denial of it."
- "Things die. Some come back."
- "Am I the only person here who doesn't instantly assume that they're the bad guy? Has anybody else here actually had any experience being just trusted and doing the right thing? Is this so alien?"
- "Sometimes it's okay to not know what's happening. And when you don't know what's happening, it's all right to sometimes submit to somebody with a higher perspective. I follow a higher perspective as often as I can and right now we're being offered a slightly more mortal, higher perspective. If we had information that contradicted it, if we had other ideas, I would say that's one thing, but simply just deciding that authority should be disavowed because it's authority seems reckless."
- Caduceus: "That's the trick with faith."
Beau: "Is that it's always an experiment?"
Caduceus: "That if you're not willing to move forward in it until you know, then you don't need it, do you? If you know, it's not faith."
- "It's important not to get angry at people for what they don't know."
- "Eventually, some day, somebody will pray for a miracle, pray for something to save them, to whatever gods are nearby, and that prayer will be answered because you’ll show up. That’s how it works. That’s what a champion is."
- "[The Wildmother]'s always listening. The answers that you get may not be the ones you want, and the answers may come in ways that you don't necessarily understand or are almost too obvious to see. The answer may be that you need to find where your power is."
- "Death is just a pause."
- "Nott, you have to understand the difference between an opportunity and a temptation. That was a temptation."
- (about the Mighty Nein) "This is a garden. This is a good garden. A lot of manure." (chuckles) "But a good garden."
- "I regret my weakness."
- "There is something to be gained by seeing one’s parents once we’ve matured enough to see how fragile they are."
- "Absence isn’t the opposite of love. There’s plenty of ways to show someone you don’t love them that don’t involve not being there."
- "The only thing I’ve ever found that brings closure is when everyone’s finally in the ground."
- "All a god is, really, is a cult with a franchise."
- "Help, it's again."
- "There's room for a lot in this world and if you have a whole planet of carpenters, then nothing ever gets done. You need a bit of everything and we're fine." 
- (to Fjord) "Someone prayed for a miracle and there you were."
- (to Yasha) "Patience is fine, but it can curdle into apathy."
- Eadwulf: "And you, what are you?"
Caduceus: "Vegetarian, so I hope the meal reflects that."
- (to Trent Ikithon) "I think perhaps you are one of the most powerful mages that I've ever had the pleasure to be in the presence of. And for this I would offer a gift. I think it has been a long time since anyone has pointed out to you that you're a fool. Pain doesn't make people, it's love that makes people. The pain is inconsequential. It's love that saves them. And you would know that but you have none around you. You said so yourself, you surround yourself with lies and deceptions. And I wish for you, in the future, to find someone to mourn you when you are gone."
- "Well, I mean, yeah, you sit on a horse, these things happen”
- (to Jester) "Someone once said pain is good for you."
Jester: "Who said that?"
Caduceus: "I don't know they're terrible people." 
- (said to Beau after trying to lie to Iver) "I dipped my toe into the world of lies and deceit and it did not turn out well."
- "I don't know how to put this but we are currently on what is possibly the universe's largest cadaver. This is what I was born to do, is to put this fucking thing down. Let's end this shit."
- (when using Divine Intervention to bring back Molly) "Whoever it was, just put it back. I think they've earned it. Put it back."
- (to Eadwulf) "The Matron has special destinations for people who burn temples. So why don't you put your back into this?" 
- Caduceus is tied with Jester for the highest wisdom (20) of all of The Mighty Nein. He also has the lowest intelligence (10).
- A caduceus is an ancient Greek or Roman herald's wand, typically one with two serpents twined around it, carried by the messenger god, Hermes or Mercury. Hermes also acted as a psychopomp, a being tasked with guiding the souls of the dead to the afterlife. The Caduceus acted as a key to the underworld, and as a tool to guide the deceased. The Caduceus is associated with healing in the US due to its similarity to the rod of Asclepius.
- His name may also be a reference to Cassius Clay, the birth name of Muhammad Ali.
- Caduceus claimed to be a good gardener, having grown lilies, bramble, mushrooms, and moss within the sanctuary of the Blooming Grove.
- Caduceus's resemblance to RPG designer Adam Koebel quickly drew comment from Adam, Matt, and Taliesin.
- While Caduceus's love of tea appears to be a reference to the last name of Mollymauk Tealeaf, and his official color palette matches that of Arizona Green Tea, Taliesin has stated that these relations are all purely coincidental, and Caduceus's habit of drinking tea was a spur of the moment decision he made moments before being introduced.
- Caduceus is Taliesin's first character in Critical Role not built on any character options created by Matt.
- Matt revealed on Twitter that the cantrip "Decompose" was custom created for Caduceus as a sort of flavor cantrip. 
- Taliesin revealed on Talks Machina that the pink on Caduceus's armor isn't flowers but a specific species of lichen. Similarly, his hair is not naturally pink. After being away from the Grove for some time, his hair began to fade in pinkness, presumably because he was no longer able to dye it with lichen.
- Awakening from a night's rest along the road through the Ashkeeper Peaks in the Menagerie Coast, the Mighty Nein met a pet vendor heading north to Rexxentrum. During this interaction Taliesin expressed that he and Caduceus were in conflict over wanting to purchase the crimson weasel as Caduceus was a vegetarian.
- It can be assumed that Caduceus is a virgin, as it is implied that he is unaware of the sensation of "post-coital feelings" Beau mentions when he observes the dodecahedron.
- Caduceus is potentially the oldest main player character in either campaign, only possibly younger than Scanlan. He is also potentially the eldest member of the Mighty Nein, only possibly younger than Essek.
- Taliesin confirmed in Talks Machina Episode 96 that Cornelius, given earlier as a false name to Avantika, is the name of Caduceus's father.
- "Duplicity" (2x55) marks the first time Caduceus has died, having been killed in the blast radius of Nott's exploding crossbow bolt to kill an Incubus. He was shortly revived via Jester's Revivify spell.
- Caduceus is somewhat insistent about the difference between a cemetery and a graveyard, a graveyard having a temple attached where a cemetery does not.
- Caduceus is the second player character to replace one who had been killed or retired, following Taryon Darrington, and the first to do so on a permanent basis.
- Caduceus's staff was handmade using materials found in the Blooming Grove.
- Taliesin decided that Caduceus was asexual while he was creating the character. He never expected it to come up naturally during the game, however, and thought it would be something to share as commentary after the campaign was over, as he didn't want to mention it without reason in-game.
- Caduceus' height has been noted differently on many occasions, as he claims to be taller than Nila (who is either 7'2" or 7'6") but also says he's "about 7 feet tall".
- Caduceus has had the most successful attempts at Divine Intervention, with a total of 3.
- Caduceus is bad at charades, but he loves miming.
- Mighty Nein Playlist: Caduceus Clay (February 22, 2019)
- Mighty Nein Playlist: Caduceus Clay #2 (July 24, 2020)
- Official 2020 portrait of Caduceus (current), by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Official 2019 portrait of Caduceus Clay (previous), by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Official portrait of Caduceus Clay (debut), by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- 2018 Official full body portrait of Caduceus Clay, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- 2019 Official full body portrait of Caduceus, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- 2020 Caduceus's winter outfit, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus Clay, by Sam Hogg (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by Nikki Dawes (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by Megzilla87 (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of "We're running! It's bad!", by Joanna Johnen (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus in the Blooming Grove, by Linda Lithén (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by Jessica Nguyen (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus Casting Spirit Guardians, by Josh Ketchen (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus casting Commune, by Nikki Dawes (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by Zoe Roellin (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus discovering his petrified family, by GalacticJonah (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus Blinding Fjord, by @ambikyu (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus' speech to Trent, by GalacticJonah (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus in the Spring at the Blooming Grove, by Bunchu (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of the witch of the Savalirwood, by ambrosiorum (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Fjord's symbol of Melora, by Doug Myers (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus in the Savalirwood, by Michael Malkin (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus Clay, by nelmdraws (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus meditating at the spring, by Danea Fidler (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by elimnebe (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by Anna Landin (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus, by BlackSalander (source). Used with permission.
- Fan art of Caduceus Clay, by Vanessa Dambach (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's original 2018 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's original 2018 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2019 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2019 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2019 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2019 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2020 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2020 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.
- Concept art for Caduceus's 2020 portrait, by Ari (source). Used with permission.