|This article is a stub. Please help the Critical Role wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, or improving existing text.
Bertrand Bell is a human fighter. He is played by Travis Willingham.
Description[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Sir Bertrand Bell is in his late 50s or early 60s. He has been described as a "devilish silver fox son of a bitch." He wears beautiful orange, maroon, and purple robes of the finest make, with a beautiful rapier on his hip. He also has tan skin and piercing blue eyes.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Biography[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
Bertrand claimed he was famous for slaying the 'whispering werewolf in the east' as well as the 'horrible hippogriff of the west', though it's not known if this is true.
"The Search for Grog" (Sx42)[edit | edit source]
Bertrand initially claimed to be a veteran warrior of renown and an expert on the plane of Pandemonium, but it soon became clear to the group that Bertrand was merely posturing in front of Vasselheim's leadership and knew little about their destination - in fact, before Highbearer Vord suggested he be Vox Machina's guide Bertrand only meant to advise them on the plane and never planned to accompany them. Regardless, he nervously assisted in their search to rescue Grog's soul from Pandemonium, even taking the charge into the sandstorms when they first arrived.
"The Search For Bob" (Sx45)[edit | edit source]
When the group came across an odd metallic fruit-bearing tree, Bertrand claimed to know it's type. So when the group decided they wanted a fruit to inspect, Bertrand was goaded into getting it.
Upon returning to Whitestone from Pandemonium, Bertrand immediately declared that he never wanted to see Vox Machina again, he was retiring right then, and left the group. Lieve'tel chased after him to try and convince him otherwise. Due to his prompt departure before Shanak crafted statues of Vox Machina and Lieve'tel, Bertrand was likely not included among them.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Character Information[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Feats[edit | edit source]
Fighter Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Action Surge (two uses per short rest)
- Extra Attack (2)
- Fighting Style
- Indomitable (three uses per long rest)
- Martial Archetype
- Second Wind
Notable Items[edit | edit source]
Quotations[edit | edit source]
"That is the most pompous, egotistical arsehole I've ever met in my entire life!" - Percy, about Bertrand 
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Since the one-shot Vox Machina: The Search for Grog revolved around rescuing Travis' character, Bertrand was made as a temporary player character for the liveshow
- It's likely that Bertrand Bell is based off of the character Gilderoy Lockhart, a similarly suave and 'dashingly handsome' man from the Harry Potter series. Both characters present themselves as bombastic heroes, though in reality are mostly just talk.
- Bertrand is the fourth character to replace one who had been killed or retired, following Taryon Darrington, Caduceus Clay, and Lieve'tel Toluse.
References[edit | edit source]
- See "The Search For Bob" (Sx45) at 2:07:19. Bertrand proclaims "Is it Minotaur? I speak Minotaur"
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 4:21:41. Travis notes that he should have used Luck
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 3:45:05. Bertrand uses an Action Surge
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 4:20:40. Bertrand uses another Action Surge
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 4:22:44. Bertrand uses Second Wind
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 3:47:12. Travis notes that the rapier is a +3 rapier
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 1:46:06.
- See "The Search for Grog" (Sx42) at 1:44:08.