Critical Role Wiki

This wiki contains spoilers for the entirety of Critical Role and The Legend of Vox Machina. Proceed at your own risk!


Critical Role Wiki
Critical Role Wiki

The Ashguard Garrison is an outpost guarding the frontier of the Dwendalian Empire against incursions from Xhorhas. It guards the passages on the south side of the Brokenveil Bluffs, and the Rockguard Garrison guards the north side.


The garrison, along with its sister outpost the Rockguard Garrison, was constructed under the direction and oversight of Martinet Ludinus Da'leth when he became Archmage of Domestic Protections.[1]

The Ashguard Garrison fell to the Kryn Dynasty in early Fessuran 835 PD, triggering the official start of the War of Ash and Light. Since there were over 1,000 deaths in the battle, it must have held at least this many troops.[2]

In response, the Dwendalian Empire attempted to retake the Dynasty-held garrison with three legions[3] after sending the Scourgers to strategically assassinate members of the Dynasty as a distraction, but Jester overheard King Dwendal give these orders while she was Scrying on Vence Nuthaleus,[4] and the Mighty Nein warned the Kryn of the impending assault.[5] Eight days later, Leylas Kryn thanked the Mighty Nein because their warning saved many lives on the Dynasty side,[6] and Dairon reported that the unsuccessful attempts to regain the garrison cost many lives on the Empire side.[7]

More than a month later, the Empire did retake the garrison, at the cost of many more lives.[8]


During the Kryn occupation in 835 and 836 PD, the Ashguard Garrison had a population of 5,720, of which 74% were dark elves (drow) while the other 26% were other races.[9] It is unknown what the demographic makeup of the garrison is after the Empire retook it.


  1. See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 42.
  2. See "Harvest Close" (2x17) at 2:25:27.
  3. Historically, a legion comprised several thousand fighters.
  4. See "Domestic Respite" (2x62) at 3:35:15.
  5. See "Intervention" (2x63) at 0:29:29.
  6. See "Causatum" (2x70) at 2:35:42.
  7. See "Family Gathering" (2x71) at 0:29:33.
  8. See "From Door to Door" (2x81) at 3:25:23.
  9. See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 79.


  1. DDB Explorer's Guide to Wildemount - Sources on D&D Beyond. This file is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.