Ankhegs are large insectoid creatures that live underground.
An ankheg is a large, 8–9-foot-long, cockroach-like creature with long antennae. The length of the body consists of segmented armor like plates held together by hard, yellowish muscle sinew. Several legs protrude out of its body; of these their front pair are adapted with sharp hooks for burrowing and for grasping prey. Its head has large, powerful mandibles that can snap a small tree in half, and its throat contains a basketball-sized sac which produces a dark green acid for spitting out at prey. These creatures have light green blood.
- Senses: Darkvision, Tremorsense
- The hard, yellowish muscle sinew and tendons under its segmented chitinous armor could be used to make strong cord.
- Basketball-sized acid-producing sacs.
"The Mines of the Many" (1x98)
"Found & Lost" (2x26)
While the Mighty Nein were heading north from Hupperdook towards Shadycreek Run in an effort to catch the Iron Shepherds and rescue Jester, Fjord, and Yasha from enslavement, they decided to not take the path through towards the crossroads but instead take the presumed quicker path around the forest. Making their way around the forest, they discovered an abandoned homestead that was around 200 feet from the northern edge of the Crispvale Thicket. After making camp the party prepared to take a rest; they sensed localized rumbling and the horses being distressed, and the party was assaulted by group of ankhegs that emerged out of the ground and spit acid at their horses, leading to the deaths of Water Closet and Loo.
The desert-based variant of ankhegs are used to create the extremely strong alcoholic beverage, Sandkheg's Hide.
- . This file is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.
- Fan art of an ankheg attacking the Mighty Nein's horses, W.C. and Loo, by Callum Lyall (source). Used with permission.