Near the beginning of the Calamity, Alyxian was born in Wildemount under the full moon of Ruidus, cursing him to a life of terrible suffering. During the early battles of the Calamity he distinguished himself as a warrior, and was granted the blessings of Avandra, Corellon, and Sehanine, who gifted him the Jewel of Three Prayers as a symbol of these divine covenants. He is credited with saving Exandria from wars inflamed by Gruumsh, the Ruiner, but as of 836 PD, he is almost entirely lost to history.
According to legend, during the Calamity Gruumsh targeted Cael Morrow, a utopian city on what was then the lushly jungled continent of Marquet. Gruumsh attempted to strike the center of the city with a force intended to destroy the entire continent, but he was blocked by Alyxian at the last second. As a result, Marquet survived, although much of the jungle became desert. Alyxian's ties to Ruidus created a rift in which Cael Morrow's waters combined with unknown planar magic to create the Netherdeep beneath what is now the city of Ank'Harel, which grew from the handful of Cael Morrow's survivors. The Apotheon was trapped within the Netherdeep, slumbering for centuries.
During the 830s PD, academics of the Allegiance of Allsight discovered ruidium in the sunken ruins of Cael Morrow beneath Ank'Harel. Shortly afterwards, an agent of the Consortium of the Vermilion Dream managed to penetrate the ruins and extract a sample of ruidium. This awakened the dormant but still powerful Apotheon, causing him to corrupt all the ruidium in existence. Alyxian begged his three sponsoring gods to send heroes to save him.
- Jewel of Three Prayers
- Avandra's brooch
- Corellon's dagger
- Sehanine's shield
Appearances and mentions
- Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn, mentioned only (first mentioned)
- Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep (first appearance)
- Campaign Three: Bells Hells
- "Omens Above" (3x19), mentioned only
- See Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn, p. 10.
- See "Omens Above" (3x19) at 33:22.
- See Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn, p. 10. See also p. 15.
- See Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep, p. 4, 6-7. Introduction: Answering the Call. "Story Overview."
- See Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep, p. 7.
- See Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep, pp. 7–8.
- Depiction of Alyxian from Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep. This file is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.
- Depiction of the Jewel of Three Prayers in its three forms: dormant (top), awakened (left) and exalted (right), by CoupleOfKooks from Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep. Used with permission. This file is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.