|This article is a stub. Please help the Critical Role wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, or improving existing text.
The Abyss is one of the Outer Planes, separated from the mortal planes by the Divine Gate. The mad deity Tharizdun, the Chained Oblivion, dreams its infinite depths and demon hordes into being, and since Tharizdun's defeat at the hands of Pelor in the Calamity the god has been shackled in the deepest pits of the Abyss.
Connections to Exandria
Arcane devices called Abyssal Anchors can slowly tear holes through the barriers between the Abyss and the Prime Material Plane; they were used during the Calamity to allow demon generals to invade various places in Exandria, and the Angel of Irons cult used crude versions to cause demonic incursions in the Kryn Dynasty.
Around 795 PD, a group of dungeoneers accidentally reactivated the gateway to the Abyss within Bazzoxan, which has remained open ever since, requiring a full-time containment effort by the Aurora Watch.
Many beings reside within the Abyss, primarily demons.
- Barlguras - Summoned by Fjord more than once.
- Orcus: Demon Prince of the Undead and particular enemy of the Raven Queen.
- Yeenoghu: A demon lord of hunger and destruction chiefly worshiped by evil gnolls.
- Graz'zt: Demon Prince of Indulgence, Dark Prince of the Argent Palace, whom Obann once served as his Master of Wills. King Trist Drassig pledged himself to Graz'zt during the Scattered War, and Graz'zt sent a horde of demons to fight on Drassig's side during the Battle of the Umbra Hills.
- Baphomet: The Horned King, Demon Prince of Beasts, master of minotaurs and other demonic bestial creatures.
- Orthax: Shadow demon who made pacts of vengeance with Percy and then Anna Ripley.
- Juurezel: A glabrezu (treachery demon) who infiltrated (and trapped the souls of) the family of Sovereign Uriel Tal'Dorei II and grew increasingly bold in his influence until Vox Machina rooted him out; he killed Pike before he was defeated.
- Yenk: A goristro from the Endless Maze who devoured the Spire of Conflux and its previous wielder, Joran the Sea-Speaker, around the early fifth century PD. Vox Machina used a Gate scroll to rip him from the Abyss in order to draw in and soften up Vorugal.
Points of Interest
- The Endless Maze: The layer where Baphomet resides.
- Azzatar: The domain Graz'zt controls.
- Thanatos: The layer over which Orcus reigns.
- Demonweb: The domain of Lolth, the Spider Queen, is tethered to the Abyss. Also called the Dreadnest.
- See "Causatum" (2x70) at 57:19.
- See Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 19.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 28.
- See "Beneath Bazzoxan" (2x66) at 2:14:44.
- See "Duplicity" (2x55) at 4:16:53.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 151.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, pp. 134–135.
- See "In Hot Water" (2x43) at 57:27.
- See "Chases and Trees" (2x65) at 1:54:47.
- The Mighty Nein don't recognize the jellyfish-like entity that has come through a tear caused by an Abyssal anchor, but Matthew Mercer confirmed its identity in a tweet on April 26, 2019. See "A Turtle By Any Other Name" (2x60) at 12:31.
- The Mighty Nein fought three of these demons who had come through a tear caused by an Abyssal anchor. See from 2x52 through 2:11:40.
- See "Glass and Bone" (1x08) at 0:55:41.
- See "Into the Frostweald" (1x48) at 1:30:44.
- See "The Howling Mines" (2x06) at 49:38. Mollymauk recalls some details about Yeenoghu and the Abyss.
- See "Between the Lines" (2x78) at 3:19:54.
- See Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, p. 64.
- See "Causatum" (2x70) at 1:12:12.
- See "Between the Lines" (2x78) at 2:46:56.
- See "Talks Machina: Campaign Wrap-up" (Sx31) at 45:25.
- See "The Story of Vox Machina" (Sx06) from 15:32 through 17:52. The story of Uriel coming under demonic influence starts at 6:46, but the confrontation is described in those later minutes.
- See "Duskmeadow" (1x57) at 3:06:25.
- See "A Name Is Earned" (1x49) from 4:46:03 through 4:46:22.
- See "Vorugal" (1x71) at 2:22:55.
- See "A Name Is Earned" (1x49) at 4:45:43.
- See "Voice of the Tempest" (1x90) at 1:26:11.
- See Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, p. 27.
- See The Tales of Exandria: The Bright Queen #2.
- Fan art of the Umbra Gate in Bazzoxan, by Miloš Radojkić (source). Used with permission.
- Official art of Juurezel, by Titmouse from The Legend of Vox Machina teaser trailer. This file is a copyrighted work. Its use in this article is asserted to qualify as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.